The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
Does not matter if the plugin is a little bit lighter as long as all using the same chain. Just say what you added if your chain gets longer than mine. Then I can for example see how much I must higher the buffer to manage that chain. Or create another chain from the IK bundle (with heavier plugins) without rotation. The point is: No rotation.
As mentioned before rotation/repetition on same track is a bad way to measure CPU single core. To much unknown factors like; which DAW, plugin programming, plugin version and so on. The point with this test is to measure CPU single core with a chain of plugins in one track. There is no logical explanation why anybody should insist on using rotation or repetition of the same plugin to measure CPU single core. No pun intended. If somebody insist on that then it will make me suspicious of their motives Call me paranoid but to many examples of AMD fanboyism that makes some hiding and manipulation facts. Or somebody have found a loophole where AMD crushes Intel. Again not aimed at you.

As to using a another audio interface (slidestonowhere has the Quantum) then of course he must inform about the RTL so we all can work on the same RTL. At least all must work under the same output latency. As to input latency I'm not sure if that is a factor as long as you don't send anything into the pc. Having the same RTL is the easiest way to do it.
Hmmm, lots of trip hazards there.

First, there is no way to precisely match output latencies. 2nd, the whole truth uncovered in the LL interface database is that there isn't a fixed correlation between output latency and performance at a given buffer size when comparing different interfaces/drivers.

For instance the Apollo X8 running natively has higher latency AND worse performance than RME, and the quantum is between the two when both are factored.

Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base

EG extra latency does not guarantee it better performance.

Absolutely no doubt that these types of tests that we have cooked up here are not, and can not be entirely conclusive. For sure, between different processors we will see the performance gap vary significantly from plugin to plugin. The other elephant in the room is what happens when you have one core stressed in the context of a large project.

A good example there is any native system vs HDX. When creating a synthetic test using all the same plugins- the native system will perform very well. OTOH, HDX doesn't have any sort of susceptibility to becoming glitchy, or unstable with a mix of pluings in a real world session (unless the native side is stressed). Native systems, in real world use, have a tendency to creep towards a single core stress point- which is a non issue for DSP systems.

Because of that- if we had two computers that were pretty equal, but different designs (maybe 3950x and 10960x), we might see one real world session run better on one, and another real world session run better on the other.

Point all being that for this sort of test we have to settle for the best we can do. If we try a couple different plugins, and get variation in the performance, I think the reasonable thing to do is average them.

But, with all of that said, I think we should cook up a test that has more than just one track with a bunch of plugins on it. We can get closer to 'real world use' if there are other tracks using resources as well.

Do you also have fabfilter or izotope, any other softube? I'm thinking of a Reaper project (it's free and tiny to download) that has maybe 30 tracks with various plugins, and one track that shoots for stressing a single core.

This is where I'm seeing the biggest advantage of the 5950x over the 7980xe, but it's also possible that the 18core intel has some disadvantage in this scenario compared to the other i9 processors with less cores...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️

Do you also have fabfilter or izotope, any other softube? I'm thinking of a Reaper project (it's free and tiny to download) that has maybe 30 tracks with various plugins, and one track that shoots for stressing a single core.
yes I have all of those, but I still cannot understand why you cannot just add more plugins from the Ik bundle cause you seems to have that. And you have the Presonus Quantum so just have these setting:

44.1KHz on 32 buffer size (2,72ms RTL) on one stereo track:
Tape 24, sunset, leslie, stealth, TRS EQP-1A, TRS EQ-PA, TRS EQ-PB, TRS EQ-PB, TR5 Opto Comp, TR5 Saturator X ++++

And then add more plugins (no repeat/rotation) from the Ik bundle until you get pops and clicks

Or create a new chain with IK, fabfilter, izotope and softube, no rotation/repeat....then post the result here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yes I have all of those, but I still cannot understand why you cannot just add more plugins from the Ik bundle cause you seems to have that. And you have the Presonus Quantum so just have these setting:

Tape 24, sunset, leslie, stealth, TRS EQP-1A, TRS EQ-PA, TRS EQ-PB, TRS EQ-PB, TR5 Opto Comp, TR5 Saturator X ++++

And then add more plugins (no repeat/rotation) from the Ik bundle until you get pops and clicks

Or create a new chain with IK, fabfilter, izotope and softube, no rotation/repeat....then post the result here.
Ok-

I don't get what that will establish because each plugin uses a different amount of CPU resources. But I'll do that when I get a chance.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok-

I don't get what that will establish because each plugin uses a different amount of CPU resources. But I'll do that when I get a chance.
Much more accurate and real world scenario than having the same plugin repeat in a chain. That was the thing you have been talking about all the time, how our CPU's manage to handle a plugin chain on one stereo track on low buffer size. I don't understand that you don't understand. I mean who the hell uses the same plugin again and again in one plugin chain? Again most plugins/DAW's are not programmed for that. If you have to do that you should use DAW trickery like sending/bus track.

Again in this order:

And add more from fabfilter, izotope and softube if the CPU can handle more on that setting without click and pops.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ok-

It doesn't seem very well constructed as a test. DAWbench went through several iterations and Vin put in a fair amount of energy setting that up (I think Pete from Scan helped).

Just 'winging' it like the other guy does doesn't seem productive. If the plugins - as you say - take up different amounts of resources then how are we supposed to compare like to like? Suppose if the "rotation" ends differently on different CPUs, then it's no longer really comparable if it ends with a different load in different cases.

As far as I see it it would make more sense to figure out what effect a plugin has on the system and then stick with that plugin to measure that load. Not mix and match. And if there is mixing and matching then the same thing should probably apply but in a more targeted mixing and matching...

Either way: I vote separate thread

edit;
Quote:
Ok-

I don't get what that will establish
He's only interested in one outcome btw...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 7737321 ➡️
you must have missed it.
Where is it? Or did i not see it because it doesn't exist?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Re: Tests.

Why not split the difference? Use a set of plugs on the master bus, then a series on a channel.

If the ultimate goal is to figure out where a natuve system is no longer able to record a new live track with a pluggin(s) on it, having a master bus set makes sense.

It really doesn't matter for testing purposes what plugs you use, as long as you use the same one.

--

A 2nd "real world test" is a great at that RyanC suggested. This way you can simulate an actual session. Maybe drums have 16ch of the same 4 plugs, ect. Then add a live track with plugs and see when it craps out.

This shows how a multi core load plays into the breaking point on a single core.

If you use the same master bus chain on both tests, then omit the master bus, we can determine the load the MB puts on a low track count, and high track count situation, and doesn't require a whole new test.

These along with scan, cover the basic situations. Full mix break point (scan), tracking with a pluggin at thr start of the project (single track/master bus, and tracking with a plug towards the end ie last minute idea, (full session/master bus)

-

This will allow evaluation of single core in two scenarios, and multi core.
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Where is it? Or did i not see it because it doesn't exist?
ECC RAM is just snake oil.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So what you mean is you have no data showing ecc ram is beneficial FOR AUDIO? And no data showing intel is more reliable than amd? We have already established your claim about amd and ecc ram being moot was incorrect.

This forum is full of people making claims they can't back up. When asked for data they side step.

If you like intel, good on ya. Why make up myths about amd to support your preference?
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
So what you mean is you have no data showing ecc ram is beneficial FOR AUDIO? And no data showing intel is more reliable than amd? We have already established your claim about amd and ecc ram being moot was incorrect.

This forum is full of people making claims they can't back up. When asked for data they side step.

If you like intel, good on ya. Why make up myths about amd to support your preference?
You sound triggered.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
You sound triggered.
Better than sounding stupid.
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
Better than sounding stupid.
Ironic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Ironic.
I was on the fence for a bit, but you have removed all doubt—you are here to troll.
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
I was on the fence for a bit, but you have removed all doubt—you are here to troll.
Incorrect. I just don't see the point in getting over-engaged in a pointless argument with someone who started the interaction with 'just buy some "3600mhz ECC"'. On that topic, ECC vs non-ECC has been discussed on this very forum, one just needs to use the search function.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Incorrect. I just don't see the point in getting over-engaged in a pointless argument with someone who started the interaction with 'just buy some "3600mhz ECC"'. On that topic, ECC vs non-ECC has been discussed on this very forum, one just needs to use the search function.
Ok, why not prove me wrong with your posts going forward?
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi ➡️
Ok, why not prove me wrong with your posts going forward?
No need. ...Or interest.
Here for the gear

Quote:
44.1KHz on 32 buffer size (2,72ms RTL)
Tape 24, sunset, leslie, stealth, TRS EQP-1A, TRS EQ-PA, TRS EQ-PB, TRS EQ-PB, TR5 Opto Comp, TR5 Saturator X then click and pops

This pretty much confirm "my" theory that having the same plugin multiplied on one track creates unknown issues. At least it creates unnecessary unknown factors. So basically a chain without rotation is a much better way to measure....
My RTL is 2.5ms at 32 buffer and 86.5ms at 2048 buffer. I'm 48k.

I know we're not going to get a perfect test, but the ballpark idea still feels helpful. Why not test by adding IK Multimedia TR5 plugins in the order that they show up in Reaper (see attached pic)? If you get to the end with TR5 White Channel, you can go back to the top. We can also then see if the ratios we get are about what we get by adding the same plugin (I'm betting they will). I won't be at the studio until tomorrow and will test them, at 32 buffer and at 2048 buffer.
Attached Thumbnails
The "today we build our studio pc" thread-screen-shot-2021-04-11-5.58.52-pm.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Is this Optiplex 5080 good for audio production?

It's not top specs, but I've got to keep it near $1K. The Intel i5-10500 has six cores/12 threads. The 16GB RAM is DDR4-2666. It has room for up to 128GB RAM. Dell Optiplex is the business line and is said to have good compnent quality and customer service.

From Amazon: "Dell OptiPlex 5080 SFF Small Desktop Computer - 10th Gen Intel 6-Core i5-10500 up to 4.5 GHz CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 630, DVD Burner, Wireless Mouse, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) $1,109."

It'd be for 44.1 home studio recording of 4-8 tracks per song, and mixing with some of today's CPU-swallowing plugins.

Thanks so much!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barfwafl ➡️
It's not top specs, but I've got to keep it near $1K. The Intel i5-10500 has six cores/12 threads. The 16GB RAM is DDR4-2666. It has room for up to 128GB RAM. Dell Optiplex is the business line and is said to have good compnent quality and customer service.

From Amazon: "Dell OptiPlex 5080 SFF Small Desktop Computer - 10th Gen Intel 6-Core i5-10500 up to 4.5 GHz CPU, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 630, DVD Burner, Wireless Mouse, Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) $1,109."

It'd be for 44.1 home studio recording of 4-8 tracks per song, and mixing with some of today's CPU-swallowing plugins.

Thanks so much!
nahh usually those prebuild from dell is crap. Here is inside of it:

For example what kind of motherboard is that? And if that CPU cooler needs replacing it is usually a nightmare to get the right proprietary part. Much better to build your own.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barfwafl ➡️

Thanks so much!
Those have special power supplies, and you can get poor from replacement needs.

If Dell, then at least a full-size one.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
ECC memory performs as it promises, so it isn't snake oil in the narrow sense.

Whether you need or should want it is a different matter, but it does work as advertised.
Deleted 7737321
Quote:
Originally Posted by uOpt ➡️
ECC memory performs as it promises, so it isn't snake oil in the narrow sense.

Whether you need or should want it is a different matter, but it does work as advertised.
I was being sarcastic. I use ECC when I can. My mobile DAW is a Thinkpad P50.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidestonowhere ➡️
My RTL is 2.5ms at 32 buffer and 86.5ms at 2048 buffer. I'm 48k.

I know we're not going to get a perfect test, but the ballpark idea still feels helpful. Why not test by adding IK Multimedia TR5 plugins in the order that they show up in Reaper (see attached pic)? If you get to the end with TR5 White Channel, you can go back to the top. We can also then see if the ratios we get are about what we get by adding the same plugin (I'm betting they will). I won't be at the studio until tomorrow and will test them, at 32 buffer and at 2048 buffer.
Okay here are my results. Same "rule" clicks and pops begins if adding one more plugin. Change to 44.1Khz for this test since that is the standard for most.

44.1Khz, buffer size 32, RTL 2.72ms. One stereo track all plugins in a chain

44.1Khz, buffer size 2048, RTL 93,4ms. One stereo track all plugins in a chain

Nearly made the whole list, pretty impressive 40 plugins in chain. My audio track sounded very strange when adding all those plugins

Just for fun I tried with insane low latency.
192Khz, buffer size 32, RTL 0,74ms. One stereo track all plugins in a chain

Actually no click and pops more like a strange metallic sound began to appear after the last plugin on the list.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenSW ➡️
@ J_O_P : It has nothing to do with air turbulence. The F12 and P12 produce some humming noise on their own. See my previous post with a youtube video which shows what I'm talking about.
But it's entirely possible that your samples don't have this problem. As I said, it's a bit of a lottery.
I mentioned the hum as negative in my first post about them. It's also mentioned in the respective videos that we posted. I dialed down the RPM to a point of adequate cooling without the humming noise. I am still playing with the curve to find the optimum setting for various temperatures. I tried to do the same thing for the Noctua NF-A14 PMW Chromax, because despite Noctua 's reputation for producing good quality fans and heatsinks (still have my NH-D14), they also had a humming issue at certain RPMs. And I'm not the only one who experienced it.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/buildapc/co...ng_noise_with/

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/vi...hp?f=9&t=70048

https://linustechtips.com/topic/9853...humming-noise/

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/t...-issue.268890/

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/vi...hp?f=9&t=69942

Sometimes it's a case of samples, sometimes it's design. I ended up replacing the NF-A14 PWM Chromax as intake fans because of the humming they generated out while doing so. They were good as replacements for the old fans of my NH-D14, but I didn't like them as case fans for the Define R5. My opinion may change overtime, but right now, in comparison with the:

Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 (stock fans)
Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax
bequiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm PWM High Speed

I'm finding that Arctic P14 is doing a good job as a case fan. I'll update as I spend more time with them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well guys, this build has been a complete and utter nightmare. I've had to return a power supply that Gigabyte said was defective (it wasn't), the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D or the original i9-10850k I received were defective as well. I received a new i9-10850k and an ASUS Z490 Creator 10G last week and loaded Windows 10 Pro on a Samsung NVMe 980 drive but had problems with Windows errors. I had 4 different chat sessions with Microsoft last week from Monday-Friday and after finally receiving an error code, it was determined that the hard drive was defective as well. I ordered a replacement on Amazon, which was supposed to be delivered on Saturday but at 4:30, I received an email stating that it wouldn't arrive until this Thursday, so I cancelled it. The only NVMe drive I could find locally was a Samsung 970 and while it's 10 times as fast as my old Evo 850, it's not exactly what I wanted. Oh well.

So finally, I was able to load Windows 10 Pro without issue and loaded all of my software and plugins. Whew! But wait: My MOTU 828es would only communicate via Thunderbolt in one direction only (Output) and while I could see the meters for my inputs, I couldn't figure out how to route them properly. So, I called MOTU and spent nearly 2 hours with tech support and while he could get the USB connections to work, he couldn't figure out how to get the input into Cubase using Thunderbolt. He saved everything and said that it wouldn't matter if I connected USB or TB in terms of connections, then recommended that I update the BIOS and all drivers. I made a Restore Point so in case it didn't work or made things worse, I could at least work using USB.

I updated every driver along with the BIOS. Once it rebooted a dozen times or so, I launched Cubase with USB to check everything and it was all good, so I plugged in the Thunderbolt, verified it was connected and the MOTU rebooted itself. I launched Cubase and again, nothing. No input nor output. I imported the Preset created by the MOTU tech and still, no signal. I unplugged TB and went back to USB, which for some reason, changed all of the labels in Cubase, so I had to re-route the inputs and outputs to match the Device Window. I now have Inputs and Outputs in Cubase but for whatever reason, I lost my Windows output, so I don't have any Windows sound. This unit has never imported and exported properly so I'm not surprised. I guess I'll call MOTU back in the morning to ask them how to get my Windows sound back. But at least I have USB In/Out in Cubase in the meantime.

The MOTU tech said that I could have a defective Startech Cable or a defective Startech Convertor box so I just created an Amazon exchange for both. It's really difficult for me to believe that I'd receive so many defective items but I guess QC is a bit off due to the pandemic and the worldwide demand for computer parts and supplies. But still, it's just so weird that I'd have this many problems.

Has anyone else had issue with MOTU Thunderbolt connections?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
My MOTU 828es would only communicate via Thunderbolt in one direction only (Output) and while I could see the meters for my inputs, I couldn't figure out how to route them properly.
The MOTU tech said that I could have a defective Startech Cable or a defective Startech Convertor box so I just created an Amazon exchange for both.

Has anyone else had issue with MOTU Thunderbolt connections?
I can almost guarantee that you don't have a defective startech adapter/cable. It's something else.
Just to be sure.. you should not have usb cable connected to audio interface when you are using thunderbolt.
Before troubleshooting further have you done this:

Or did it not show any presets for inputs? This should show

Thread about motu-828e:
MOTU 828es--Any impressions?

One more thing what do the thunderbolt control center say? If you don't have it try and download it from Microsoft store:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/th...ot:overviewtab

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I can almost guarantee that you don't have a defective startech adapter/cable. It's something else.
Just to be sure.. you should not have usb cable connected to audio interface
Thanks, man! I've been a Cubase user since 1997 so I'm familiar with all of the input and output routing. I've owned RME's and Apogee's over the years but find this MOTU matrix to be confusing at best and awful at worst.

That said, the 828es has been working without issue via USB since I purchased it in 2018 but I've always wanted to use it via TB because of the bandwidth and the expectation of lower latency. Surprisingly, the latency is exactly the same as the USB connection, which MOTU tech support confirmed so in the end, I'm not sure this is even worth all of the hassle with this particular unit.

Like you, I'd be surprised if the StarTech gear is defective but since I've already dealt with a defective motherboard and NVMe drive, I suppose anything is possible. But the MOTU tech today said that they could be the issue so I went ahead and took advantage of the Amazon return window before it closes. He also said that Thunderbolt on a Windows box isn't nearly as rock solid as it is on a Mac, which again has me questioning whether I should spend any more time trying to get this right.

Thanks again!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks, man! I've been a Cubase user since 1997 so I'm familiar with all of the input and output routing. I've owned RME's and Apogee's over the years but find this MOTU matrix to be confusing at best and awful at worst.

That said, the 828es has been working without issue via USB since I purchased it in 2018 but I've always wanted to use it via TB because of the bandwidth and the expectation of lower latency. Surprisingly, the latency is exactly the same as the USB connection, which MOTU tech support confirmed so in the end, I'm not sure this is even worth all of the hassle with this particular unit.

Like you, I'd be surprised if the StarTech gear is defective but since I've already dealt with a defective motherboard and NVMe drive, I suppose anything is possible. But the MOTU tech today said that they could be the issue so I went ahead and took advantage of the Amazon return window before it closes. He also said that Thunderbolt on a Windows box isn't nearly as rock solid as it is on a Mac, which again has me questioning whether I should spend any more time trying to get this right.

Thanks again!
Okay when you get new adapter and cable see what Thunderbolt control center says
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Okay when you get new adapter and cable see what Thunderbolt control center says
Thanks man, will do!

I'm beginning to think there's an issue with the actual MOTU box because as I mentioned, it's never properly imported and exported configurations and with the Thunderbolt acting squirrelly, it might have a defective chip.

Thanks again!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I now have Inputs and Outputs in Cubase but for whatever reason, I lost my Windows output, so I don't have any Windows sound. This unit has never imported and exported properly so I'm not surprised. I guess I'll call MOTU back in the morning to ask them how to get my Windows sound back. But at least I have USB In/Out in Cubase in the meantime.
Do you mean that the MOTU interface doesn't show up at all when choosing an output in Windows, or do you mean it shows up but doesn't work?

Fwiw I got "Voicemeeter" (free) to route audio between the MOTU and Windows, and it's actually pretty convenient.
📝 Reply