The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
Well perhaps the slight gain in running samples is offset by it's loss when mixing.
Not to start again, but what loss? :P
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwaidu ➡️
Not to start again, but what loss? :P
IIRC, the intel 13900k CPU outperforms the 7950x in the DAW bench Kontact voices test. The 7950x outperforms it though in the RXC test..i.e. mixing/plugins loading.

So I was responding to the poster who said 'the slight performance loss' of the AMD over the 13900k

M
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
IIRC, the intel 13900k CPU outperforms the 7950x in the DAW bench Kontact voices test. The 7950x outperforms it though in the RXC test..i.e. mixing/plugins loading.

So I was responding to the poster who said 'the slight performance loss' of the AMD over the 13900k
You didn't recall correctly, the i9-13900K outperforms the 7950x at 64 and 128 buffers by quite a bit, while 7950X catches up close to it at 256 and goes on to a very minor lead at 512 (more like a tie / within variance of the testing method IMHO).

Also, no Bus test results released but they are supposedly rather close - previous results indicate that they seem to follow synthetic singlecore results quite closely, which would place the i9-13900K as the pre-favourite. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I don't know what specific issues there are with Cubase, but I'm guessing it could be something similar to what I've observed on Pro Tools, which really is a non-issue (I.e. on heavily bussed sessions, offline bounce speed gets limited from the maximum power available as the algorithm extrapolates available processing power from the average between P and E cores - can be mitigated with setting Affinity and Avid are working on it. Bounce speeds are still *very* fast generally).
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-dawbench-m1-v-x86-1.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni ➡️
just need to weigh up the advantage of AMD being a more upgradable platform against the slight performance/stability gain of Intel.
What "stability gain"?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
What "stability gain"?
Referring to my first post, in which I said that my subjective experience is one of having had more issues with AMD than with Intel.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oboemaroni ➡️
Referring to my first post, in which I said that my subjective experience is one of having had more issues with AMD than with Intel.
Ok, well you can't assume that the same will hold true for all generations of CPU architecture. And you probably shouldn't state it as a fact that this difference would exist on the current latest generations without that being absolutely true, just so others won't get the wrong idea based on your anecdotal experience with past generations.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
CES Jan 2023

7950X3D

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You didn't recall correctly, the i9-13900K outperforms the 7950x at 64 and 128 buffers by quite a bit, while 7950X catches up close to it at 256 and goes on to a very minor lead at 512 (more like a tie / within variance of the testing method IMHO).

Also, no Bus test results released but they are supposedly rather close - previous results indicate that they seem to follow synthetic singlecore results quite closely, which would place the i9-13900K as the pre-favourite. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

I don't know what specific issues there are with Cubase, but I'm guessing it could be something similar to what I've observed on Pro Tools, which really is a non-issue (I.e. on heavily bussed sessions, offline bounce speed gets limited from the maximum power available as the algorithm extrapolates available processing power from the average between P and E cores - can be mitigated with setting Affinity and Avid are working on it. Bounce speeds are still *very* fast generally).
Mikko

yes I'm probably remembering the Apple M1 test vs x86 windows

M
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
doing some more testing and house keeping in the studio today.

here's a test with 10 random plugins per track

Project load is 1003 Plugins all active and working .

Obviously you can see the load is spread very nicely as they're all just audio tracks.

It's the first time I've heard the fans on the AIO become audible

Not surprising though and the CPU isn't throttling at all , it's boosting up to 5.7 ghz nicely.

M
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-1003-plugins.jpg  
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrider ➡️
CES Jan 2023

7950X3D

What are the % numbers based on?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What are the % numbers based on?
Well the last CPU has 100%, so I'm guessing that's the reference...?
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc ➡️
Well the last CPU has 100%, so I'm guessing that's the reference...?
Sure, but it's quite relevant what the actual test is (like the different results with Geekbench vs Cinebench etc)
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure, but it's quite relevant what the actual test is (like the different results with Geekbench vs Cinebench etc)
Oh, I see what you mean.. yes of course..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
doing some more testing and house keeping in the studio today.

here's a test with 10 random plugins per track

Project load is 1003 Plugins all active and working .

Obviously you can see the load is spread very nicely as they're all just audio tracks.

It's the first time I've heard the fans on the AIO become audible

Not surprising though and the CPU isn't throttling at all , it's boosting up to 5.7 ghz nicely.

M
Ok the prospect of moving to the upgradeable AMD platform is becoming more appealing to me. Especially if they release the 7950x3d with more performance in q1 or 2 of 2023.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Guys sorry to interrupt. My post got lost some pages ago.
I'm about to buy the same ram kit I had to double my memory but would like to make sure it is something possible.
I have a MEG-Z690 / i9-12900K and using ram F5-6000U4040E16GX2-TZ5RK 2x16
The MSI compatibility page is not clear for me
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-...FY/support#mem
I read on internet I can double ram as long as the kits are the same. Is that true and will work well for kontakt ? or do I need a single 64Go kit.
thx
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
You are able to set it up so that it's silent during low (recording) load. You can also tweak the fan curve to also be to ramp up unless approaching extreme temps.

It will throttle in Cinebench on air for sure, but you will lose only 5% or so of perf, and still have the fastest singlecore etc. I'm now extremely happy with my i9-13 (My current mix project is 540 mono voices in PT and it's running significantly smoother than the i9-12).
Very helpful response.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Concerned that the base speed on 13900 might be a bottleneck. Are you always on turbo when mixing?
Gear Addict

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_of_ours ➡️
Very helpful response.

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

Concerned that the base speed on 13900 might be a bottleneck. Are you always on turbo when mixing?
NP! Yes I have full turbo (defaults) on, and even some overclocking. Pro Tools defaults Windows to High Performance Power (and switches back to whatever it was on exit, I keep the machine on Balanced when not doing audio), which in turn puts the CPU on constant All Core Turbo. In my case that currently means 6 of the P-cores at x56 with the 2 favored P-cores at x58, and E-cores at x44 (via core ratio overclocking and per core ratio limits).

MSI's recent new BIOS actually opened some voltage VF Curve + Offset options, I plan to revisit the OC at some point, would be great to get the favored cores up to x59 or even x60 (as the Win 11 Thread Director seems to really "favor" them, which is good!)

So TLDR: Keep turbo on, no bottlenecks.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
NP! Yes I have full turbo (defaults) on, and even some overclocking. Pro Tools defaults Windows to High Performance Power (and switches back to whatever it was on exit, I keep the machine on Balanced when not doing audio), which in turn puts the CPU on constant All Core Turbo. In my case that currently means 6 of the P-cores at x56 with the 2 favored P-cores at x58, and E-cores at x44 (via core ratio overclocking and per core ratio limits).

MSI's recent new BIOS actually opened some voltage VF Curve + Offset options, I plan to revisit the OC at some point, would be great to get the favored cores up to x59 or even x60 (as the Win 11 Thread Director seems to really "favor" them, which is good!)

So TLDR: Keep turbo on, no bottlenecks.
Awesome. Thank you. I'm going to keep this info for future use.
My current machine is getting older. Using Audiogridder to give me some extra breathing room (just on same machine). But I suspect with a 13900 with 24 cores, that won't be an issue for years.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It looks to be FPS (the key is on the top part of the grey, on the right it says "FPS"). So gaming performance, mostly single core.

It has historically been the case that gaming performance tracks fairly closely to low latency audio performance, but I don't think anyone should make in real assumptions about 7950x3d at this point.

Maybe the one safe assumption we can make right now is there is going to be a run on this chips from gamers, with scalping and all that, when they first drop.
Old 14 hours ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Finally to the installing audio PCIe cards (insulating software and data took forever)

I’m digging this Fractal 7 xl case! I could fit a dead body in this thing! Also, the case side panels have some sort of fabric liner… maybe sound reduction?

Anyhoo… highly recommended!
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-07e157b0-4ba4-4d2b-b2e0-9b67c37f0506.jpeg  
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Finally to the installing audio PCIe cards (insulating software and data took forever)

I’m digging this Fractal 7 xl case! I could fit a dead body in this thing! Also, the case side panels have some sort of fabric liner… maybe sound reduction?

Anyhoo… highly recommended!
It's to reduce high frequency noise.

And I also have that case for my Threadripper build. It is the largest, easiest case I ever worked with. It can pretty much accommodate any motherboard and AIO that's presently out there. The cable management is pretty good and the fun hub is rather handy. I like that you can switch the top panel to either solid or vented depending on cooling approach. The permanent PSU shroud is a small annoyance, but I have no complaints otherwise.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kite ➡️
You MUST have lots of plugins and programs for 2 TB. It is really an overkill. Others have said/written too. Samsung is great, but I don't get why You need 2 TB. Save the money. 1 TB is more than ok. In a few years You can upgrade w/ that money an other faster/sexier drive.
While I have a few extra programs, and a fair bit of plugins, I have no vsti installed on my current test machine and I've got a full 1tb drive (by full I mean within the 10-20% of full that Samsung recommends).

Convolution based plugins can eat a lot of space, and you can't always put the IR's on another drive. The Applied Acoustics reverb takes 100gb. My liquidsonics stuff I think around 40gb.

Either way, with 2tb SSD gen3/4 being under 200$ nowadays I see it as a reasonable thing. If for no other reason than having to clone or fresh install during for an upgrade.

Also if you track prices of SATA SSD they are now literally almost the same cost as nvme. So there's no guarantee that nvme prices will continue to fall as they get older. Especially talking about older grn stuff where the chips may no longer be in production or at least in a limited supply.

Also the space doesn't have to go unused if plugins and stuff don't make use of the 2tb right away. Storing backup files, or doing disk cach, or anything can make use of the space until it's necessary for C drive related stuff.

Anyway, just the way I think about. Too much storage just doesn't seem to be a problem.
Old 5 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Too much storage just doesn't seem to be a problem.
The old saying says that you can never be too rich or too thin. To that I'd definitely add that you can never have too much storage.

Considering that 20 years ago you'd pay a buck a gb for an HDD, prices now are mild by comparison.
📝 Reply