The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 5th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas ➡️
Yes, I replaced the programs with the ones that came from AITB and in my case it worked.
I got it to work and I’m embarrassed to say I don’t recall what I did to get it to work
Old 7th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey does anyone know what is this mess when I load a 96khz program into a 48khz session?
I'm on Windows 10, latest N4.5

*The same 44.1 programs work fine
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-screenshot-2022-12-07-154529.jpg   Nebula must have-screenshot-2022-12-07-154645.jpg  
Old 7th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So regarding official 3rd party libraries, we now have Taipei and Verona updates that are M1-ready. Awesome. I just checked Virgo too and this also seems to still work, even tho I'm not sure if it has been updated recently for M1? I'm getting the "Please Authorize" error for Brighton and Surrey. Can I get refunds for these two products I paid for that no longer work?
Old 8th December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Upgrading to a new computer I noticed a message from Henry Olonga from 2016 where he said:

Hey Guys - thought I would add a few tricks for you if you are using my latest releases - seeing as I am now actually making my album with them on a daily basis . The original presets would require extensive updating. Anyway - it will give all your presets a new lease of life and get you closer to hardware performance. IMHO.

These tweaks are more for bedroom producers who have time to tweak and want the best possible quality and realism. Perhaps if you run a big studio and have deadlines then just use the tools as is. All of this is subjective of course. This is ART!!!

I have been going for the Peak setting most of the time in the under the hood settings but sometimes it doesn't work on too percussive material. So for example a sustained bass may sound great with the NV PRE PRO but slap funky percussive bass may sound like they are pumping in an un natural way. Part of the solution is to change the setting to RMS-17. This also applies to other presets like amps and Pres - you can choose. Basically if you have really percussive material that misbehaves then try changing the setting. It may also be that RMS-17 is preferred in most cases but to get that interesting crunchy distortion perhaps Peak is best.

Anyway - go into EDIT - EVFS - EVV TYPE and scroll through using the second fader to chose either Peak or RMS-17. You can audition and choose which ever works best on the fly.

With the ENVS setting you can choose between Linear or what I am using now more and more - EXP.
Great to tweak these settings for master bus presets to find out which one works great as well

Add that to the option for Timed and you can really tone shape more than you imagined
They really do make a difference to the way the presets react and are too numerous for me to tweak so I leave it up to you.
My favourite is to work at 64 bit 96 khz - load the 192 khz preset and then do the tweaks. Bounce down - either 'in the box' or through hardware - or even through the SPIDF - YES there is a difference - move on - sounds great! Don't worry you don't need to keep tweaking all the time. You tweak when you hear a problem or desire a different tone.

Best wishes
Henry

I neither know if it's relevant still nor nothin'

But yeah we should expedite some message to Henry if he can benefit from managing the 96kHz All You Can Eat library some new way?
Old 8th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I always wanted a 33609 comp, I tested all the best emulations of it: T-Racks, Arturia one even with the cupwise tone after, but all sounded toyish if i can say like that. The AlexB library is just another world. I putted on almost all buses and tracks of my projects that I actually working on. I wanted to buy the Cupwise one first but ended to choose the AlexB one with the Azzimov Skin.
So my next buy will surely the C660 and 9K from Cupwise, 2500 is also on my list

Anyone can recommend me a nice tube preamp ?

PS: Some request for the 3rd party Nebula developers It would be really nice to see some Foote compressor, Drawmer and Overstayer libraries and of course a proper Distressor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by locobitch ➡️
I always wanted a 33609 comp, I tested all the best emulations of it: T-Racks, Arturia one even with the cupwise tone after, but all sounded toyish if i can say like that. The AlexB library is just another world. I putted on almost all buses and tracks of my projects that I actually working on. I wanted to buy the Cupwise one first but ended to choose the AlexB one with the Azzimov Skin.
So my next buy will surely the C660 and 9K from Cupwise, 2500 is also on my list

PS: Some request for the 3rd party Nebula developers It would be really nice to see some Foote compressor, Drawmer and Overstayer libraries and of course a proper Distressor
Sorry, just to clarify, it’s the AlexB N09GE library you’ve found to be the best 33609 plugin/library you’ve tested?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey does anyone know what is this mess when I load a 96khz program into a 48khz session?
I'm on Windows 10, latest N4.5

*The same 44.1 programs work fine
I thought you were supposed to load 48k programs into 48k sessions? Conversely, 96k programs into 96k sessions.. keep the samplerate the same as the session?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Ha. I am kinda crazy about the 33609. I have Alex b, Cupwise, Arturia, Ik, and while I don't have an actual 33609 unit, I have the heritage successor and a pair of Neve 2264 alb. I have done a lot of comparing. The Alex b one is indeed very good, but I gotta say i disagree on the Arturia thing. I think it's definitely one of the best, if not the best software 33609. (I haven't tried the uad one). Well, let's just say, it's my favourite choice. It's easy to use, more flexible, and doesn't use much cpu. The sidechain is great and helps get to the authentic sound. It sounds just like my hardware diode comps. The 33609n I believe has a 100hz sidechain on slow attack mode, which is for buss compression.

Last edited by wafa; 8th December 2022 at 07:13 PM..
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose ➡️
I thought you were supposed to load 48k programs into 48k sessions? Conversely, 96k programs into 96k sessions.. keep the samplerate the same as the session?
The older libraries only have 96kHz and 44.1kHz programs. The really old libraries only had 96kHz!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose ➡️
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinmusic ➡️
The older libraries only have 96kHz and 44.1kHz programs. The really old libraries only had 96kHz!
Exactly, there are some libraries from AlexB, AITB etc that have only 44.1 and 96 khz programs, so in my 48khz session I prefer to use the higher sample rate. 'Till know I didn't have listen something strange but recently I updated N4 to N4.5. Perhaps there is something wrong there.
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Exactly, there are some libraries from AlexB, AITB etc that have only 44.1 and 96 khz programs, so in my 48khz session I prefer to use the higher sample rate. 'Till know I didn't have listen something strange but recently I updated N4 to N4.5. Perhaps there is something wrong there.
Some people have reported issues with the newest N4 updates, but I personally am not having any problems with it. I use mostly newer libraries, though. New enough to have more sample rates available, but some devs have been providing that for 4 or 5 years now. Try downgrading your Nebula versions and try again.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa ➡️
Ha. I am kinda crazy about the 33609. I have Alex b, Cupwise, Arturia, Ik, and while I don't have an actual 33609 unit, I have the heritage successor and a pair of Neve 2264 alb. I have done a lot of comparing. The Alex b one is indeed very good, but I gotta say i disagree on the Arturia thing. I think it's definitely one of the best, if not the best software 33609. (I haven't tried the uad one). Well, let's just say, it's my favourite choice. It's easy to use, more flexible, and doesn't use much cpu. The sidechain is great and helps get to the authentic sound. It sounds just like my hardware diode comps. The 33609n I believe has a 100hz sidechain on slow attack mode, which is for buss compression.
Have to agree, the Arturia version is seriously good. I’ve got the RND 5254 and the Arturia wins out on some stuff.
Old 9th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Upgrading to a new computer I noticed a message from Henry Olonga from 2016 where he said:

Hey Guys - thought I would add a few tricks for you if you are using my latest releases - seeing as I am now actually making my album with them on a daily basis . The original presets would require extensive updating. Anyway - it will give all your presets a new lease of life and get you closer to hardware performance. IMHO.

These tweaks are more for bedroom producers who have time to tweak and want the best possible quality and realism. Perhaps if you run a big studio and have deadlines then just use the tools as is. All of this is subjective of course. This is ART!!!

I have been going for the Peak setting most of the time in the under the hood settings but sometimes it doesn't work on too percussive material. So for example a sustained bass may sound great with the NV PRE PRO but slap funky percussive bass may sound like they are pumping in an un natural way. Part of the solution is to change the setting to RMS-17. This also applies to other presets like amps and Pres - you can choose. Basically if you have really percussive material that misbehaves then try changing the setting. It may also be that RMS-17 is preferred in most cases but to get that interesting crunchy distortion perhaps Peak is best.

Anyway - go into EDIT - EVFS - EVV TYPE and scroll through using the second fader to chose either Peak or RMS-17. You can audition and choose which ever works best on the fly.

With the ENVS setting you can choose between Linear or what I am using now more and more - EXP.
Great to tweak these settings for master bus presets to find out which one works great as well

Add that to the option for Timed and you can really tone shape more than you imagined
They really do make a difference to the way the presets react and are too numerous for me to tweak so I leave it up to you.
My favourite is to work at 64 bit 96 khz - load the 192 khz preset and then do the tweaks. Bounce down - either 'in the box' or through hardware - or even through the SPIDF - YES there is a difference - move on - sounds great! Don't worry you don't need to keep tweaking all the time. You tweak when you hear a problem or desire a different tone.

Best wishes
Henry

I neither know if it's relevant still nor nothin'

But yeah we should expedite some message to Henry if he can benefit from managing the 96kHz All You Can Eat library some new way?
Interesting post!
Old 9th December 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg ➡️
Sorry, just to clarify, it’s the AlexB N09GE library you’ve found to be the best 33609 plugin/library you’ve tested?
I haven't tested the Cupwise 33609 so the AlexB one is the only 33609 library that i tried. In emulation side, i tried the Arturia one and the IK one and yes for me the AlexB 33609 library sound better to my ears than the plugins.
Old 11th December 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Someone please help with getting max’s skins to workin in pro tools, never had any issues with logic but they don’t seem to show up after the - “selecting axx”, save” process. Thanks.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Is there a Nebula version of the Thermionic Phoenix compressor?

I'm about to sell my actual unit in order to fund something else, and it would be great if I had something that gives me the general box tone of it in software form.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by disp ➡️

I'm about to sell my actual unit in order to fund something else, and it would be great if I had something that gives me the general box tone of it in software form.
Yep, Violet (scroll down) :

https://acustica-audio.com/store/products/neb4server

You get it for free when you buy Nebula.

I quite like it, sound very nice.
I'm not sure how close the compression action is to the real thing, though, but if they update it to hyper tech, it'll be great.

Btw you cand find N4 fairly cheap second hand these days.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twkfrq ➡️
Yep, Violet (scroll down) :

https://acustica-audio.com/store/products/neb4server

You get it for free when you buy Nebula.

I quite like it, sound very nice.
I'm not sure how close the compression action is to the real thing, though, but if they update it to hyper tech, it'll be great.

Btw you cand find N4 fairly cheap second hand these days.
Oh nice. Thanks!
I already have N4. Been a Nebula user since 2012 or something actually
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Be sure to check https://justpaste.it/nebulabible

For color they're pretty nice, compression action is useless.
https://www.alexb.eu/nebula/compress...ompressor.html
https://www.alexb.eu/nebula/compress...ompressor.html
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone21 ➡️
Thanks! Very useful!
Gear Nut

Quote:
Oh nice. Thanks!
I already have N4. Been a Nebula user since 2012 or something actually
If you find some time, I'd be really interested to hear your observations on how close does Violet get when compared to the real thing (since you still have it).

have fun
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by twkfrq ➡️
If you find some time, I'd be really interested to hear your observations on how close does Violet get when compared to the real thing (since you still have it).

have fun
yeah I might actually do a shootout
Old 12th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lightbulb

Quote:

I just checked Cupwise S-609-A mk2 with Alex B and they're both badass! I mean really. Cupwise seems extroverted and AlexB, not quite introverted but control with finesse. Both have finesse.

Distressor, I completely love SKNote's Disto which has a new Clean algo that makes me think of the word "glossy" and will be on short reach from now on as I get this new computer going.

Tube preamp, AlexB's PC & S has many, and AlexB alsp has Modern Tube Preamp, which I think is an ADL 600 with various sets fo tubes including of course NOS. AlexBs 60's Austrian broadcast gear is addictive and endearing but it comes in the form of EQs.

Now Drawmer, there is one kicking around for years, I'd have to ask AA where it ended up. But it's got a phenomenon I don't understand, where it sounds a little more mastered than before, but say there are treble peaks, it won't show up so easily on the freq meters. It makes the frequencies conceal themselves a bit!

But it's something I first noticed as teenager looking at my dad's cassette deck's frequency columns and wondering why I'd hear treble repetitions but it didn't register what I was hearing. The Drawmer at long last imparts that same phenomenon. It's all magic to me

Cupwise's 33609 is worth it though, my first instinct firing them up comparing for the first time.

Last edited by JoeyM; 12th December 2022 at 04:26 AM..
Old 12th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wafa ➡️
Ha. I am kinda crazy about the 33609. I have Alex b, Cupwise, Arturia, Ik, and while I don't have an actual 33609 unit, I have the heritage successor and a pair of Neve 2264 alb. I have done a lot of comparing. The Alex b one is indeed very good, but I gotta say i disagree on the Arturia thing. I think it's definitely one of the best, if not the best software 33609. (I haven't tried the uad one). Well, let's just say, it's my favourite choice. It's easy to use, more flexible, and doesn't use much cpu.
I agree that the Arturia is the best one when it comes to CPU and also the best sounding out of of the algos. On some sources it's perfect, like on synths and backing vocals.

Soundwise for me though, the AlexB beats it when used on main organic sources and *especially* on the master. If you know how to tweak the Alex B on a master it's very hard to beat.

I also can't find an algo compressor I'm happy with on snare. That includes any Arturia compressor I've tried. I really miss the low end integrity and the directness of hw and nebula tech. And I don't like that light feeling, "toyish" treatment on snares.
Old 13th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Had a few moments to test AlexB’s new API 550B GE+ demo. I’ve struggled to appreciate the sound of API or find usage for my tastes (Pink, UAD, Waves) but this has to be one of the best sounding eqs for mixing. In my limited use, it doesn’t leave the signal sounding processed. Just passing the audio through it…cleaner than I’d expect but adds an organic analog quality that I find hard to replace. Sucks I missed the intro due to preconceived notions on what I like and don’t like…
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleu Fontaine ➡️
I’ve struggled to appreciate the sound of API or find usage for my tastes (Pink, UAD, Waves)
mind blown.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Had a few moments to test AlexB’s new API 550B GE+ demo. I’ve struggled to appreciate the sound of API or find usage for my tastes (Pink, UAD, Waves) but this has to be one of the best sounding eqs for mixing. In my limited use, it doesn’t leave the signal sounding processed. Just passing the audio through it…cleaner than I’d expect but adds an organic analog quality that I find hard to replace. Sucks I missed the intro due to preconceived notions on what I like and don’t like…
AlexB's API 550b is the best-sounding one that I've heard in the box! That includes Pink4, too. (*NOTE: I haven't listened to AITB's 550b, yet.) I was gonna skip AlexB's American 5B and just order his 550A GE+ upgrade, but he hasn't released it, yet. Like you, I had a preconceived notion that I wouldn't want his 550b - because I've preferred the 550A to the 550b in all the hardware and software comparisons that I can remember hearing.

Well, that would have been a yuge mistake!!!

AlexB hit this one out of the park, in my opinion. I mainly just bought it to support AlexB and to get another alternative API flavor. But, this one sounds killer! I'm glad that I got it. Also, I feel that this 5B GE+ library is better than his A16GE+ because, even though it sounds great, the console library has a few artifacts.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-5ge-plus-a16ge-plus-arti.png  

Last edited by wagz; 14th December 2022 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: fixed another typo!
Old 14th December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagz ➡️
AlexB's API 550b is the best-sounding one that I've heard in the box! That includes Pink4, too. (*NOTE: I haven't listened to AITB's 550b, yet.) I was gonna skip AlexB's American 5B and just order his 550A GE+ upgrade, but he hasn't released it, yet. Like you, I had a preconceived notion that I wouldn't want his 550b - because I've preferred the 550A to the 550b in all the hardware and software comparisons that I can remember hearing.

Well, that would have been yuge a mistake!!!

AlexB hit this one out of the park, in my opinion. I mainly just bought it to support AlexB and to get another alternative API flavor. But, this one sounds killer! I'm glad that I got it. Also, I feel that this 5B GE+ library is better than his A16GE+ because, even though it sounds great, the console library has a few artifacts.
Hmm that was going to be my next question. I’m currently using Tulip preamps as my “tracking” console and it seems to fit perfectly prior to the API 550b. I’m now considering the A16GE+ as my mixing console over the 9k. Tulip provides plenty of “thick” mojo which easily replaced AlexBs VTC. What can I expect from the A16? I’m expecting a tighter low end and maybe punchier faster sounding transients but how do you feel it affects the overall timbre when added to the mix?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hmm that was going to be my next question. I’m currently using Tulip preamps as my “tracking” console and it seems to fit perfectly prior to the API 550b. I’m now considering the A16GE+ as my mixing console over the 9k. Tulip provides plenty of “thick” mojo. What can I expect from the A16? I’m expecting a tighter low end and maybe punchier faster sounding transients but how do you feel it affects the overall timbre when added to the mix?
Hmmm. I don't have Tulip or AlexB's 9K. So, I can't really tell you how they stack up to A16GE+. In my opinion, A16GE+ definitely has a punchy sound. It's punchier and tighter-sounding than MFC GE. As far as its transients go, they're faster than the transients of MFC GE, but a touch slower and rounder than the transients of SP79 GE - to the point that A16GE+ makes me wonder whether or not the harder, sharper-sounding SP79 GE is just a tiny, tiny bit harsh. So, A16GE+ sits right in between those two, sounding sweet and punchy. Of all of my Nebula console libraries, A16GE+ has the best midrange, in my opinion.

A16GE+ brings a tight, punchy sound and a prettier, slightly more expensive-sounding midrange to the table. That's how I see it. (Sorry for all of the weird terminology. Hard to describe this stuff with words.)

I've linked this basic mix before. If you compare the 'A16E Plus CLEAN', 'SP79 GE CLEAN BUS', and 'MFC GE MIX BUS' files, maybe you'll hear what I hear... (Of course, it's entirely possible that I'm just crazy and imagining things. )

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ogf...1ewzXuUxI/view

Sorry I wasn't more helpful. Hopefully, someone who has Tulip, 9K, and A16GE+ can weigh in.

Last edited by wagz; 14th December 2022 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: fixed typo
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturatio ➡️
That was fast...
Doesn't look like you can get them anymore

https://www.fuseroom.com/plug-ins
Is there any way of obtaining these?
Fuseroom - Mindscape
Fuseroom - Quantam

I searched to no avail.