The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 27th November 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickerz ➡️
I'm in the 30% tier now Is there a higher one or have I reached the top.
Keep going... 55% is just around the corner.

Im not sure what happens if one spends 15k+, but if Acustica keeps knocking out undeniable gems, I'm sure Ill find out.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by think2wice ➡️
Im not sure what happens if one spends 15k+
Giancarlo comes around and samples your favorite gear.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synesthetic ➡️
Giancarlo comes around and samples your favorite gear.
Old 27th November 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just found out about this new Nebula plugin from Fuseroom & Alberto Rizzo Schettino, ie: the Quantum...

https://www.fuseroom.com/plug-ins

If it's based on this unit, it could be killer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm-WQnjwr6I
Old 28th November 2022 | Show parent
I've been slowly bringing all my ITB studio over to my new M1 MacBook, and just got to the Nebula stuff.
To be honest I'd shied away from using them because projects were getting too big, too involved, my computer too slow, and I am not used to committing tracks.
But now my machine hasn't yet blinked at what I've been throwing at it so I'm rekindling my love of Cupwise verbs, TimP's comps, etc...
What a gem TimP's Vari-level is! I don't think it's received the azzimov treatment yet, but I would love to see it some day.
Ra6 is so much chocolate, and the Opto32 is effortless. CX20 is gorgeousness on tap.
My mixing has improved, the material I'm working with has improved, and now I'm far better at appreciating what these tools can do.
Thanks all. Stay wooly.
Old 28th November 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM ➡️
Henry was so kind as to gift that to me back in the day, and it's about 30 GB. Without his permission I can't do anything but get Henry's blessing I can get it to team AA...
Thanks for replying!

Yes I was toying with idea of contacting Henry directly, think I'll do that. If he replies and tells my that I can just purchase the bundle via his nebulapresets page I'll do that.

Thanks for replying
Old 29th November 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️
I just found out about this new Nebula plugin from Fuseroom & Alberto Rizzo Schettino, ie: the Quantum...

That`s what I have from Alberto so far (Crane Song question via mail)

"Hello Omkar,
Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, you are 'close' (let's say ;-).
I wanted to capture the tape process of the unit and I was able to do so as transparently as possible through digital connections.
The library does not include any ADDA signal path from the original unit.
Best regards,"

I wrote back as he had a Quantam add online I was very much after but it`s gone atm.
Haven`t heard back since.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar ➡️
That`s what I have from Alberto so far (Crane Song question via mail)

"Hello Omkar,
Thanks for your inquiry. Yes, you are 'close' (let's say ;-).
I wanted to capture the tape process of the unit and I was able to do so as transparently as possible through digital connections.
The library does not include any ADDA signal path from the original unit.
Best regards,"

I wrote back as he had a Quantam add online I was very much after but it`s gone atm.
Haven`t heard back since.
Thanks for that info.

I'd like to hear a simple YouTube video demo just like the one the guy did with the hardware, ie: @ 3, 6, 10, for each of the 3 controls, and then a few with all 3 together. The demos on the website were not convincing enough for me.

The hardware was stunning and if his plugin captured that it's a no brainer. Can you eMail him with that suggestion?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

my friend bought this and I was at his studio playing with it.. I think Alberto really did something special with his plugs... Quantum and Mindscape are really nice.. They aren't in your face, but they are that 'nicerizer' that makes a good sound into that finalized polished sound we hear on records.. (most nicerizers are way too obvious). I hope he follows this trend and continues to make these tone boxes cause they are filling a new corner that aqua has not fulfilled as much

I especially like Mindscape.. really, really adds that 3d subtley that makes things sit in a mix.. doesn't change the sound drastically, just makes it sit better and shine...
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Very interesting! If anyone has this and could give some feedback would be great.

Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwigvanlee ➡️
my friend bought this and I was at his studio playing with it.. I think Alberto really did something special with his plugs... Quantum and Mindscape are really nice.. They aren't in your face, but they are that 'nicerizer' that makes a good sound into that finalized polished sound we hear on records.. (most nicerizers are way too obvious). I hope he follows this trend and continues to make these tone boxes cause they are filling a new corner that aqua has not fulfilled as much

I especially like Mindscape.. really, really adds that 3d subtley that makes things sit in a mix.. doesn't change the sound drastically, just makes it sit better and shine...
Does Quantum have the full range of each knob like on the hardware and did he nail the tones and dynamics? I'd like to hear it. Can your friend do a quick demo like the hardware demo?

Last edited by Macaroni; 29th November 2022 at 07:01 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for that info.

I'd like to hear a simple YouTube video demo just like the one the guy did with the hardware, ie: @ 3, 6, 10, for each of the 3 controls, and then a few with all 3 together. The demos on the website were not convincing enough for me.

The hardware was stunning and if his plugin captured that it's a no brainer. Can you eMail him with that suggestion?
I think he will do some YT promos when ready & prepaired.
For now I let him do his stuff,
you know how the stars of Nebula libs work their ass off
to get things done and right.

I frankly wonder Alberto went into this intense dog work.
If I hear something useful to share I`ll write it here of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does Quantum have the full range of each knob like on the hardware and did he nail the tones and dynamics? I'd like to hear it. Can your friend do a quick demo like the hardware demo?

with Mindscape
i felt the examples on the site don't quite get a good feel for what's goin on since they're so subtle.. So i made a quick example with maximized Detail AND Focus for you to hear the effect more... this is with gainmatch balancing the volume

there's quite a bit of tilting towards the treble at max settings.. but i like how there is also an almost invisible bringing the sound forward that isn't so easily replicable with an EQ high boost

A: mindscape
1st is with, 2nd time is without

For Quantum... i have no experience with the hardware so cannot comment on that. but it reminds me so much of my ColorDIY's 15 Tape module.. it is that 'invisible nicerizer'.. there's a clear manipulation of the freq spectrum, but it softens it up nicely... and it manipulates the phase or sound stage that brings thing really forward... what real nice analog saturation sounds like.. mastering saturation... opposite of gainstation.. more similar to DiamondSaturator .. but imo, able to be more invisible, but with less options..

I hope Alberto considers making demos, because I really wish others could hear how nice these are... On par with the best... I have worked with or own all Tim P, Cupwise, Alex B... these stand out .. A LOT!
Attached Files

GTR CLEAN.wav (7.10 MB, 1032 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
with Mindscape
i felt the examples on the site don't quite get a good feel for what's goin on since they're so subtle.. So i made a quick example with maximized Detail AND Focus for you to hear the effect more... this is with gainmatch balancing the volume

there's quite a bit of tilting towards the treble at max settings.. but i like how there is also an almost invisible bringing the sound forward that isn't so easily replicable with an EQ high boost

A: mindscape
1st is with, 2nd time is without

For Quantum... i have no experience with the hardware so cannot comment on that. but it reminds me so much of my ColorDIY's 15 Tape module.. it is that 'invisible nicerizer'.. there's a clear manipulation of the freq spectrum, but it softens it up nicely... and it manipulates the phase or sound stage that brings thing really forward... what real nice analog saturation sounds like.. mastering saturation... opposite of gainstation.. more similar to DiamondSaturator .. but imo, able to be more invisible, but with less options..

I hope Alberto considers making demos, because I really wish others could hear how nice these are... On par with the best... I have worked with or own all Tim P, Cupwise, Alex B... these stand out .. A LOT!
Thanks.

I'm not interested in Mindscape - only Quantum.

If you get a chance, listen to the HEDD hardware video demo and let me know if you think the plugin captured it well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks.

I'm not interested in Mindscape - only Quantum.

If you get a chance, listen to the HEDD hardware video demo and let me know if you think the plugin captured it well.
Just had a listen and even downloaded the video so we could run it through the same audio that the video did... even with quality degradation, we noticed a few things

the hardware is punchier and more natural on the transients.. it's the one thing that Nebula/Aqua has not quite 100% completely satisfied us on, but it is close, like at 90%.. also, engaging the fuseroom increases the volume noticeably whereas with the HEDD it did not.. We would say those are the main takeaways

at 50usd it's quite a bargain to get that !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Just had a listen and even downloaded the video so we could run it through the same audio that the video did... even with quality degradation, we noticed a few things

the hardware is punchier and more natural on the transients.. it's the one thing that Nebula/Aqua has not quite 100% completely satisfied us on, but it is close, like at 90%.. also, engaging the fuseroom increases the volume noticeably whereas with the HEDD it did not.. We would say those are the main takeaways

at 50usd it's quite a bargain to get that !
Any chance you could post a YouTube video of your tests?

Thanks.
Old 1st December 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

M Equalizer

Fwiw.. there is a 'Bonus Pre' program in the new Cupwise 'M Equalizer' (AT HD) that is a pair of freshly serviced Auditronics 501 channels with Jensen i/p and Triad HS66 o/p transformers which was sampled with the Cranesong HEDD Quantum AD with the Triode, Pentode & Tape processing wound up for added harmonics which was sampled dynamically in true stereo.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGray ➡️
the Cranesong HEDD Quantum AD with the Triode, Pentode & Tape processing wound up for added harmonics which was sampled dynamically in true stereo.
Do you have any plans to do a full version of the Cranesong HEDD Quantum unit?

If you can nail the tones and dynamics in this video, it's an instant buy and will be a big hit...

Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have any plans to do a full version of the Cranesong HEDD Quantum unit?

If you can nail the tones and dynamics in this video, it's an instant buy and will be a big hit...

A few things... that video isn't showing the before and after examples level matched, so a good portion of what you're hearing as being 'impressive' is the level increase (especially at 12 o'clock & cranked full clockwise). It's also a 24bit 'digital process' not analog which some people may not know so worth mentioning. The other thing is that it's a parallel process, where you're blending in the processed signal with the dry unprocessed signal which is another reason why you're hearing a decent level increase the more you push it up. I used to own an original HEDD 192 for many years and when I first got it, those processes were quite unique and I used them a lot in the initial honeymoon period but over the years I tended to use it less & less. Now I have the HEDD Quantum and I almost never use the digital processing as I prefer using real analog tape (Ampex ATR-102 1/2" which was also sampled for Cupwise AX102 ) or analog tube/transformer harmonics (Thermionic Culture Phoenix, Michelangelo, UTC A20 transformers etc). Having said that, the 'Pentode' knob in particular is quite unique in what it brings and I haven't found a plugin that replicates that in the same manner yet. Dave Hill does have a tape plugin that's been out for many years called 'Phoenix II' which does have a setting that sounds very similar to the 'Tape' process on the HEDD though.

Something more interesting to me now is that I recently purchased Dave Hill's 'Europa 1 preamplifier' which has some very interesting saturation options on it, all of which are derived from discrete analog circuitry. Variable slew rate (Speed), Even Harmonics & Odd Harmonics. Perhaps I could talk to Tim C about doing the Quantum HEDD & Europa1 processing as a bundle but no promises there.

Last edited by MattGray; 1st December 2022 at 09:25 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
A few things... that video isn't showing the before and after examples level matched, so a good portion of what you're hearing as being 'impressive' is the level increase (especially at 12 o'clock & cranked full clockwise). It's also a 24bit 'digital process' not analog which some people may not know so worth mentioning. The other thing is that it's a parallel process, where you're blending in the processed signal with the dry unprocessed signal which is another reason why you're hearing a decent level increase the more you push it up. I used to own an original HEDD 192 for many years and when I first got it, those processes were quite unique and I used them a lot in the initial honeymoon period over the following 10 years I tended to use it less & less. Now I have the HEDD Quantum and I almost never use the digital processing as I prefer using real analog tape (Ampex ATR-102 1/2" which was also sampled for Cupwise AX102 ) or analog tube/transformer harmonics (Thermionic Culture Phoenix, Michelangelo, UTC A20 transformers etc). Having said that, the 'Pentode' knob in particular is quite unique in what it brings and I haven't found a plugin that replicates that in the same manner yet. Dave Hill does have a tape plugin that's been out for many years called 'Phoenix II' which does have a setting that sounds very similar to the 'Tape' process on the HEDD though.
Thanks for those details. I understand about the level differences, but what I heard from those 3 controls was a unique implementation that I haven't heard like that before, which is what intrigued me.

Quote:
Something more interesting to me now is that I recently purchased Dave Hill's 'Europa 1 preamplifier' which has some very interesting saturation options on it, all of which are derived from discrete analog circuitry. Variable slew rate (Speed), Even Harmonics & Odd Harmonics. Perhaps I could talk to Tim C about doing the Quantum HEDD & Europa1 processing as a bundle but no promises there.
That would be even more fantastic! These are unique units.
Gear Addict

Quote:
A few things... that video isn't showing the before and after examples level matched, so a good portion of what you're hearing as being 'impressive' is the level increase (especially at 12 o'clock & cranked full clockwise). It's also a 24bit 'digital process' not analog which some people may not know so worth mentioning. The other thing is that it's a parallel process, where you're blending in the processed signal with the dry unprocessed signal which is another reason why you're hearing a decent level increase the more you push it up. I used to own an original HEDD 192 for many years and when I first got it, those processes were quite unique and I used them a lot in the initial honeymoon period but over the years I tended to use it less & less. Now I have the HEDD Quantum and I almost never use the digital processing as I prefer using real analog tape (Ampex ATR-102 1/2" which was also sampled for Cupwise AX102 ) or analog tube/transformer harmonics (Thermionic Culture Phoenix, Michelangelo, UTC A20 transformers etc). Having said that, the 'Pentode' knob in particular is quite unique in what it brings and I haven't found a plugin that replicates that in the same manner yet. Dave Hill does have a tape plugin that's been out for many years called 'Phoenix II' which does have a setting that sounds very similar to the 'Tape' process on the HEDD though.

Thanks for that although I don't really get why one would want to use software that sampled hardware that digitally emulates analog hardware rather than using sampled analog hw.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for that although I don't really get why one would want to use software that sampled hardware that digitally emulates analog hardware rather than using sampled analog hw.
The simplest answer there would be that not everyone can afford or has access to a Cranesong HEDD Quantum and there is still nothing quite like that digital processing (especially the Pentode) in a plugin format. But I'm generally with you otherwise, I'd prefer to sample analog hardware.
Lives for gear

Something like this might be more fun and interesting...

This custom hardware transformer unit should be completed by the end of the year or early Jan.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

This custom hardware transformer unit should be completed by the end of the year or early Jan.
Bought
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The reason for me is that it does those tones in a way that I've never heard before from any tube or tape saturation device, and I have TimC's AX102 and use it on my Mix Bus, plus many tube emulation plugins.

The way the hardware implements those 3 tones is unique IMO and I see it is as another tone shaping and mojo tool. I've got several saturators that let you adjust the pentode and triode and/or odd and even harmonics, but they don't sound like this unit.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Oh yah! I'm definitely interested in that one, as I imagine many others will be.
Gear Addict

Quote:
The reason for me is that it does those tones in a way that I've never heard before from any tube or tape saturation device, and I have TimC's AX102 and use it on my Mix Bus, plus many tube emulation plugins.

The way the hardware implements those 3 tones is unique IMO and I see it is as another tone shaping and mojo tool. I've got several saturators that let you adjust the pentode and triode and/or odd and even harmonics, but they don't sound like this unit.
Still not easy to imagine if you haven't heard it yourself. One might think one would prefer sampled analog tubes. Especially when I remember the recent outcry to the notion AA might do more "algorithmically" and now the algo in that Quantum thing is the thing. So much even that it shall be sampled. But if it works for you it just does. Maybe I get the chance to test it.
Btw. I just saw MetaPlugin is on sale an asked myself, do you use MetaPlugin in AudiGridder or AudioGridder in MetaPlugin? Does it matter at all?
Gear Addict

Quote:

Nice, the industrial style and especially the main pot. (How) are you driving the transformers? I have a passive box with Carnhills but think of extending the concept. Maybe active but rather multichannel, like different flavors for different channels. got a box of NFLÜ 325 and others. Might be fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Still not easy to imagine if you haven't heard it yourself. One might think one would prefer sampled analog tubes. Especially when I remember the recent outcry to the notion AA might do more "algorithmically" and now the algo in that Quantum thing is the thing. So much even that it shall be sampled. But if it works for you it just does. Maybe I get the chance to test it.
Btw. I just saw MetaPlugin is on sale an asked myself, do you use MetaPlugin in AudiGridder or AudioGridder in MetaPlugin? Does it matter at all?
I use SuperPlugin, which is a subset of MetaPlugin. I put SP inside the AudioGridder plugin, and then put whatever plugins (usually no more than 3) inside SP to use its OS.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exclamation

Quote:
I bought Superplugin and have a lot of uses for it, but lack of sidechain (surely something is workable) due to two strict channels is nagging me a bit. I just checked and Metaplugin is still Black Friday priced at $35; ouch I would have bought it before my money flew away if I was awares . I think there's three days left of the sale if anyone else needs these.

Still, an upgrade path for Lazarus-grade poor people like me right now would be cool
📝 Reply