Quantcast
Nebula must have - Page 437 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Yeah I really want to like it. It’s like a Nebula Fielding DSP Reviver on steroids. But I still haven’t managed to find the sweet spot with it. The GUI is functional enough, but seems like a bit of a “first thought-best thought” kind of layout.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
What is your CPU and what kind of usage are you experiencing with different configurations of this?
2020 iMac, 10 core, i9, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD. Audio on a separate HD.

I've only just tried this one experiment so far and then had to go make dinner. I'll try more later tonight.

Another nice benefit of Patchwork is that, using the EQ instances in parallel, not only properly mimics the hardware, but PW can do some magic with parallel processing and offload the plugins to the CPU cores much more efficiently than the DAW can. And when there is no audio passing through, PW doesn't use CPU cycles.

Theoretically, this arrangement should be more CPU efficient than using the plugins in series, what to speak of sounding better and more accurate. And, someone else confirmed that a big PW setup like this can be loaded in AudioGridder to save even more CPU.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni ➡️

I've only just tried this one experiment so far and then had to go make dinner. I'll try more later tonight.

Another nice benefit of Patchwork is that, using the EQ instances in parallel, not only properly mimics the hardware, but PW can do some magic with parallel processing and offload the plugins to the CPU cores much more efficiently than the DAW can. And when there is no audio passing through, PW doesn't use CPU cycles.

Theoretically, this arrangement should be more CPU efficient than using the plugins in series, what to speak of sounding better and more accurate. And, someone else confirmed that a big PW setup like this can be loaded in AudioGridder to save even more CPU.
That's quite the beast of a machine you have there.

Thanks for the follow up. Watching this space with interest. Are you planning on using this setup as an 'every track' EQ? Can't be done in real life (unless one has an unlimited budget) but quite possible in the ITB world. Very curious to see how many tracks you can have this on before your computer starts to sweat (either directly or through audiogridder) if you are planning to use it this way.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindafishy ➡️
That's quite the beast of a machine you have there.

Thanks for the follow up. Watching this space with interest. Are you planning on using this setup as an 'every track' EQ? Can't be done in real life (unless one has an unlimited budget) but quite possible in the ITB world. Very curious to see how many tracks you can have this on before your computer starts to sweat (either directly or through audiogridder) if you are planning to use it this way.
I've already experimented and replaced EQuilibrium on all the tracks it was on (5-6) with either S432 or the demos of GML 9500/8200. Typically, it was only 2-3 bands and 4 in a few places. That was all native, ie: not inside AudioGridder, because I had issues with the S432 plugins inside the AG plugin. I'm not sure why.

Because AG is taking a good chunk of the load, I was able to do it that way just to hear what it would sound like, and I was sold. You're right that you could never do this with hardware, but now we can.

I wasn't planning or thinking about doing it that way, but after hearing it I thought, why not - if it sounds great, it is great.

Based on that, I bought AlexB's GM9-GE, last night so I'll be dialing it in more than I could with the demo. And with the Patchwork implementation, I'm very curious to hear how far I can take this idea. PW will certainly help to optimize the CPU use.

I'm retired and not working on any projects at the moment so I'm in Mad Professor mode.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

Interesting test. Can patchwork let you save the preset so you don't have to open half a dozen instances each time?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Interesting test. Can patchwork let you save the preset so you don't have to open half a dozen instances each time?
I'm just new to Patchwork so I don't know much yet, but I believe I can save that master preset with all the 1K and 5K instances, and then use it as a template for other tracks, saving it specifically for each use.

Each application will probably only use 3-5 instances and the rest will be left off so they won't cause any unnecessary CPU cycles. But it will save lots of time versus having to instantiate single plugins to create an EQ package for various tracks.

And I think there's a Preference that let's you specify only opening active windows when the PW window is opened, so you won't have unwanted screen clutter.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Trivia: Was the Yamaha RA-100m sampled? That would be a trip (or a drag ) to hear my stuff though one.
Thanks! And congrats on your latest cee jay and TimC
Gear Nut
Did you guys noticed that the AA forum is getting shutdown from the 14th of this month, tons of tips and tricks will get lost! There are many times that I'm looking for specific info about Nebula and most of the times its there, archive.org for the rescue.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hello there.is the Tim Petherick 76 the revision A or D (black face ) model ? thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Update on Patchwork and S432 and GM9-GE...

The template idea I had, ie: to load up all 5k and 1k versions doesn't work as I thought. I made one preset template like that for S432 and one for GM9-GE and they crushed my Mac - just merely existing. Too much. Even fully disabled, my Mac couldn't handle it.

So I removed all the 1K versions because I'll never use them in this setup. The whole point of the parallel arrangement is that you can use all 5K versions because they are not feeding into one another and building up artifacts. The 1K versions are primarily for series use and to save CPU cycles. I want the full monty. And PW excels at parallel processing so that's a CPU saver as well.

So now I'll just open the full 5K template for a track, choose which bands I want and delete the rest from that instance of PW and rename the preset for the track. Turning off unused bands doesn't help. You have to remove them and leave only what you'll use for the best efficiency.

I just bought Patchwork so I have to convert all serial instances to PW and see how things flow after that.

I'll report later, but so far, it seems to be a good strategy.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Understood. Verona is probably not a good choice for that type of source material.

I've used it on a drum and bass stem and it worked well in mid side (Logic's dual mono), but it wasn't a super heavy low end.
I see, shame about that....

With some of the more recently updates Aquas, you can send them pretty much anything without getting artifacts. Seem like this is still a limitation in the Nebula tech.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 ➡️
I see, shame about that....

With some of the more recently updates Aquas, you can send them pretty much anything without getting artifacts. Seem like this is still a limitation in the Nebula tech.
Strange, I use Verona daily, no issues,
on subs is the default setup (sat at zero, no preamp) as Verona tends to fart easily.
I suggested LA to bring a sc on board, we`ll see.

An idea could be to "regulate the traffic" on in and out via vu meter separately
and to look for the usual suspects a la samplerate compatibility i.e. of record & mix.
Sounds to me something is not ok there.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar ➡️
Strange, I use Verona daily, no issues,
on subs is the default setup (sat at zero, no preamp) as Verona tends to fart easily.
I suggested LA to bring a sc on board, we`ll see.

An idea could be to "regulate the traffic" on in and out via vu meter separately
and to look for the usual suspects a la samplerate compatibility i.e. of record & mix.
Sounds to me something is not ok there.
Ah, yeah, I get no farting with the preamp/saturation off. But then it's just an EQ (a nice one admittedly).

But the artifacts makes it difficult to get noticeable saturation on busses or full mixes, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the plugin for me...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixcore ➡️
Did you guys noticed that the AA forum is getting shutdown from the 14th of this month, tons of tips and tricks will get lost! There are many times that I'm looking for specific info about Nebula and most of the times its there, archive.org for the rescue.
Already downloaded
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixcore ➡️
Why is that?

Seems weird. There are threads in GS that go back years and years... is this for real?

EDIT: Oh, I get it... the Acustica forum, not a thread here on GS. My brain fart.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock ➡️
Why is that?

Seems weird. There are threads in GS that go back years and years... is this for real?

EDIT: Oh, I get it... the Acustica forum, not a thread here on GS. My brain fart.
Sounds crazy and unthinkable.....

so probably true
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
color springs update

just wanted to drop a mention here about this. max already posted about it, how he made the new skin for my older color spring library/release. but i wanted to point out that i did send out emails for the update including the new skin as well as the new sample rates (48 and 88.2khz) to everyone who has already bought color springs a few days ago.

so as always, if you bought it you should've got that email, and if you didn't (check your spam folder) you can contact me directly and i'll send the links

nothing about the programs was updated besides the new skin and new sample rates available
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Where do you set the maximum kernel length, and what is that length?
Kern page and then under the freqd engine
Clean 50 ms
Odd 50 ms
Even 50 ms

Where the "number" ms is a length of kernels.
https://postimg.cc/XXysPk71

Choose each and move up second fader to the max or up the mouse cursor.

Kernels - are packages of IR's, plenty of them - where everyone is responsible for their task.
https://postimg.cc/DJCmdXRq

And their length determines the sampling depth, for some parameters - this length is critical, like ripple - artifact that occurs when the IR is cut off if the length is less 150 ms.

Quote:
Pardon my Homer Simpson moment, but does 1K = 1 kernel and 5K = 5 kernels?
Yes

Quote:
I recall reading in Alex's manual that he redid his compressor libraries and got rid of the ripple and other artifacts.
This is just a consequence of that war, he was forced to do it under pressure. Look at his old non GE libs, all consoles for example with 50ms by default and 73 ms with maxed range (this range is determined by NAT, depending on the primary settings when sampling)

So they all had a ripple and insufficient sampling depth for a HW.

In all GE libs Alex set the good depth, but determined the length sufficient for leveling the ripple only on Clean kernels, but not for harmonics. i.e. the truncate and all costs for them remain the same as the old one, but now we can set the maximum range by youreself, because the depth now allows.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Knowing that the Sontec 432 and GML 9500 work with parallel bands, I decided to try Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork and set up an 8 row stack of both 5K and 1K versions. I doubled 2 of the bells because I've found sometimes I need 2 different frequencies from those bands.

Bell 1
Bell 2
Bell 2
Bell 3
Bell 3
Bell 4
Shelves 1
Shelves 2
Don't use two shelves in a row, HW has only one. It's just a modified ver by ALex for a client who wanted an additional shelf at 16K, so use one to choose)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Update on Patchwork and S432 and GM9-GE...

The template idea I had, ie: to load up all 5k and 1k versions doesn't work as I thought. I made one preset template like that for S432 and one for GM9-GE and they crushed my Mac - just merely existing. Too much. Even fully disabled, my Mac couldn't handle it.
If you set the max kern length the CPU load will be much higher, because harmonics consume the most ( Even, ODD ), so you can set the internal nebula DSP buffer at 2048 - this allows you to pull all bands in 5K with max length for one channel) at least mine.
Yes, nebula it's about printing)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel.re ➡️
Don't use two shelves in a row, HW has only one. It's just a modified ver by ALex for a client who wanted an additional shelf at 16K, so use one to choose)
Understood.

As I mentioned I only stacked up the instances like that for the initial choice of bands, so after I choose which bells I want, I will then choose only 1 of the 2 shelf bands and delete all other instances.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
If you set the max kern length the CPU load will be much higher, because harmonics consume the most ( Even, ODD ), so you can set the internal nebula DSP buffer at 2048 - this allows you to pull all bands in 5K with max length for one channel) at least mine.
Yes, nebula it's about printing)
OK, good to know. Thanks.

Per Alex's manual, I've added these Local Tweaks to all Setups using his libraries...

LOCAL TWEAKS EXAMPLE:

AHEADLENGTH = 5000
OFREQD = 11
OTIMED = 5
LEDSPEED = 3
EXPORTAUDIOQUALITY = 1
DSPBUFFER = 8192
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld ➡️
Is it just me or is Domino the worst GUI in recent memory? What were they thinking?
definitely not just you. i love dibiquadro stuff and the idea behind this plugin, but the GUI is horrific. i get what they were going for but there is so much about it that is poorly done - most importantly the interface and poor use of space but also the color scheme, knob shadows going in two directions, even the text. looks like a quick proof of concept mockup someone did.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nebula has brought me to a very interesting place over the last couple of years.

After doing the N4 thing and being blown away by how much closer it comes to that “analog magic”, I figured the next step was to start adding in hardware to round out the tracking chain, so I rerouted the plug-in fund and started down that path.

I did that for a little while. Rented and auditioned some gear, bought and sold other pieces. Strategically added some Rockwool as well.

I eventually ended up at the same place that I think everyone ends up at if they’re honest with themselves: the Magic is in the music, not the gear, or even the room.

So now I spend time writing songs again. I’m okay with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just opened one of the bell bands for Alex's S432-GE library and here is the screen shot. So are you saying I should raise the level of the two harmonics as well? His level for Clean is very high.

I don't see any faders assigned to those parameters to change them.

Quote:
Kern page and then under the freqd engine
Clean 50 ms
Odd 50 ms
Even 50 ms

Where the "number" ms is a length of kernels.
https://postimg.cc/XXysPk71

Choose each and move up second fader to the max or up the mouse cursor.

Kernels - are packages of IR's, plenty of them - where everyone is responsible for their task.
https://postimg.cc/DJCmdXRq

And their length determines the sampling depth, for some parameters - this length is critical, like ripple - artifact that occurs when the IR is cut off if the length is less 150 ms.

Yes

This is just a consequence of that war, he was forced to do it under pressure. Look at his old non GE libs, all consoles for example with 50ms by default and 73 ms with maxed range (this range is determined by NAT, depending on the primary settings when sampling)

So they all had a ripple and insufficient sampling depth for a HW.

In all GE libs Alex set the good depth, but determined the length sufficient for leveling the ripple only on Clean kernels, but not for harmonics. i.e. the truncate and all costs for them remain the same as the old one, but now we can set the maximum range by youreself, because the depth now allows.
Attached Thumbnails
Nebula must have-screen-shot-2021-06-10-3.52.59-pm.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️
Nebula has brought me to a very interesting place over the last couple of years.

After doing the N4 thing and being blown away by how much closer it comes to that “analog magic”, I figured the next step was to start adding in hardware to round out the tracking chain, so I rerouted the plug-in fund and started down that path.

I did that for a little while. Rented and auditioned some gear, bought and sold other pieces. Strategically added some Rockwool as well.

I eventually ended up at the same place that I think everyone ends up at if they’re honest with themselves: the Magic is in the music, not the gear, or even the room.

Great little beautifully said piece of truth!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane ➡️

I get what your saying, but the magic is a combination of the song, performance, room, and gear, as well as the skill and taste of the engineer.

The music is the most important part, but the other contributing factors should not be discounted.

Many who do not have the luxury of a fully equipped professional enviornment do not realize that pairing the gear to the source is a big contributor to the elusive magic. Because xyz vintage unit worked on "insert name drop here" does not mean it will work on you. This is often learned the expensive and dissapointing way as people have limited budgets, and limited variety of artists to try stuff on.

Sometimes the magic combo is a 4 track cassette machine in an old warehouse, other times its a 5k tube mic into a 2k pre into a 2k eq into a 3k tube compressor, into a 1k per channel converter. That's where art and experience come into play.

Now alot of factors come into play like budgets, and industry filtering/ quality control, but its undeniable that many of the classic, magical recordings were done professionally on mostly commercial quality gear. This could be a shure mic or dbx compressor, or an old tube mic. Great room sounds need not be purpose built live rooms, but flattering, inspiring enviornments. Its the artistic choice and experience of the people involved to pair them. This could be a garage, a studio, a rented mansion...

My point is that the music is the most important, but undoubltly the gear and all other factors do play a role and certainly can bring their own peice of the magic.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, I've done a bit more testing of Audio Gridder and BlueCat Patchwork in Pro Tools 12, OSX Mojave...

It works... sort of. Technically, you can open an instance of AG and load BC PW inside it. However, it's not like you can do some elaborate Nebula set up and it is smooth sailing. Quite the opposite.

I loaded a PatchWork instance inside Audio Gridder that has 7 instances of Nebula, all running TimP Blue 1102... basically all the bands, preamp and distortion channels. It was causing Pro Tools CPU spikes from the get-go, which also stopped playback pretty regularly. In fact, just opening an empty instance of BC PW caused more of a CPU hit than loading the same Blue 1102 PatchWork setup directly on the track with all 7 bands active. I also had VE Pro running with my writing template up; it is about 16 instances in VE Pro. Since I'm testing all this on a single machine, I thought that might be causing issues. However, closing VE Pro altogether didn't have a positive affect at all on AG and PW together for a complex Nebula setup.

Also, the GUI in Audio Gridder becomes more sluggish when opening PW inside it. About half the time it crashes Audio Gridder.

However, just using Audio Gridder for one or two demanding plug-ins per instance is working great for me, and it takes the load off both Pro Tools and Logic in those instances. AG just doesn't seem to like long, serial plug-in chains at this time. I've noticed it also being a little finicky with my template vocal chain, which is also 7 or 8 plug-ins deep.

I'm gonna quickly try running 6 or 7 individual Audio Gridder instances of Blue 1102 and see what that does... But that's about all the play time I'll have for today. On a mix project deadline. I'll report back in a bit.

UPDATE:
Ok, running individual instances of Audio Gridder works much better in my rig. AG Doesn't like having multiple windows open simultaneously; so you have to open close each instance/band of N4 separately... much like you would if you had them inserted that way in your DAW. You can't do the cool window layout of multiple plug-in windows, like in BC Patchwork.

I think Audio Gridder is on to something fantastic; but it's certainly got room to grow and mature. Hopefully and quickly, before someone else builds a better mousetrap. However, it certainly is viable right now for Nebula users that need to squeeze more efficiency out of their machines.

I have an older laptop here that I may try to set up externally; however, I don't like all the fan noise. My big mac tower is at my other location. Hopefully, I'll eventually consolidate everything into a more powerful rig; but right now I'm on my single MB Pro and doing fine.

Later...

Last edited by robshrock; 1 week ago at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AudioGridder - latest beta - is constantly hanging in Logic, but when it works it is fantastic. I did try PW inside AG with my EQ setup but it didn't play well, so that's not happening now.

I've got Patchwork working well with GM9-GE (GML 9500) and S432 (Sontec 432). Using those bands @ 5K in parallel is definitely where it's at sonically speaking - much better than serial - more open and airy and clear. And PW can handle the parallel processing more efficiently so that's a bonus. I typically don't have more than 4 bands for any given track, so it's not too much. This is definitely the way to go with these high end EQs that work in parallel.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
AudioGridder - latest beta - is constantly hanging in Logic, but when it works it is fantastic. I did try PW inside AG with my EQ setup but it didn't play well, so that's not happening now.

I've got Patchwork working well with GM9-GE (GML 9500) and S432 (Sontec 432). Using those bands @ 5K in parallel is definitely where it's at sonically speaking - much better than serial - more open and airy and clear. And PW can handle the parallel processing more efficiently so that's a bonus. I typically don't have more than 4 bands for any given track, so it's not too much. This is definitely the way to go with these high end EQs that work in parallel.
Yeah, that's the beautiful thing with PatchWork... all the creative ways to run things in combos of serial and parallel. I haven't jumped too far into it from that angle... not necessary for a lot of the stuff I do. But I do collect little plug-in packages and save them as PW presets because it's sometimes faster.
📝 Reply