The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nebula must have
Old 10th June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
this is exactly my point.
For the customer it would be a lot better if the player was free for running libraries.
For acustica it would be a lot better if there was a royalty payment running on libraries (working business model) and not on the player
For 3rd party developers would be a lot better (imho) if they were running their libraries on aquarius (no host costs, no support costs, no support emails, automatic copy protection). Also we manage MOSS, which is a serious issue when number of sales increases. The exposure is a lot better, especially for new customers, and especially if they release something for free as advertisement of their work: at this point a possible customer is running their demo library using a completely free player, inside a platform which is required for updating other products.

In my opinion this is the best solution for everyone. To my knowledge Analoginthebox should migrate several things soon.
That's good to hear. I find the offerings of current official devs attractive and I own at least one library from all of them.

I don't agree with hoop jumping for devs too far outside the company's location. I'm sure workshops could be teleconferenced and that would at least be a start. Obviously libraries could be more in line with what's offered by official devs now.

It does seem as if there's a need for unification of platforms. Acqua's the more commercial format, but there's many times when it either doesn't have the hardware I'm looking for or is bested slightly in terms of sound. There's got to be a way to merge things completely with no compromises while gaining the advantage of technical advancement. With proper skins most Nebula libraries these days feel closer to an Acqua. The customer experience: an expensive jumble.
Lives for gear
Focus Comp V3

The new Focus comp is out by TimP.

So far I could make a wimpy, so-so kick drum turn into a growling monster just with this comp. There is some grit to it, and the pre boosts the lows I think.
In general it thickens up everything very nicely.

Anyone knows some other good application for it?

Just realised that the pre has a slider for going Full into Harmonics only. So you can have the low boost or jus the harmonics or anything in between. Very clever!!!

Last edited by kuulart; 10th June 2019 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Understood the low boost of the pre
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
We'll have a new EQ release from AlexB in the next day or so ...

Calling it the GM-9

.... and you thought you didn't need another EQ. [all sample rates available]

Compliments the S-432 ... and is equally spectacular.

Also an Update and Expansion Pak happening .... the ATE library is going PRO, with 48/88.2 paks available.

more comments latter ...
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️

Calling it the GM-9

Also an Update and Expansion Pak happening .... the ATE library is going PRO, with 48/88.2 paks available.

more comments latter ...
I guess?
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf ➡️
will do!
I'm coming in late to this, but some neb reverbs for consideration:

Gene Lennon — TC6000
http://genelennon.blogspot.com/p/products.html

STN — Lexicon 480L (he has lots of other reverbs too)
http://signaltonoize.com/?p=1449

VNXT
http://vnxtsound.blogspot.com/p/nebulaprograms.html

Plus the usual greats from Cupwise (**LOVE** his lo-fi tape verbs), TimP and AITB.

There was a place I remember back in the day, room hunters... I just looked them up and think they're no longer active.

I remember getting turned onto Nebula reverbs back in the day when I first discovered Henry O's free Bricasti M7 samples. Good times. I think Gene Lennon's stuff was my very first Nebula purchase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger ➡️
There was a place I remember back in the day, room hunters... I just looked them up and think they're no longer active.
Theatre of Life was free. It's still here: https://tinyurl.com/yxewyy9g
Fantastic library though.
Deleted 09ad95d
Quote:
Originally Posted by denork ➡️
It's okay, personally I did not know the other part, and it's always necessary to know all the parts.

Even so, and forgive that I repeat it again, it is not better to sell 5 upgrades from n3 to n4 for, say, 150 € than not sell any to 400? I understand that the sale for a new user is of the full cost, but for former users of n3 no. For example, a flash offer of 48h so that all N3 users can upgrade to n4 at a discount. Who knows, the same thing works very well.
I want a $100/150 USD N4 upgrade as much as anybody... but we're talking an increase in ticket support with an influx of $ that still may not cover costs along with users now spending $ on libraries where AA is 1) not receiving a cut and 2) money that is being spent on a non-licensed 3rd party library vs a licensed partner or an AA Acqua.

Keeping it real --

If zaphod offered me a $150 N4 upgrade today, I would buy it instantly.

I would then probably spend $100 or so monthly on TimP, Cupwise and AlexB libraries. Zaphod would see none of that $.

That $100 I spend on TimP, Cupwise and AlexB is also money that I would've spent on an Acqua. I budget myself roughly $100/month for plugins. Again, $ that zaphod will not see. A lost Acqua sale.

Why would zaphod offer me a $100/$150 upgrade?

I try to see both sides. I'm not obligated to keep AA in business. Zaphod is also not obligated to sell me a $150 upgrade that will suffocate Acustica.

What disappoints me about this situation is the UI/skin/preset situation. I'm not spending $450 USD on Nebula when I need to spend another $100 on BlueCat or Nyrv Agent to make N4 function properly.

It's a circular dependency with AA, 3rd parties, and end users all pointing fingers at one another and nothing will ever get fixed.

My alarmist "sky is falling" prediction -- Nebula4 slowly dies with AA throwing all momentum behind Acqua/Modula. I'm not a good prognosticator so hopefully cooler heads can some day come to a mutually beneficial agreement.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod ➡️
This is the plan, we are not imposing prices
Cool!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I bought TimP's Sum100A. Oh man, this thing sounds AMAZING on vocals. Can't wait to try it out on other sources .... The pre is a thing of beauty, with the ability to dial in the even and odd harmonics.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins ➡️

Calling it the GM-9

more comments latter ...
http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/alexb/GM9_eq.htm
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hi guys. So intrigued by the idea of using Patchwork for my Nebula libraries, but sceptical about whether it added or subtracted anything i spent the weekend experimenting with null testing the PW demo against Nebula and other plugins.

So it would seem that you have to use the PRE or POST columns, it doesn't null when you use the parallel column. For the most part it nulled every time. But there were a couple of moments where it wouldn't null though.

If you add an extra instance of N4 in its INIT form in PW it would not null. If you have an extra N4 instance but switched off in PW it does not null. PW sometimes didn't seem to like it when you just changed the N4 settings in the daw, and preferred a new instance loaded.

I found things would be a bit temperamental and sometimes things would null and sometimes not. Sometimes basic library settings nulled, but then when i played with the dry/wet for example, no null. I managed to null one instance of SoundDrops Pure Teq-Q, but when i added the other 2 from that library the 3 instances in series wouldn't null. Then in a different session i tried to null the same Pure Teq-Q again and it wouldn't null. Similar for Tim P's 100a. I tried to null 100a 3 times using the comp and the pre, no null, i got a phasey effect. Then i tried it on a different day, same settings and it nulled no problem, headscratch. Crimson would not null completely, i found this being the due to the level/drive/filter parameters, i tried several times, no null. I tried Gullfoss, twice, no null, tried it again today, it nulled. So i don't know what that's all about, maybe it is Logic or PW, not sure.

Anyway, i am happy to say that my conclusion is that 99 times out of 100 PW nulled out with Plugins and Neb libraries and i am confident that it is not adding or subtracting anything. So i am pretty satisfied with what it does and will definitely be picking it up. Here is a list of what i tried, they all nulled:

Softube tape
Softube Free Saturation
Mcdsp 4030 eq
Mcdsp 4040 limiter
Izotope neutron2
Airwindows air
Crave eq
Oxford inflator
Decapitator
Hornet tape
Klanghelm SDRR
Kush novatron
Kush omega n, oversampling on
FF Proq3
N.I.: transient master

AA:
Diamond2 eq
Diamond lift
Cream2 pre
Water strip
Honey2
Ultramarine4
Titanium strip comp on
Gold strip comp on
Cream2 strip comp on
Ruby2

Nebula:

Dibiq bronze2
Sounddrops mantis
Sounddrops henry-q & henry-f in series
Tim P 1102 EQ, 6 instances nulled, awesome!
Tim p elc24 all 3 instances
Tim p silk eq all 3 instances
Tim p dual tech eq all 3 instances
Tim p surge eq 2 instances
Tim p 37j 3 instances
Tim p opto 32 comp & pre
Tim p n60a
Tim p focus comp
Tim p complex comp & gate
Tim p blu mu
Tim p 100a
Tim p green filter
Tim p n2065 filter
Tim p tnt expander/gate
Tim p l-bus 2 instances
Alex b vax
Alexb TMS
Henry olonga tape distortion
Henry olonga girthy mastering low
Henry olonga fairchild no compression
Henry olonga u87 5cm
Henry olonga e-m-eye line in
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Can't wait to play with this one, Alexb's unique modded/refurbished hardware version always sound better than original stock hardware. Also the native sample rate expansions for 48kHz and 88kHz are definitely rare gems.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear
Now I realised I have this weird problem with the new 100a. It loads in the N4 but I cannot change any of the parameters, these go back when they were. Have I copied wrong programs or is that something else?
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Nut
As user can't really understand why AA has high expenses with N4 when all Aquas are based on N4, If all of them acquas are based on N4 then to have any acqua update it first needs N4 updated right? All Aquas are Nebulas so AA needs to update N4 to have everything working so why is this a expense for them if they are the base system for every other plugin update? Also it is rumored that Modula will need N4, again if anyone wants to mix with this new "thing" they need to buy N4. Its very strange and never talked by AA that N4 has less features then N3 and I think this is just because AA doesn't want to give rivals (3th party devs) more options, we all know AA could do stackable as they have the aqua libraries like Mantis,etc, and so as a user who has both N3 and N4 I fill kind of cheated cause N4 didnt bring much to the table just few different options like presets that we can do with most DAW's.

Also if AA would develop and release more libraries for N4 and actually made a effort to have CPCL updated with some really great compressors and usable libraries people would be willing to invest and AA could make more money. It all started with Nebula and they are caring less and less to this platform as Aquas are more commercial and they don't "earn" from 3th party devs they're like "we don't care we're going to make acquas mentality.."

Both sides (AA and 3th party devs) are stubborn and we as users are loosing cause of this. The best would be to have all joined but this is the real world and that may never happen so devs keep making libraries with obsolete tech as AA will not give access to new NAT sampler if devs don't give a cut.

Well at least for me I just want to have a stackable Nebula version that we could easily rename presets and even make skins, the whole system is being closed and controlled/monopolized and downgraded and price increased to make people buy Acquas, I think this is not good way to move forward, but hey im just a simple user.
Old 10th June 2019
Another quality EQ from AlexB, GM9 is great, a must have!
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What's really holding me from using AlexB lib's that is monstrous "wobble" and "chirp" artifacts, they has on every band.
Following pic shows 1 band of AlexB S432 Vintage Parametric Disk Master eQ (Sontec 432)

So for example i'd like to use Sontec or Manley (or new GML) as mastering EQ, i have to enable few bands and filters, and this "wobble" are growing, multiplying with every instance.
Pic shows 4 bands of S432 + shelf:

As you can see "wobble" multiplies and becomes audible (fluctuations achieved +/- 2.5 dB at the low end)
Now let's look at another mastering EQ - AlexB Massive Mix eQ (Manley Massive Passive). I used only 4 bell bands and 2 cut filters here:

Scary, huh?
The "wobble" or "ripple" you can see at the low end sounds like a comb filter effect. Blurring your low end. And this artifacts all over all AlexB EQ's. I can't live with it while using them for single instruments w/o deep subs, but when it comes to mastering, i can't afford that.

This artifacts well known these days. TimP and AA find a way to handle them (each find own tech for this). As example here is another pic. TimP's Blue EQ (31102) with 4 bands, low cut filter, preamp and distorter engaged:

No wobble, chirp, anything. Just perfect. This one i could use for any tasks not sacrificing transients and low end tightness.

* To reference what i mean "wobble" / "chirp", please read TimP's article: https://www.timpetherick.co.uk/new-approaches/
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
So Ceejay, how does Surge compare? Do you have that one?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin ➡️
So Ceejay, how does Surge compare? Do you have that one?
As i said before, TimP solved this issue in 2016 and fixed all hi's libs.
They are all perfectly clean from artifacts.
Here's TimP Surge with 3 mid bands engaged + Low and Hi shelves (5 bands totally)
Gear Head

ceejay
Same thing.
I love many Alexb libs. and always use all bands, like in hardware and that wobble and chirp effect - greatly reduces the overal quality.
If Alex had found his way to avoid these problems, it would be awesome!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixcore ➡️
I just want to have a stackable Nebula version that we could easily rename presets and even make skins
You can do this already, with some efforts!
I'll show some examples done with NYRV Agent with some xtra gfx photoshoped lately.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay ➡️
I'll show some examples done with NYRV Agent with some xtra gfx photoshoped lately.
Those Massive Passive and VT-5 skins are super nice. Have you thought about releasing them? (Maybe you'd have to change the names on the graphics.)
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ rosewood123 Thanks i'll give them all for free as soon as i finish all planned libs.
Will attach PDF files also, so everyone will be able to do any tweaks to their taste.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Know about this and BlueCat Patchworx but let’s say it’s a very clumsy way, what I’m saying is N4 should have this implemented as they have the tech with N4 acqua libraries like Bronze/Mantis/etc..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ rosewood123 Thanks i'll give them all for free as soon as i finish all planned libs.
Will attach PDF files also, so everyone will be able to do any tweaks to their taste.
That's awesome! Thanks for the generosity. Cheers.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can share the skins but the presets will not work across computers. @ jfjer and I attempted the preset sharing via Nyrv Agent but we needed a few changes made to Agent, unfortunately the company never made the necessary changes and we stopped our attempts when they went MIA.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➡️
You can share the skins but the presets will not work across computers.
I'll share the GFX and preset banks, hope it will work with some tweaks.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thinking of getting Agent, but read a few things about it crashing a lot. If you don't mind can you tell me your experience with it.

Thanks
Deleted 6b99500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink ➡️
Thinking of getting Agent, but read a few things about it crashing a lot. If you don't mind can you tell me your experience with it.

Thanks
Couldn’t get out the starting blocks with it, crashed loads and loads of quirks to it too. Blue cat Patchwork is what I went with after trying a load of others tooincluding DDMF. It’s rock solid for me and easy to use.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaink ➡️
Thanks
It crashed only once here (and i'm about 18 skinned presets ready).
"Unload Plug-Ins Safely" in Settings > Advanced > Plugin Tweaks, greatly improves Agent stability.
BTW i suppose you can trial it ant stress-test.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by borlandsamuel ➡️
ceejay
Same thing.
I love many Alexb libs. and always use all bands, like in hardware and that wobble and chirp effect - greatly reduces the overal quality.
If Alex had found his way to avoid these problems, it would be awesome!
Wow, so that's why I grimace a bit when I work with my AlexB EQ programs! I can confirm this with my Plugin Doctor. It can be reduced with less input gain and then gain staging on the output but you can't get rid of all of it and reducing the input gain may not give the best results.

Has anyone brought this up with AlexB? Does he have a response to it?
📝 Reply