The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD Studer a800
Old 19th November 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
UAD Studer a800

Anyone tried it yet? I was given the chance to test it at my local distribution company, but that would mean having to sit through some boring promo lectures...dfegad

I am intrigued though...
Old 19th November 2010
Gax
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
???? UAD A800? Is this some joke? Right?
cant find anything on web, nor on official website.
Old 19th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
oooohhhh... someone's said too much!!!
Old 19th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bring it on!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sweetbabyjesusassballs, seriously?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.beck ➡️
Sweetbabyjesusassballs, seriously?
well the partnership was announced a while back, so why not?

i for one, welcome our new tape sim masters.

Gax
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech ➡️
well the partnership was announced a while back, so why not?

i for one, welcome our new tape sim masters.

Yeah, they did announce reincarnation of vintage lexicons, and tape machines, few times.
NAMM 2010: Universal Audio to produce Lexicon, Studer, dbx and AKG plug-ins | MusicRadar.com

hope its fully replicated A800, not just tape saturation, but complete characteristics of a machine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can't wait to join the UAD family.... something tells me that with the recent pace/iLok mess... and the obvious teething that will happen with iLok2 that the UAD2 system will just get stronger and stronger.

I would LOVE to see a UAD2 card that is mainly used to run some kind of tape saturation and/or console emulation on.... say.... 48 tracks..., and that would be it's main purpose. It would be sold with said plugins already included and would guarantee you the ability to run these plugs on the majority of your tracks... and you could just buy 2 if you wanted more instances. It would be a normal UAD2 card in that you could run any of their plugs, but...., again.... it's main selling point would be to run all your tracks through some tape and/or console emulation. Obviously the plugs would also be available for purchase on their own as well.

It would be Kind of like what they did with the Nevana card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax
hope its fully replicated A800, not just tape saturation, but complete characteristics of a machine.
+1
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Apparently some people got an e-mail invitation in Danish from cyberfarm.dk regarding a seminar from UA, Kom til UA workshop på Farmen d. 14/12 | Sidste Nyt

The thing is, the website has now changed the original statement and removed one important line (translated):

Quote:
Over 40,000 users worldwide have already discovered the benefits of Universal Audio's integrated solution plug-in/DSP UAD.
I samarbejde med Lydmaskinen arrangerer vi nu en workshop-aften omkring Universal Audio med fokus på UAD-2. In collaboration with sound machine we arrange now a workshop tonight about Universal Audio focusing on UAD-2.
På programmet står bl.a.: On the program is stated:
En kort introduktion til Universal Audio's 2 produktlinjer: High-end studioprocessorer med historiske rødder og DSP-kort med tilhørende plug-ins. A brief introduction to Universal Audio's 2 product lines: High-end studio processors with historical roots and DSP card with an appropriate plug-ins.
Hvordan bruger du UAD-2 sammen med Logic Pro, Nuendo og Pro Tools – og hvad er fordelene? How do you use UAD-2 with Logic Pro, Nuendo and Pro Tools - and what are the benefits? Demonstration og lyttetest. Demonstration and listening tests.
Shootout: Sammenligning mellem UAD-2 emuleringer (f.eks. 1176) og konkurrenterne - og den originale hardware! Shootout: Comparison between UAD-2 emulations (eg. 1176) and competitors - and the original hardware!
Nyt UAD-2 Plug-in: Studer A800 New UAD-2 plug-in: Studer A800
Nyt Universal Audio-produkt: 4-710D mic preamp/AD konverter New Universal Audio product: 4-710D mic preamp / AD converter
Helt specielle deals på UAD-2 kort til de tilstedeværende, der køber/bestiller på dagen! Special deals on UAD-2 cards for those present who buy / order of the day!
Mød Holger Lagerfeldt, Lydmaskinens stifter og over-guru! Meet Holger Lagerfeldt, sound machine and founder of Guru!
Vel mødt til UA Workshop på Farmen, Hejrevej 37, 2400 København NV Well met to UA Workshop on the farm, Hejrevej 37, 2400 Copenhagen NV
Tirsdag d. 14/12 kl. Tuesday 14/12 pm. 16-19 16-19
So I guess that cat is out of the bag. Studer A800 emulation is the next UAD plug-in! I imagine it will be officially announced before the end of November.
Old 20th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not just Studer, apparently some other famous tape machines are in the works as well.
Old 1st December 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Looks like it's almost out:
https://gearspace.com/board/new-prod...uder-tape.html
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
It's official! Studer A800 it is!

Universal Audio | Analog and Digital Audio Products and Plug-Ins

hehhehheh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
haha that looks like a toy...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Studer is great news. However, personally I'm more excited about the 64bit drivers! We can finally run 64bit native!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFMG ➡️
The Studer is great news. However, personally I'm more excited about the 64bit drivers! We can finally run 64bit native!!!
Yeah, that is awesome. Being a Cubase 5 user, I've always wanted as much of my system to be 64bit. I'm glad UA is on board. Only thing is I'm still on XP, which is at most 32bit as I understand. Kinda nervous to run Vista or 7 and possibly lose compatibility with some of my virtual instruments that I find so valuable.
Old 2nd December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This is going to be interesting.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I thought I heard something about Studer.

Earlier today I was thinking "maybe they're gonna put out a tape emulation....."

I then went on their site 20 minutes ago and it was there...true story.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
(The following is written by someone who uses UAD products everyday, does not own a tape machine, and does not expect to ever be able to own a Studer.)

I have to say this is distressing to me. I see a fundamental flaw in the movement towards digital emulations of everything in the name of convenience and economy. This is not a Studer A800, no matter how close it may sound under specific and controlled circumstances. Of course I recognize that few people, if anyone, would argue against that point. But the marketing surrounding this, and even the very existence of this product, is a step towards that mentality. I worry that "close enough" or "convincing" or any other excuses made on behalf of emulations are moving things away from what should be an industry concerned with fidelity.

Engineering is not something everyone can do. It is not something that everyone can learn. The technology used in many parts of the process is not easy for everyone to understand nor is it financially accessible to the masses. I'm not sure that's a good thing and I certainly don't agree with elitism or preventing art from seeing the light of day because of something as worthless as equipment. But it does concern me that this relatively recent movement towards emulations and simplicity may contribute to the extinction of the very equipment being emulated.

I know no one is making outright claims that this should replace tape machines or that it is the same thing. But the reasons I see for using a tape machine extend beyond the sonic attributes.

Take that for what it is, I'm not trying to make a real point for or against. Just voicing my feelings of unease.

Oh, and it would be really great if UA would level match the before and afters in all of their promo videos. I know, I know, I must be high .
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They're selling a lie. It's a fantasy. They are just sucking the money out of young people - taking the "emotional purchase" to a whole new and sick level. But this is what most pro audio is about today and it is very unfair to single out UA. It just that this thing really shines a light on all this ugliness.

I'm sorry to be so negative when most of you here are very pumped about this. Maybe one day you'll see things differently.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
kats, can you explain what you mean? In what way are they selling a lie?

I, too, wish the volume was matched between bypassed and not in the demo video.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
try the demo
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodeath ➡️
kats, can you explain what you mean? In what way are they selling a lie?

In as little words as possible ( as I regret posting the original because nothing good will come of it), if you ask a professional engineer who records to tape for a living why - he will tell you that it is not what it adds to the sound but rather what it doesn't take away. In other words, the single biggest attribute to a Studer 800 is that the signal has not been converted to digital.

So the conceptual irony of this plug in goes beyond words. Basically they're probably modeling the flaws of tape recording without the end user being able to realize the benefits. It is ridiculous. And IMO shows how sick this industry has become.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kats ➡️
They're selling a lie. It's a fantasy.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

It's just a tool. You don't HAVE to use it.

Tape recording has been dying for quite some time now, independent of and long before decent tape emulations were available.

This negative sentiment, man, all I have to say is get over it.

Life is GOOD! thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If it makes you feel better man, go ahead and play the Studer 800 game.heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
if you ask a professional engineer who records to tape for a living why - he will tell you that it is not what it adds to the sound but rather what it doesn't take away. In other words, the single biggest attribute to a Studer 800 is that the signal has not been converted to digital.
Well, some of them would say that. Others, like Tchad Blake, have discarded tape and nearly all their analog gear because they no longer find that way of working compelling or better-sounding.

In other words, it's a subjective thing.

That being said, I do see your point --- and it is a good point. For the few professional engineers in 2010 who work without any conversion to digital, I imagine they're willfully trying to avoid it.

But your the seething "IT'S A LIE!" response is hyperbolic and unduly hysterical.

These are just different tools and ways of getting at different results.

If you see the UA Studer thing merely as another way of accessing the idea of saturation, you'll start to relax.

...one would hope...

- c
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
Well, some of them would say that. Others, like Tchad Blake, have discarded tape and nearly all their analog gear because they no longer find that way of working compelling or better-sounding.

In other words, it's a subjective thing.

- c
No.

I said if you ask professionals who record to tape why. I didn't say if you ask professionals who do not record to tape why.

In other words, your name dropping is nonsensical.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No.

I said if you ask professionals who record to tape why. I didn't say if you ask professionals who do not record to tape why.

In other words, your name dropping is nonsensical.
You're so right, Tchad Blake's wikipedia is namedropping. You don't get out much.

Listen, my point is that there's no fraud or "lie" here. It's just absurd.

How many professional engineers do you know who record exclusively to tape and never use digital in 2010? It happens, yes. But it's just not that common.

Everyone that I know* who is using tape is using it as a part of a process that involves digital at some point in the production.

- c

*p.s. If I mentioned actual names here, I would really be namedropping. Just so we're clear on common social usage of that word.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hahahaha...it actually spins?!?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya ➡️
How many professional engineers do you know who record exclusively to tape and never use digital in 2010? It happens, yes. But it's just not that common.
Well I for one never thought something wasn't a good idea just because most people weren't doing it.
Closed