The "today we build our studio pc" thread - Page 493 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Cool setup! Just fyi, with ryzen 5000 series is different than intel and other ryzen, because the best single cores are on the 5950x. So the models with lower core count, also have lower single core performance.
Do you have a link on that information? I'd like to investigate that further, as I'm trying to decide between 5800x and 5950x.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus ➡️
Some tweaks you may like here

Without ANY doubt, this is the RAM to get
https://www.pccomponentes.com/crucia...gb-2x16gb-cl16
Ryzen likes fast ram
http://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/07...ake-an-impact/

This is cheaper/better with front/back USB-C and no pesky/fragile chipset fan
https://www.pccomponentes.com/gigaby...0-aorus-pro-v2
If you want Thunderbolt
https://www.pccomponentes.com/asus-proart-b550-creator
If you want a new audio interface, check the performance here

You can change the cooler for the Noctua NH-D15S and you will have more space to manage the GPU/RAM
https://www.pccomponentes.com/noctua-nh-d15s

For PSU https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...psus,4229.html

Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Unfortunately it seems my pc store hasn't got stock for the motherboards you suggested, or at least that's what the assistant working there said. He suggested to go with this build instead: http://www.pccomponentes.com/configurador/28D4C76f3

What do you guys think? Is the thunderbolt t type-c the same thunderbolt port I could use with audio interfaces?

Thanks again!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guileus ➡️
What do you guys think? Is the thunderbolt t type-c the same thunderbolt port I could use with audio interfaces?

Thanks again!
Yes Asus ROG MAXIMUS XIII HERO has two native thunderbolt ports that you can use for audio interfaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinobyte ➡️

I think soon though I will need an upgrade for my facility's main daw host, and I am not sure how long I can wait, would you advise AMD over intel currently because of AMD superiority?
I also will need the fastest thunderbolt and PCI bus possible, we traffic a lot of data around here.
Thank you for any advice
Intel Core i9-12900K Alder Lake 16 core comes just in a couple of months. Raptor lake comes in a year or so. So if you can wait a month or two buy:
Alders Lake
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
is 7940x (x299) to 11900k (z590) worth it? just procesor and mobo swap
already on ddr4000 and M2 SSD's (samsung 970)
Doubtful, but it would depend a bit- The 11900k will have higher single core.

For me, 7980xe to 5950x has been absolutely worth it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodslanding ➡️
Well, Usine seems to be extremely good at distributing the load among cores. That said, for a given cooling, I might well get faster core speeds with fewer cores.

I run 15 channels of audio live, so 16 cores seemed nice to me. But I guess I'll have 16 threads even with 8 cores.

I note that the TDP is the same for 8,12 or 16 cores. But I'm guessing the actual heat generated is not the same?? I can't see how it could be.... so yes, 8 cores might be as much as I should run. But whenever I build, I want to get the most future proofness I can.

The Sunburst is indeed one of the libraries that won't currently run... although it surprisingly comes close on the 5775. It will run at 128 even with all the other plugs running. A lot of the 8dio libraries are hungrier though...

I do live performance with a half dozen local bands, and also a good bit of studio work. I get hired by producers that AREN'T keyboard players. (Of course, most are.) This setup is really nice for auditioning, layering and processing sounds really quickly, so producers like getting something mix-ready really quickly. And with the UCX, I can give them wet and dry tracks, as well as splitting out layers if needed. Everything fits in the case, including the stool, and it sets up in five minutes, which is good for those poorly planned festival gigs! I'm quite happy with it. It's been a nearly 20 year evolution since I first committed to virtual and brought a laptop on stage.
Cool-

I'm not really very familiar with Usine, if there's a way for me to test your projects here I'd be happy to do it for you. I probably have most of the same VI's or substitutes that should get an idea. Looks like there is a track limited demo...send me a DM if there is a way to license/unlicense or something.

I guess the question is rather you are layering all 15 channels at once, or switching between?

I can play Sunburst and the Stradivari libraries with no problems at 32 samples when there isn't a big session- when there is a big session, I can still record the midi with very low level glitches...Mostly in studio one here, and with ZLM on, so that's just single-core only. But maybe that does make a case for 5950x for you.

This is with HDSPe MADI in a PCIe/TB enclosure.

@ Kyle P. Gushue GB5 single core numbers looks the same-ish across the board...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by guileus ➡️
Thanks a lot for your help guys.
Unfortunately it seems my pc store hasn't got stock for the motherboards you suggested, or at least that's what the assistant working there said. He suggested to go with this build instead: http://www.pccomponentes.com/configurador/28D4C76f3

Thanks again!
Personally, I would either order AMD 5000 parts, or if I was waiting, wait for Alder Lake and Zen 4 and possibly Raptor Lake.

Alder Lake brings a lot of changes, including windows 11 that may require updates from software developers, and lacks AVX-512 instructions so will likely be a setback for Acoustica/Aqua/N4 users.

I think it's likely to be a good chip for many users, but I would be hesitant to jump right in at the beginning.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
probably, decided on CPU?
Intel Core i7-11700K is not the top model but compared to 9900K it is pretty good
To put things in perspective, the performance difference between the Core i7-11700K and Core i9-11900K is fairly negligible. I'd take the Core i7-11700K easily between the two as it's a better value and you can put the difference towards other components or a better audio interface.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

For they who have Quantum 2626. Universal control 3.6 (firmware update) has now been released which fixes youtube sound falling out when using DAW at the same time
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Do you have a link on that information? I'd like to investigate that further, as I'm trying to decide between 5800x and 5950x.
It’s been stated in a variety of videos, here’s a couple links to websites.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16214...700x-tested/31

https://technical.city/en/cpu/Ryzen-...-Ryzen-9-5950X

As @ RyanC mentioned, performance is close. And all are strong performers. I just wanted to mention it because it’s contrary to all other cpus, which have decreased single core performance with higher core counts.

I wouldn’t get the 5950x just for the small increase in single core, but also I wouldn’t shy away from it thinking it was like other chips when prioritizing single core performance.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinobyte ➡️
Hello, I am new to building windows computers and I am leaving apple after 12 good apple years. I can't count on the M1 chip yet for my uses so don't try to convince me like all the other apple fans, I have heard it all.

This raptor core9 CPU looks to be amazing and I hope it is a success for intel.

I think soon though I will need an upgrade for my facility's main daw host, and I am not sure how long I can wait, would you advise AMD over intel currently because of AMD superiority?
I also will need the fastest thunderbolt and PCI bus possible, we traffic a lot of data around here.
Thank you for any advice
Amd r5000 is currently the best chips for audio. Things get more even when comparing R3000 to intel 10/11 gen. The intel 10850k is the best performance per dollar on intel side.

With alder lake you have the unknowns of early adoption, and lack of hyper threading on the little cores, and it requires windows 11 for optimal core load distribution. There is also a question of how much heat they generate.

R5000 is not going to be upgradable.

To me if at all possible, it makes sense to hold off till smoke clears on new intel, and amd has the ddr5 and pcie5 and it’s 3D cache.

Basically we are at a major transition point as we were about 8-10 years ago when nvme drives, ddr4, and pcie3 were all hitting the market.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I just wanted to mention it because it’s contrary to all other cpus, which have decreased single core performance with higher core counts.
Gotcha, Kyle. What I'm looking at now is this graph:

The 5900x seems to be able to accomplish a lot more for the same or even slightly less thermal load.

Of course I don't know if this would translate to audio. I suppose that depends on how Usine distributes load between processors. Hoping to hear from the developer on that soon.... Maybe 16 cores would distribute the load from my 15 audio channels better.

To answer Ryan's question from further up the thread: I do often have most, and sometimes all, of my channels running. It's certainly designed to be possible.... It is fun to just keep stacking layers on sometimes :0
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Gotcha, Kyle. What I'm looking at now is this graph:

The 5900x seems to be able to accomplish a lot more for the same or even slightly less thermal load.

Of course I don't know if this would translate to audio. I suppose that depends on how Usine distributes load between processors. Hoping to hear from the developer on that soon.... Maybe 16 cores would distribute the load from my 15 audio channels better.

To answer Ryan's question from further up the thread: I do often have most, and sometimes all, of my channels running. It's certainly designed to be possible.... It is fun to just keep stacking layers on sometimes :0
I may be reading the chart wrong but to me it points to the 5900x having the most potential for being quiet, since its getting alot of work done with low energy. This would keep temps and fans lower.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
I may be reading the chart wrong but to me it points to the 5900x having the most potential for being quiet, since its getting alot of work done with low energy. This would keep temps and fans lower.
Okay, heard back on Usine multi-threading. The way I have it set up, each track will get its own thread, so I can set it up to use exactly 16 threads.

Now I'm wondering: can you run the 5950x cores single-threaded?? If I could devote a whole core to each track, it seems like it would not tax each core much at all. There would be tons of headroom for those power hungry instruments, but that would just affect the one core, and not add so much to the overall heat level.

But the architecture may not be set up that way at all. In which case, maybe the 5800x is the way to go.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Okay, heard back on Usine multi-threading. The way I have it set up, each track will get its own thread, so I can set it up to use exactly 16 threads.

Now I'm wondering: can you run the 5950x cores single-threaded?? If I could devote a whole core to each track, it seems like it would not tax each core much at all. There would be tons of headroom for those power hungry instruments, but that would just affect the one core, and not add so much to the overall heat level.

But the architecture may not be set up that way at all. In which case, maybe the 5800x is the way to go.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16261...amd-ryzen-5000

Looking like minimal to zero advantage in disabling SMT....
Old 23 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola ➡️
I just wanted to share my problems with an asus rog stryx z390 and a non shielded blingbling led housing with transparent sides. I use an RME babyface and we had a lot of strange interference noise while recording froö hearing the neighbours sheep fence to noise coming into the pickups of a guitar.

I replaced the housing abd still had issues. I had to decouple the babyface with an usb isolator (noise coming from the cabs of the mobo trough usb into DAW).

so.. never buy a non-metal case, stay away from led bling bling and use an usb isolator if you use a babyface. also look at the mobo (there are videos on youtube to measure cap noise).

hope that helps someone out there.
Long time lurker here...thank you all for sharing a wealth of great info.

I have a similar setup (tg panel case, BFP Pro FS) and have the same noise issue, can you share which usb isolator you got to fix the problem? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ponegoro; 23 hours ago at 09:08 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 20 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi there,

I'm going to buy my 5950X configuration soon, as recommended here by Pictus, but the Crucial black 3600 in 64 GB is still unavailable in Europe. But the crucial RGB is... What do you think? Are there any reliable alternatives or the RGB is ok ? It seems to be the same specs but maybe I'm missing something.
Old 18 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyesse ➡️
Hi there,

I'm going to buy my 5950X configuration soon, as recommended here by Pictus, but the Crucial black 3600 in 64 GB is still unavailable in Europe. But the crucial RGB is... What do you think? Are there any reliable alternatives or the RGB is ok ? It seems to be the same specs but maybe I'm missing something.
Hi,
The Ballistix RGB uses the same Micron chips, they just added some LEDs.
IF the Ballistix(RGB or not) is unavailable, the second option is G.Skill Trident Z Neo.
Old 8 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictus ➡️
Hi,
The Ballistix RGB uses the same Micron chips, they just added some LEDs.
IF the Ballistix(RGB or not) is unavailable, the second option is G.Skill Trident Z Neo.
Perfect 👍
Big thanks
Old 5 hours ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory

Significant price drop at Adorama and B&H.

I just pulled the trigger on 4 sticks.
📝 Reply