Quantcast
The "today we build our studio pc" thread - Page 452 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 6th March 2021
  #13531
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Hey Dudes, I'm planning to replace my Intel i7-4790k computer with a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard so that I'm able to use TB with a MOTU 828es. I already have six SSD's but I'd like to have an NVMe 500gb drive as the main system drive. After researching on the internet as well as this thread, I've come up with the following:

Samsung NVMe 500 GB
Noctua NH-D155 Fan
Rosewell Server Chassis
32 GB Patriot Viper Memory
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel Core i9-10900k

I'll be running Windows 10 Pro but I'm a little fuzzy on the Thunderbolt protocol. I was planning to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the 828es but I've seen where people in this thread are using an outboard USB-C to Thunderbolt. Do I need that as an add-on or will I able to just use a cable?

This computer will be used strictly for my studio. No gaming or anything other than Cubase 10.5 hundreds of plugins. I don't think I'll require an outboard graphics card, as the Intel 4600 built-in graphics have been just fine for two 27" monitors. With that said, I'm certainly open to purchasing a graphics card, if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13532
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Hey Dudes, I'm planning to replace my Intel i7-4790k computer with a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard so that I'm able to use TB with a MOTU 828es. I already have six SSD's but I'd like to have an NVMe 500gb drive as the main system drive. After researching on the internet as well as this thread, I've come up with the following:

Samsung NVMe 500 GB
Noctua NH-D155 Fan
Rosewell Server Chassis
32 GB Patriot Viper Memory
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel Core i9-10900k

I'll be running Windows 10 Pro but I'm a little fuzzy on the Thunderbolt protocol. I was planning to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the 828es but I've seen where people in this thread are using an outboard USB-C to Thunderbolt. Do I need that as an add-on or will I able to just use a cable?

This computer will be used strictly for my studio. No gaming or anything other than Cubase 10.5 hundreds of plugins. I don't think I'll require an outboard graphics card, as the Intel 4600 built-in graphics have been just fine for two 27" monitors. With that said, I'm certainly open to purchasing a graphics card, if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
You need an adapter and a cable cause that Motu device is thunderbolt 2. I suggest these:
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)

Also maybe find a better known brand for your memory. On the memory support list for the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D it only supported very few Patriot Viper Memory.

One last thing the CPU fan is called Noctua NH-D15S not NH-D155
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13533
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
You need an adapter and a cable cause that Motu device is thunderbolt 2. I suggest these:
StarTech Thunderbolt cable 2M (TBOLTMM2MW)
StarTech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (TBT3TBTADAP)

Also maybe find a better known brand for your memory. On the memory support list for the Gigabyte Z490 Vision D it only supported very few Patriot Viper Memory.

One last thing the CPU fan is called Noctua NH-D15S not NH-D155
Wow, thank you very much for the insight and quick response! I'll add the StarTech gear to my list and make the Noctua correction.

Which brand of memory would you recommend? Thanks again!
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13534
Lives for gear
 
throbert's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Wow, thank you very much for the insight and quick response! I'll add the StarTech gear to my list and make the Noctua correction.

Which brand of memory would you recommend? Thanks again!
If I had been reading this forum I would already know to use Crusial Ballistix and a different case like a Fractal Design 7 as well.
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13535
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by throbert ➡️
If I had been reading this forum I would already know to use Crusial Ballistix and a different case as well.
Well, I haven't read every post in this thread.



I need a rackmounted case, as mine is 14 years old and I've often run into problems with fan height. What is the issue with the case I previously chose?

And Crucial Ballistix over Corsair Vengeance?

Thanks in advance!
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13536
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Well, I haven't read every post in this thread.



I need a rackmounted case, as mine is 14 years old and I've often run into problems with fan height. What is the issue with the case I previously chose?

And Crucial Ballistix over Corsair Vengeance?

Thanks in advance!
I did not see what pc case you picked I guess Noctua NH-D15S would be much too high for the Rosewell Server Chassis. By the way I don't think any low profile CPU coolers would cool the Intel Core i9-10900K in a good way.
Maybe Noctua NH-L12S can handle it. Or something liquid like for example NZXT Kraken Z63.
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13537
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
I did not see what pc case you picked I guess Noctua NH-D15S would be much too high for the Rosewell Server Chassis
Thanks, Dude!

Any server case will work but I really wanted at least 8 bays and 4 fans. My current case has 6 bays and only 2 fans and while I've never had any issues with overheating (my studio has a dedicated AC unit that's nearly always on), it's time for an update.

Thanks again for your input and time!
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13538
Lives for gear
 
throbert's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Thanks, Dude!

Any server case will work but I really wanted at least 8 bays and 4 fans. My current case has 6 bays and only 2 fans and while I've never had any issues with overheating (my studio has a dedicated AC unit that's nearly always on), it's time for an update.

Thanks again for your input and time!
I customized a 5U rackmount that I had made by PAR metals it will hold the Noctua NH-D15S but only has 2 140mm fans on the front. You can get drive racks that will hold 4 SSDs and fit in the 5.25" bays. iStar has them. You can liquid cool but you'll need to
do a custom set up for the rad and all to mount on the outside of the case that will swing out of the way for hookups better cooling transport etc,.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5U case.pdf (812.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 7th March 2021
  #13539
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Is the noctua good enough for the Intel Core i9-10900K? No overclock ing... just daw use...
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13540
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Is the noctua good enough for the Intel Core i9-10900K? No overclock ing... just daw use...
yes, Noctua NH-D15, Noctua NH-D15S and Noctua NH-U12A are good enough.

As for the low profile Noctua NH-L12S they recommend reducing power usage in bios:

Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13541
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Well, I haven't read every post in this thread.



I need a rackmounted case, as mine is 14 years old and I've often run into problems with fan height. What is the issue with the case I previously chose?

And Crucial Ballistix over Corsair Vengeance?

Thanks in advance!
You can go either/or. The Intel platforms are not as memory sensitive as AMD. And to add further confusion, G.Skill is also a good option. I used their memory in the past with no issues. Their Trident series are really good.

For cooling the i9-10900K, there is the low profile HSF cooler option, but that would mean scaling back the power. I would consider AIO due to size constraint. Either 240mm or 360mm depending on the server case.
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13542
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
I did not see what pc case you picked I guess Noctua NH-D15S would be much too high for the Rosewell Server Chassis. By the way I don't think any low profile CPU coolers would cool the Intel Core i9-10900K in a good way.
Maybe Noctua NH-L12S can handle it. Or something liquid like for example NZXT Kraken Z63.
Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll contact Noctua tomorrow to get their recommendations.

Oh and I'm not over-clocking the CPU. I'll just run it at normal speed.
Old 7th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13543
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll contact Noctua tomorrow to get their recommendations.

Oh and I'm not over-clocking the CPU. I'll just run it at normal speed.
They also have information on their website to check compatibility with motherboards and cases.
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13544
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P ➡️
Hey Dudes, I'm planning to replace my Intel i7-4790k computer with a Thunderbolt compatible motherboard so that I'm able to use TB with a MOTU 828es. I already have six SSD's but I'd like to have an NVMe 500gb drive as the main system drive. After researching on the internet as well as this thread, I've come up with the following:

Samsung NVMe 500 GB
Noctua NH-D155 Fan
Rosewell Server Chassis
32 GB Patriot Viper Memory
Thermaltake 850 watt PS
Gigabyte Z490 Vision D
Intel Core i9-10900k

I'll be running Windows 10 Pro but I'm a little fuzzy on the Thunderbolt protocol. I was planning to purchase a Thunderbolt 3 cable to connect the 828es but I've seen where people in this thread are using an outboard USB-C to Thunderbolt. Do I need that as an add-on or will I able to just use a cable?

This computer will be used strictly for my studio. No gaming or anything other than Cubase 10.5 hundreds of plugins. I don't think I'll require an outboard graphics card, as the Intel 4600 built-in graphics have been just fine for two 27" monitors. With that said, I'm certainly open to purchasing a graphics card, if necessary.

Thanks in advance!
Around here the 10850k is (350$) 50$ more than the 9900k for 300$. Its a good buy for the money, no diminishing returns.

Id also look into corsair RMx power supplies as they are often reccomended here and on respectable sites like Toms hardware and Andantech.
Old 8th March 2021
  #13545
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Ok... sketching out new machine i9 10900k
Windows 10

I don’t need thunderbolt and have always been partial to msi mobos...

Want to load up with 128g of ram... will probably use system gpu

What mobo should I be looking at you guys? My head is spinning like a MF
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13546
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Ok... sketching out new machine i9 10900k
Windows 10

I don’t need thunderbolt and have always been partial to msi mobos...

Want to load up with 128g of ram... will probably use system gpu

What mobo should I be looking at you guys? My head is spinning like a MF
One of the points of getting Thunderbolt is to know you are at least future proof. If you don't want the added cost of TB now you can always opt for a motherboard with TB header now and add a TB card later.

The only MSI MB I found that fit the bill was the MSI MPG M490 Gaming Edge WiFi but it had its limitation.

In the end I went with the GigaByte Z490 Vision D and I'm very happy with that choice.
Old 8th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13547
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Ok... sketching out new machine i9 10900k
Windows 10

I don’t need thunderbolt and have always been partial to msi mobos...

Want to load up with 128g of ram... will probably use system gpu

What mobo should I be looking at you guys? My head is spinning like a MF
Have you priced out the 10850k??

GB vision D is a solid option. Asrock Taichi has good connectivity.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13548
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle P. Gushue ➡️
Have you priced out the 10850k??

GB vision D is a solid option. Asrock Taichi has good connectivity.
That’s interesting... thx
Old 9th March 2021
  #13549
Here for the gear
 
Thinking about swapping out my motherboard/PSU/chassis due to some USB ground loop type issues that have been driving me crazy. The tl;dr is that if I connect my AxeFx II to my PC over USB (otherwise isolated via an ADC through ADAT) I get 'coil whine' noise that comes through everything else that is connected to that ADC even if the AxeFx is powered off.

I don't usually have it connected over USB so its not a constant issue but it can obviously be a pain when it is. I can touch the outer housing of USB ports, I/O shield and metal brackets of PCI cards with the USB cable connector and hear the noise start, so its definitely a grounding problem.

Currently have:
- ASRock Fatality X470 Gaming K4 (came as a combo deal with my CPU, wouldn't have been my pick anyway)
- 3800x
- EVGA Supernova G2 850w psu
- Cooler Master 932 Haf Advance chassis

I think its a combination of the PSU + Mobo that cause the problem. I can rip everything out of the case but the mobo and an NVMe and the noise is still there and gets worse depending on what the CPU is doing (although if I max out the CPU with a stress test, the noise is actually more consistent/less noticeable vs. changing in volume and frequency). I can actually hear the coil whine from the GPU/VRMs from the machine and they correlate to the noise I hear in my gear so its definitely in relation to voltage changes on the machine.

Any recommendations on X470/X570 motherboards and PSUs that may not be as noisy? Considering a chassis swap too if anyone has any thoughts on those.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13550
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallsohard ➡️
Thinking about swapping out my motherboard/PSU/chassis due to some USB ground loop type issues that have been driving me crazy. The tl;dr is that if I connect my AxeFx II to my PC over USB (otherwise isolated via an ADC through ADAT) I get 'coil whine' noise that comes through everything else that is connected to that ADC even if the AxeFx is powered off.

I don't usually have it connected over USB so its not a constant issue but it can obviously be a pain when it is. I can touch the outer housing of USB ports, I/O shield and metal brackets of PCI cards with the USB cable connector and hear the noise start, so its definitely a grounding problem.

Currently have:
- ASRock Fatality X470 Gaming K4 (came as a combo deal with my CPU, wouldn't have been my pick anyway)
- 3800x
- EVGA Supernova G2 850w psu
- Cooler Master 932 Haf Advance chassis

I think its a combination of the PSU + Mobo that cause the problem. I can rip everything out of the case but the mobo and an NVMe and the noise is still there and gets worse depending on what the CPU is doing (although if I max out the CPU with a stress test, the noise is actually more consistent/less noticeable vs. changing in volume and frequency). I can actually hear the coil whine from the GPU/VRMs from the machine and they correlate to the noise I hear in my gear so its definitely in relation to voltage changes on the machine.

Any recommendations on X470/X570 motherboards and PSUs that may not be as noisy? Considering a chassis swap too if anyone has any thoughts on those.
Sounds like a motherboard issue (grounding issue). I recommend Gigabyte B550 VISION D or Gigabyte B550 VISION D-P. Don't blame me if it's the CPU, GPU, PSU or audio device I have also read comments about strange USB compatible issues on AMD systems. Could be specific to AsRock boards I don't know. As a rule of thumb I would recommend people to stay within the brand of ASUS or Gigabyte when building sensitive things like audio production pc's. Maybe it's just me but I don't trust MSI and AsRock as much for motherboards.
Old 9th March 2021
  #13551
Lives for gear
 
ponzi's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I imagine gaming involves a lot of loud noises, so the mobo works for those folks, but not us.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13552
Lives for gear
 
Kyle P. Gushue's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thallsohard ➡️
Thinking about swapping out my motherboard/PSU/chassis due to some USB ground loop type issues that have been driving me crazy. The tl;dr is that if I connect my AxeFx II to my PC over USB (otherwise isolated via an ADC through ADAT) I get 'coil whine' noise that comes through everything else that is connected to that ADC even if the AxeFx is powered off.

I don't usually have it connected over USB so its not a constant issue but it can obviously be a pain when it is. I can touch the outer housing of USB ports, I/O shield and metal brackets of PCI cards with the USB cable connector and hear the noise start, so its definitely a grounding problem.

Currently have:
- ASRock Fatality X470 Gaming K4 (came as a combo deal with my CPU, wouldn't have been my pick anyway)
- 3800x
- EVGA Supernova G2 850w psu
- Cooler Master 932 Haf Advance chassis

I think its a combination of the PSU + Mobo that cause the problem. I can rip everything out of the case but the mobo and an NVMe and the noise is still there and gets worse depending on what the CPU is doing (although if I max out the CPU with a stress test, the noise is actually more consistent/less noticeable vs. changing in volume and frequency). I can actually hear the coil whine from the GPU/VRMs from the machine and they correlate to the noise I hear in my gear so its definitely in relation to voltage changes on the machine.

Any recommendations on X470/X570 motherboards and PSUs that may not be as noisy? Considering a chassis swap too if anyone has any thoughts on those.
They make isolation adapters for usb to solve this issue. My tech buddy (pro gear designer) uses one on his mobile rig, i can get the make/ model if your interested.

Have you tried every usb port?

There's many users of AsRock boards they are fine in general. As with anything in the custom pc market things may vary model to model. I'm pretty sure there are several people using the gaming 4 without issues, if i recall from the ryzen/uad thread. It may be worth RMA'ing the board before spending money on anything new to replace it.

The corsair RMx line of PSU have been used with no issues on quite a few builds. Asrock gaming, steel legend, Taichi, creator have all had sucessful builds, so has the GB vision D, tho there is now an updated version available. There are others too but those are tried and true.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13553
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Does anyone have 10th gen intel here yet?

I think it would be interesting to do a bit of a shootout...just sort of a PSA here, but I don't think people are aware yet of how good zen 3 is for audio.

For instance compared to 9th gen intel, on a 7980xe I can run 1 instance of Diva with the default preset armed at 44.1k/128 samples and play all voices. One the 5950x, I can run 5 instances armed at 44.1k/16 samples. I can also run one instance armed on the 5950x at 192k/16 samples!

In real world, 44.1/128 was my daily driver on the 7980xe, on the 5950x that's changed to 96k/64.

Intel may have also made a quantum leap like that, but if it's just the usual 10-15% increase between intel generations, it's not going to be anything close to zen 3.

To me, it would be super cool if intel had also made this giant of a leap in audio performance- but I want to mention at least that this level of audio performance does not scale AT ALL to geekbench etc. Something AMD did is making these processors lose A LOT less horsepower when you drop the buffer sizes.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13554
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
A lot of us are running 10th gen Intel setups, myself included. The CPUs have been out since April 2020 and there has been a dramatic reduction in prices fairly recently.

I can't really speak to the comparisons versus AMD. But pricing, availability and reliability all played a role in my decision to go with Intel. That 5950x costs a LOT more than a Intel 10850K. You'll also have to have a graphics card and probably more expensive cooling.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13555
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evileye0702 ➡️
A lot of us are running 10th gen Intel setups, myself included. The CPUs have been out since April 2020 and there has been a dramatic reduction in prices fairly recently.

I can't really speak to the comparisons versus AMD. But pricing, availability and reliability all played a role in my decision to go with Intel. That 5950x costs a LOT more than a Intel 10850K. You'll also have to have a graphics card and probably more expensive cooling.
That's a fair point, but I think a better rival to the 10850k would be the 5600x and a cheap video card. The 5600x is about half the TDP of the 10850k- so I don't think heat is an issue...the smaller litho for the TSMC chips means generally better thermals.

Would you be willing to do some single core tests on various buffer sizes to get a reasonably relevent daw benchmark comparison? If so, what daws are you running?

The biggest thing to me is it's worth pointing out that comparing 7980xe vs m1 vs 5950x here side by side- it needs to be considered that geekbench etc is completely useless at this stage for audio and particularly low buffer audio.

At low buffers, single core, in practical use the 5950x is easily in the range of double the capability in single core as an m1 MBP, but GB5 shows the m1 to be slightly ahead in single core. Double is a big difference here because the 9th gen intel is roughly half the performance of the m1 in single core.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13556
Lives for gear
 
daskeladden's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
That's a fair point, but I think a better rival to the 10850k would be the 5600x and a cheap video card. The 5600x is about half the TDP of the 10850k- so I don't think heat is an issue...the smaller litho for the TSMC chips means generally better thermals.

Would you be willing to do some single core tests on various buffer sizes to get a reasonably relevent daw benchmark comparison? If so, what daws are you running?

The biggest thing to me is it's worth pointing out that comparing 7980xe vs m1 vs 5950x here side by side- it needs to be considered that geekbench etc is completely useless at this stage for audio and particularly low buffer audio.

At low buffers, single core, in practical use the 5950x is easily in the range of double the capability in single core as an m1 MBP, but GB5 shows the m1 to be slightly ahead in single core. Double is a big difference here because the 9th gen intel is roughly half the performance of the m1 in single core.
If you want to compare anything from Intel against the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x wouldn't it be more natural to compare it to Intel Core i9-10980XE (or Intel Core i9-10940X)?
If I for example had these two choices for an audio production pc:
Intel Core i9-10980XE + Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
or
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + Gigabyte B550 VISION DP

I think maybe I had picked the Intel system, but I'm not sure. As to the crappy M1 chip....never.
Old 9th March 2021
  #13557
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Does it make sense to go with something like an i9 10900k and 128g ram or build a system around an Intel “server” chip with more cores and more RAM?

What would be a bigger leap in performance?

I’m running a now ancient 4790k with 32g ram... RME madi fx pci e card that will go into the new rig

The sample libraries I use are mostly superior drummer, keyscape... never really use the big synth ones.

Daw is atudio one 5 pro... window 10 64
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13558
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
If you want to compare anything from Intel against the AMD Ryzen 9 5950x wouldn't it be more natural to compare it to Intel Core i9-10980XE (or Intel Core i9-10940X)?
If I for example had these two choices for an audio production pc:
Intel Core i9-10980XE + Gigabyte X299X DESIGNARE 10G
or
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X + Gigabyte B550 VISION DP

I think maybe I had picked the Intel system, but I'm not sure. As to the crappy M1 chip....never.
Yeah I agree, and I have 3 7980xe's that were overclocked. All reports are that 7980xe, 9980xe and 10980xe are about the same.

The 5950x + b550 vision d ABSOLTULEY DISTROYS the 7980xe. At 32 samples it's at least 4 times more capable than the 7980xe.


Words can't even really express how much better the AMD is.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13559
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood ➡️
Does it make sense to go with something like an i9 10900k and 128g ram or build a system around an Intel “server” chip with more cores and more RAM?

What would be a bigger leap in performance?

I’m running a now ancient 4790k with 32g ram... RME madi fx pci e card that will go into the new rig

The sample libraries I use are mostly superior drummer, keyscape... never really use the big synth ones.

Daw is atudio one 5 pro... window 10 64

With intel, the bigger HEDT chips or XEONS have the benefit being able to playback more tracks in a huge session, but come at the cost of decreased ability to monitor/record in a big session at a low buffer. This is especially true with ZLM in Studio One.

Any reason not to consider the new AMD stuff? I have 7980xe (which is basically the same as 10980xe), 3 of them that I'm taking offline because the 5950x is better in every possible way.

Only challenge with zen 3 is if you have a lot of PCIe devices. TB3 works great though.
Old 9th March 2021 | Show parent
  #13560
Lives for gear
 
bgood's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
With intel, the bigger HEDT chips or XEONS have the benefit being able to playback more tracks in a huge session, but come at the cost of decreased ability to monitor/record in a big session at a low buffer. This is especially true with ZLM in Studio One.

Any reason not to consider the new AMD stuff? I have 7980xe (which is basically the same as 10980xe), 3 of them that I'm taking offline because the 5950x is better in every possible way.

Only challenge with zen 3 is if you have a lot of PCIe devices. TB3 works great though.
Ahh... the zlm yes... that mf lol

Tb3 isn’t an issue for me... I have no tb gear... although, I suppose it’s nice to have? Dunno

I’ve always been Intel... also, I have a bunch of UAD boxes and I’ve heard weird tales of amd UAD issues...
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 619152
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 55 views: 34080
Avatar for IM WHO YOU THINK
IM WHO YOU THINK 13th October 2020
replies: 98 views: 40588
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 1296 views: 185754
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump