The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pro tools 9 suck?
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Am I the only one with a ff800, 8 core Mac pro, 7200 rpm, dedicated internal audio 64mb cache hard drive, 2gigs of ram, optimized for audio recording computer settings and can't get PT9 to be dependable and stable with just 4-5 virtual instruments playing?????????

Keep getting the error message about setting buffer settings higher.

Surely I am not the only one experiencing this??

Virtual instruments used were:
Ivory piano
Ezdrumner
Kontakt 4
Some Digidesign synth?
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might want to add ram - 2GB is a bit low for a resource-hungary app.
Old 14th November 2010
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
First thing. Dedicate more cores to PT.

Second thing. 2Gb ram isn't much! So Get more ram. I mean I have a old Macbook with 4Gb. It doesn't hiccup much.

Third thing. Set a higher buffer size if you need to.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_asakawa
You might want to add ram - 2GB is a bit low for a resource-hungary app.
Okay but man 2 gigs for 3-4 VIs??? Works just fine in Logic.

Plus the error says "CPU" related issue. Would memory fall in that category?
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Know1
First thing. Dedicate more cores to PT.

Second thing. 2Gb ram isn't much! So Get more ram. I mean I have a old Macbook with 4Gb. It doesn't hiccup much.

Third thing. Set a higher buffer size if you need to.
I have done everything you suggested but bought more ram. Which I shall do quickly.

1024 buffers for a few instruments is ridiculous.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

I have 7 cores dedicated to PT 9
Old 14th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you have a nice setup that should zoom around your work....except for the lack of ram.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion
you have a nice setup that should zoom around your work....except for the lack of ram.
Well that's what I think too. Don't mind getting the ram but would it really cripple PT 9 that much??

I can mix 50-70 tracks in logic with the same amount of ram. Weird!
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
PT VI

Pro Tools has always been terrible with VI's compared to Logic Pro on the same computer. On our studio HD rig we can only run so many VI's and Pro Tools still is dodgy. Logic on the same computer can run circles around Pro tools,when it comes to VI's.

-Collin
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpulsar
Pro Tools has always been terrible with VI's compared to Logic Pro on the same computer. On our studio HD rig we can only run so many VI's and Pro Tools still is dodgy. Logic on the same computer can run circles around Pro tools,when it comes to VI's.

-Collin
Damn... Then why the big hype over PT then? I know, I know ....each DAW has it strength and weaknesses but this is disappointing.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm on pro tools 8, but I have absolutely no problem running that many virtual instruments on my 8 core w/6gb ram. You definitely shouldn't be having a problem running 3-4 VI's on your computer. The biggest difference is the ram though so I dont know maybe that it what's doing it.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWYF11
I'm on pro tools 8, but I have absolutely no problem running that many virtual instruments on my 8 core w/6gb ram....
Do you use DDR2 800 MHz ram? That is what mine is.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stresstour ➑️
Damn... Then why the big hype over PT then? I know, I know ....each DAW has it strength and weaknesses but this is disappointing.
The "hype" about PT has never been about Virtual Instruments and how many it can run.

PT will be a different program a year from now, as they have stated publicly many times, the RTAS engine in PT is being worked on. It's not a simple thing, but they are aware of it and it will not always be this inefficient. Many people print their VI's (offline bounce) in Logic and export them as audio and load them into PT for mixing or live (guitars) overdubs. It's way less involved than it sounds I do it a lot.

You can also help yourself by running the VI's in VE Ensemble, which will run in 64 bit to absolutely access all the RAM you have while PT is running in 32.

TH
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Do you use DDR2 800 MHz ram? That is what mine is.
DDR2 800 MHz RAM is OLD now. MacBook Pros from a year ago are clocking 1033 MHz and absolutely KILLING Logic Pro. Meaning - Pro Tools is having some sort of issue, or it is freakin' over-rated.

DAW this and DAW that, but every time someone pops out a multi-platinum with Logic people pretend it didn't happen.

Crap.

People on this site are still quoting multi-window editing in Logic, which has been dead before version 8. DAWs are not the key. The keys are your artists, your competence and your willingness to listen and not buy product to produce an artistic creation.

P.S. I love this forum and want to kiss you.

Last edited by Toy Robot; 14th November 2010 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: I am the bomb.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a 8 core with 8 gb and for big sessions it still gives me the cpu and buffer error messages. I've found Kontact 4 is sometimes my problem if I have several instruments loaded into it.
L.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
't mind getting the ram but would it really cripple PT 9 that much??
Yes! VI's take WAY more RAM than mixing does. Get more RAM and then properly test it. My phone has 2 GB RAM.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Kontakt 4 is a little "spiky" here too.
I'm using a 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quadcore (6GB) and tracking at 64 samples is impossible without the "ignore errors" setting checked. Even at 128 samples it's a PITA.

But the new feature in PT9 to create a "new track" from the output bus makes it a lot easier and faster to bounce instrument tracks.

EDIT: 1-2 instances of Kontakt work @64 samples, 3 is not possible without CPU errors.

Last edited by fizzler; 14th November 2010 at 11:56 AM.. Reason: corrected infos
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzler ➑️
Kontakt 4 is a little "spiky" here too.
I'm using a 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quadcore (6GB) and tracking at 64 samples is impossible without the "ignore errors" setting checked. Even at 128 samples it's a PITA.

But the new feature in PT9 to create a "new track" from the output bus makes it a lot easier and faster to bounce instrument tracks.
hmmm.... I just did a session last week and was using Kontakt 4 with the NY Piano library, buffer @ 64 and had no issues at all... and this was also while running about 30 other (audio) tracks.... by the end of the day there was about 40 tracks, still running Kontakt, a few Waves SSL and other misc. plugs... still @ 64.... and this was using a 2006 Mac Pro Quad 2.66Ghz + 3GB ram.

FWIW, this was using PT8 LE, but imagine (or should I say 'hope') that PT9 would give the same results, if not better. Definately looking forward to that 'new track' feature!!
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@Benmrx
You are right, I'll have to edit my post. It's not "impossible" @64 samples with only 1 or 2 Kontakt instances and heavy CPU spiking.
Just did another test with 2 instances (MM-Bass, NY Piano), but a 3rd instance will cause CPU errors.
I've no problems with audio tracks @64 samples

My PT settings are: 7 cores, 64 sampes, the other buffer settings are standard.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
@Benmrx
You are right, I'll have to edit my post. It's not "impossible" @64 samples with only 1 or 2 Kontakt instances and heavy CPU spiking.
Just did another test with 2 instances (MM-Bass, NY Piano), but a 3rd instance will cause CPU errors.
I've no problems with audio tracks @64 samples

My PT settings are: 7 cores, 64 sampes, the other buffer settings are standard.
Right on... yeah, there's another record I've been working on with TONS of Konakt, RMX, etc. patches and there's no going anywhere unless the buffer is @ 1024. Definately need more ram in my computer!! Just wanted to point out that things should be fine if you don't go too far. Also, out of curiousity are you using the 'Kontakt Memory Server'?? If not you should give it a try and you might get rid of those spikes, apparently it's not suggested you use it if you have less than 4GB of ram in your system, so I don't use it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT has always underperformed every other daw I tried in regard to stability.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx ➑️
Also, out of curiousity are you using the 'Kontakt Memory Server'?? If not you should give it a try and you might get rid of those spikes, apparently it's not suggested you use it if you have less than 4GB of ram in your system, so I don't use it.
Yes, I'm using the Memory Server.
Here is a Screenshot of only 1 Kontakt instance "NY Grand Piano" (20-25% RTAS CPU) kontakt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes, I'm using the Memory Server.
Here is a Screenshot of only 1 Kontakt instance "NY Grand Piano" (20-25% RTAS CPU) kontakt | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I'm going to double check tomorrow, but I didn't think it was that high... again.. I'm NOT using the memory server because I currently only have 3GB of ram.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx

Right on... yeah, there's another record I've been working on with TONS of Konakt, RMX, etc. patches and there's no going anywhere unless the buffer is @ 1024.
Well are you saying it is normal to have error messages with running buffers at 1024 and the only VIs I'm using is Ivory piano, Kontakt 4 running Scarbee Bass, the digi synth (the name escapes me) and ezdrummer??? That is not acceptable, if this is true.

Maybe I need to check the "ignore error messages" box and see what kind of performance I get.

Again don't mind getting some more ram but I don't think this will solve my problem.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Robot

DDR2 800 MHz RAM is OLD now. .
Well can I put faster ram in my computer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well are you saying it is normal to have error messages with running buffers at 1024 and the only VIs I'm using is Ivory piano, Kontakt 4 running Scarbee Bass, the digi synth (the name escapes me) and ezdrummer??? That is not acceptable, if this is true.

Maybe I need to check the "ignore error messages" box and see what kind of performance I get.

Again don't mind getting some more ram but I don't think this will solve my problem.
before you decide if its unacceptable, you need to consider that both ivory and scarbee bass are sample libraries played from within a soft sampler and both will use up a fair bit of ram. this is nothing to do with protools and simply to do with the size of the instrument and how it has been sampled. add to this any other plugins or VIs that you're running and you could easily hit 2 gig before you even consider protools own ram requirments.

as suggested the way around this is to bounce the VIs to audio and unload the VI.

i'd definitly upgrade your ram.

as far as the CPU error at 1024 goes, it could be 1 of many many things. we'd need to see a full hardware report before commenting. protools runs very well on some hardware set-ups and very badly on others.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What library are you loading in Kontakt?

I usually run MUCH MORE than this, along with audiotracks out of a 2.66 Quadcore, 3 GB ram, dedicated audio drive 500 GB - 7200 rpm - 32mb, dedicated sample drvive 500 GB - 7200 rpm - 32mb.

And I do use heavy libraries as LASS.

I will improve RAM in a near future, anyway...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta ➑️

I usually run MUCH MORE than this, along with audiotracks out of a 2.66 Quadcore, 3 GB ram, dedicated audio drive 500 GB - 7200 rpm - 32mb, dedicated sample drvive 500 GB - 7200 rpm - 32mb.

You can get "much more" at what sample buffer setting?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
You can get "much more" at what sample buffer setting?
Usually 512.

And recording at 512 and boucing at 1024 for heavy VI sessions.
Old 14th November 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Pro tools 9 suck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta

Yeah, I'm with ya... Something doesn't add up. I can load up Logic with plenty of VIs.
πŸ“ Reply