The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The "today we build our studio pc" thread
Old 25th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg ➡️
Yeah, true, but there have never been interruptions in the supply chain like what we're seeing right now....
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the issues with the supply chain? I presume Covid related?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmuse ➡️
Excuse my ignorance, but what are the issues with the supply chain? I presume Covid related?
Motherboard, AMD CPU, and graphic card shortages primarily. COVID is a main contributor, but there's a lot more to it than that. It's easily researched.

It's possible the components you're interested in don't seem hard to get; well then, consider yourself very lucky!

Last edited by troggg; 25th February 2021 at 11:25 PM..
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
try Prime95 and Cinebench
Here is the result on cinebench R23 :
16618 pts ( multi core )

I notice that the cpu fan control in bios it set to PWM , memory set to 3400 MHz .

Benchmark result : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40284106
Gear Head
Quote:
AMD's ascension to chip making supremacy.
On userbenchmark, intel is actually ahead, fwiw.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkTopic7028 ➡️
On userbenchmark.com, intel is ahead.
They're also ahead in availability, which tells you something, too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidmuse ➡️
It's a bit of a perfect storm with many factors.

Here's one story about it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...shortage-2021/

One of the industries really hit by this has been automotive.

Pete
Old 26th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinofo ➡️
Here is the result on cinebench R23 :
16618 pts ( multi core )

I notice that the cpu fan control in bios it set to PWM , memory set to 3400 MHz .

Benchmark result : https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40284106
Looks good. Does the CPU fans spin very fast (noisy) on start up off Window and when opening a app? I had to manually control the CPU fans in bios. Maybe you don't have to do it cause you have another CPU cooler than me.
By the way have you set the MHz on your memory down from 3600 MHz to 3400 MHz in bios? Have you tried having it on 3600 MHz?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by daskeladden ➡️
Looks good. Does the CPU fans spin very fast (noisy) on start up off Window and when opening a app? I had to manually control the CPU fans in bios. Maybe you don't have to do it cause you have another CPU cooler than me.
By the way have you set the MHz on your memory down from 3600 MHz to 3400 MHz in bios? Have you tried having it on 3600 MHz?
Yup , when i've build the pc 3 week ago , CPU fan ramp up Always when a opening a app like Twitch or
Binance , but After i set the fan speed graph on the Cpu fan in bios to = manually , everything running smooth (I followed your advice on a previous post ) 👍

Regarding the memory, the 3600 Mhz only worked after I made the update (f7), but after 2 weeks of use I noticed instability on windows (bug, taskbar icons disappeared ...) and I changed to 3400 mhz, and since then everything is back to normal
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
@ daskeladden , @ Pictus any free software do you recommand for extrême pc stress ? Thanks ������
prime95/mprime and SuperPi.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I would consider 27" 5K for 218ppi but the Apple LG 5K does not give 5K with PC.
Why not?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
300-500ppi phone and laptop displays have spoiled me. I just want my external monitor to match my other screens.

Recently went from 23.8" QHD (123ppi) to 27" 4K (163ppi) and I much appreciate the 32% sharpness boost. Only cost me $250 net.

24" 4K is 181ppi but the only options are 2017 model LGs with oversize bezels.

I would consider 27" 5K for 218ppi but the Apple LG 5K does not give 5K with PC.

8K at 32" is 275ppi. But alas I did not buy Bitcoin at $10 so that ain't happening just yet.
The Apple/LG display can be used with Windows 10 as long as you have Thunderbolt and a graphics card that can route DisplayPort output through the Thunderbolt connection. It's a bit iffy on the display controls (brightness), however.

A friend of mine wrote this up a few years back:

https://medium.com/@ambroselittle/ru...0-e8b58cb9bf43

Apparently it'll also work with Displayport over USB-C, so cards like the nvidia RTX 2080 super I have should be able to drive it.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ws-pc.2229065/

I'd pick up that monitor to try it out, but I use a 40" 4k display here at 100%. I'd love to run it at 200% or something to get smoother text, but those displays just aren't out en masse right now.

Pete
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychlist1972 ➡️
A friend of mine wrote this up a few years back:

https://medium.com/@ambroselittle/ru...0-e8b58cb9bf43
Ha, that writeup was actually one of my sources on this.

At the bottom, he says: "P.S. You’ll note in the settings screenshot above that it is not running at 5K on Windows but rather 4K."

and

"UPDATE 13 March 2018: Sadly, a recent update (either Windows or latest LG monitor firmware) has rendered the brightness control non-functional on Windows... So, I’m gonna have to give up on running this on Windows. YMMV."

Probably for the best, 4K at 27" is fine a few feet back from the screen, and $300-400 is enough for a productivity display.

I do wish someone would make glossy monitors again.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Motherboard, AMD CPU, and graphic card shortages primarily. COVID is a main contributor, but there's a lot more to it than that. It's easily researched.

It's possible the components you're interested in don't seem hard to get; well then, consider yourself very lucky!
On the contrary, it is affecting me. Hence my earlier query as to why I can't get any boards that were top of my list. Now I have the answer
Old 28th February 2021
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
It's time to build a new pc for me. My current build has run stable for more than seven years. But performance-wise it is showing its age.

I am looking to build a pc that should last me for years. Ideally, it should also be quiet. So here is what I have:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F7fwZZ

Would these parts work together? Any incompatibilities? Better choices for certain parts? The case and the power supply are parts from my current build. If possible I would reuse them in my new build. For storage I have 5 SSDs. I would use them as well for my new build.

The graphics card is solid mid tier I think. I'll also use the pc for occasional gaming.

Finally, will the be quiet cooler enough, or do I absolutely need water cooling? I don't plan to overclock at the moment.

Thank you for any help with this.
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how do you guys find out at which point more ram would improve the overall performance?
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkeys ➡️
It's time to build a new pc for me. My current build has run stable for more than seven years. But performance-wise it is showing its age.

I am looking to build a pc that should last me for years. Ideally, it should also be quiet. So here is what I have:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F7fwZZ

Would these parts work together? Any incompatibilities? Better choices for certain parts? The case and the power supply are parts from my current build. If possible I would reuse them in my new build. For storage I have 5 SSDs. I would use them as well for my new build.

The graphics card is solid mid tier I think. I'll also use the pc for occasional gaming.

Finally, will the be quiet cooler enough, or do I absolutely need water cooling? I don't plan to overclock at the moment.

Thank you for any help with this.
Radeon RX 5700 XT ? where where !??
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Radeon RX 5700 XT ? where where !??
Not available currently to my knowledge. Neither can I get hold of a 5950x right now. So it will be a month or two before I can build this machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 ➡️
how do you guys find out at which point more ram would improve the overall performance?
Monitor your resources and you know...
Old 2nd March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi!

I've built my new PC last week:

PSU: CoolerMaster 700w Silent Pro
MB: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master
CPU: Intel i7-10700KF
COOLER: Corsair H100 (8 years old)
RAM: GSkill 2x16 GB 3200 MHz CL14
GPU: Radeon RX550

everything runs fine, except for the Corsair liquid cooler H100...
it touches the VRM on the motherboard because there's not enough distance in my case (Fractal Desing R 4 from 8 years ago).

AND I've noticed that I can clearly hear water noise (never heard before...)
I'm scared it could spill cooling liquid all over the motherboard...

Which air solution could be the best?
Comparable in terms of cooling with the Corsair H100 (or better)?

Thank you!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHawk ➡️
Hi!

PSU: CoolerMaster 700w
(don't remember wich one...something from 8 years ago)

it touches the vrm on the motherboard because there's not enough distance in my case (Fractal desing from 8 years ago).

Noctua NH-D15. Only things you have to measured is if 16.5 centimeter is too high for your 8 year pc case.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHawk ➡️
Hi!

PSU: CoolerMaster 700w Silent Pro

it touches the VRM on the motherboard because there's not enough distance in my case (Fractal Desing R 4 from 8 years ago).

Thank you!!
The Noctua d15s with an additional fan is a top notch option for air coolers. It has better clearance for Ram and Graphics cards than the D15.
Here for the gear

New PC

Hello everyone !

I planing to build me a new pc for my DAW after 10 years.

im a happy RME ff800 user over an TI fw pci adapter and im aware that firewire is old already.

Im using my pc mainly for DAW recording, mixing and mastering...not a heavy sample instruments user, mostly plugin heavy and up to 15vst synths on a project.

Im using Studio one 5 as my daw of choice

Im planing to change my interface in the future but in the moment i only can afford a new pc.

I want to go as futureproof as i can so im going for a gigabyte b550 vision d with tb3. b550 because it is fanless and i read it is pretty stabile with tb3 and audio interfaces.

The question is , what are the chances that my ff800 with firewire adapter is going to work on this build ?
I use Win10 pro now, legacy drivers installed and all works.

here are the spces of the new build, please send suggestions where to save money and am i going overkill with the cpu?

MBO: GIGABYTE B550 VISION D (REV. 1.0)
CPU: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X w cooler
RAM: 32GB TEAM GROUP TEAM ELITE DDR4 3200MHZ
GPU: Gigabyte r9 380x 4gb (old gpu)
SSD: SAMSUNG 500GB 970 EVO PLUS M.2 PCIE
CASE: BE QUIET! PURE BASE 500
PSU: GIGABYTE GP-P750GM 80+ GOLD MODULAR
DEA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiladin ➡️
Hello everyone !

The question is , what are the chances that my ff800 with firewire adapter is going to work on this build ?
I think the chances of the FF800 working are excellent, as long as you have a reliable TI PCI card. My PCIe Card to connect the RME FF800:

SYBA Low Profile PCI-Express 1394B/A Firewire Card Model SD-PEX30009

Amazon and New Egg have them although price and shipping time vary greatly. Originaly they were about $40. Same card has been working great for 9 years in my 2011 DAW build.

This one has worked great in 3 different DAW builds. I think the *key though is making sure it has the "Texas Instruments" chipset. I've noticed the descriptions don't always indicate that. However, that specific card has worked great for me in 2 Intel i7 builds, and now my latest AMD 3950X Asrock X570 Creator Motherboard.

Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello everyone !

im a happy RME ff800 user over an TI fw pci adapter and im aware that firewire is old already.

Im using my pc mainly for DAW recording, mixing and mastering...not a heavy sample instruments user, mostly plugin heavy and up to 15vst synths on a project.

Im planing to change my interface in the future but in the moment i only can afford a new pc.

I want to go as futureproof as i can so im going for a gigabyte b550 vision d with tb3. b550 because it is fanless and i read it is pretty stabile with tb3 and audio interfaces.

here are the spces of the new build, please send suggestions where to save money and am i going overkill with the cpu?

I have built a similar setup with the same CPU.
It's not overkill,it's heaven.

Can run plasmonic which is very heavy on CPU with 23 instances every instance is playing 16 notes at once.
I deactivated the CPU meter in cubase. Doesn't make sense anymore 🤣
Here for the gear

Thanks for the reply !

My TI PCI fw card (dont know the model because its running) have worked flawlessly last 6 years. im only concerned that it is too old maybe ?

Im happy to hear good news regarding the interface because a personaly think the ff800 is still relevant i/o wise and drivers are verry stable.

i personaly dont need a new interface, only intresting thing in new interfaces is the dsp power for recording with eq,comp and reverb but i can live without it because i assume the new cpu is strong enough to run in lower latency so i dont need direct monitoring.

rme still has god drivers and the latency is acceptable.

What about the MBO ?

Is the Vision D a good match for the ryzen 9 ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the reply !

My TI PCI fw card (dont know the model because its running) have worked flawlessly last 6 years. im only concerned that it is too old maybe ?

Im happy to hear good news regarding the interface because a personaly think the ff800 is still relevant i/o wise and drivers are verry stable.

i personaly dont need a new interface, only intresting thing in new interfaces is the dsp power for recording with eq,comp and reverb but i can live without it because i assume the new cpu is strong enough to run in lower latency so i dont need direct monitoring.

rme still has god drivers and the latency is acceptable.

What about the MBO ?

Is the Vision D a good match for the ryzen 9 ?
Running an old firewire pci card on a new AMD system (Windows 10) could cause problems. Always risky to introduce old hardware on a new system. If you get blue screens or the system behave strange the first thing you should pull from your system is that old pci card. If your firewire pci card has the old pci slot you have to buy an PCI to PCI Express Adapter Card. Even though I will recommend buying a newer pcie firewire card.

As for CPU the 5000 series is better.

By the way an old firewire audio interface will always be the bottleneck for latency on a new system. The asio drivers has probably stopped being supported. That being said you can always update with an new thunderbolt interface in the future. Since thunderbolt is officially supported on Vision D (AMD system) I guess you will be safe.
Here for the gear

Yes im aware of that risk with my old fw PCIe card, but in the moment i can aford to get a new one easier than a new interface.

Here in Croatia the 5000series is to expensive and i settled with the 3900x as a bang for buck option in the moment.

after 15 years RME is still doing driver and firmware updates on the ff800, until now it is still supported .
Old 2nd March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't no anything about mbs.

I got the Asus prime b550mk and the shnizzle works.

Ok only need usb.
Have the Steinberg ur22c. It has internal DSP for no latency realtime monitoring and effects.

But I am totally happy with the computer.
I have set it to 8.5ms which is totally fine for my playing. It does its 23 instances trick with that latency..

And it's quiet after having the system app running one time and calibrating the fans.

I have be quiet psu and case.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello everyone !

Looks good overall. The gigabyte PSU has me a bit concerned. The corsair RMx (2018) is a faithful no nonsense psu. For ultra budget a corsair CX series will work.

Ive just not seen enough about gigabyte psu to be confident in them, and psu is very important, especially if your planning in keeping the computer more than a couple years.
Here for the gear

Good to know you are happy with the setup.

also can i ask what the minimum for the psu ?
📝 Reply