Quantcast
Avid Mbox 3 vs Apogee Duet - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avid Mbox 3 vs Apogee Duet
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Question Avid Mbox 3 vs Apogee Duet

Do you think the new Mbox 3 can be compare to the recording quality of the Duet???
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

..and so it begins
Old 18th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It was a inevitable faith that this thread start :P
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years

I'm going to make music now and drink some pabst.

I'm sick of it.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdj
Do you think the new Mbox 3 can be compare to the recording quality of the Duet???
I dunno man.. I haven't heard em yet. I want to
Old 18th September 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdj ➑️
why does it matter? mbox if you wanna use protools...duet if you wanna use logic or anything else... there's not much in it. or the mbox if you need something the mbox3 has to offer.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This I'm sure of...

If you're on a Windows pc the Mbox is 100% better heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebdj ➑️
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo ➑️
why does it matter?
.. recording quality matters to some - sometimes to the point that the DAW comes secondary to the proprietary hardware in which it is imprisoned
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-San ➑️
.. recording quality matters to some - sometimes to the point that the DAW comes secondary to the proprietary hardware in which it is imprisoned
yes but - we all know the duet is good...picking straws and again it's subjective - this is a new product we're gonna hear good and bad things about it!

the duet has been around for a while and people like it !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojojojo ➑️
yes but - we all know the duet is good...
... just as the previous generations of M-Boxes are known for err... um ..not sounding too good...

I find it interesting that things have been stepped-up to the point that an M-Box could possibly be on the level of the Apogee Duet... & since I'm still skeptical - I'm looking forward to what my fellow slutz have to say after the smoke begins to clear from the shootouts lol
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It seems that everyone who has actually heard this thing is comparing it to the Duet. So far that's salespeople and Avid employees. If it's true, that would be great. Especially since the Duet doesn't have standalone mode and I don't know of anything else in that price range that sounds that good and would have standalone mode.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7
It seems that everyone who has actually heard this thing is comparing it to the Duet. So far that's salespeople and Avid employees. If it's true, that would be great. Especially since the Duet doesn't have standalone mode and I don't know of anything else in that price range that sounds that good and would have standalone mode.
The only people I ever hear saying good things about Avid are employees and salesmen!

It's simple. Go and try it out. 'good' means different things to different ears.
Old 22nd September 2010
Jus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

I would like to hear comparisons, if someone has made such. And please no more "why do you ask it / try it" answers... You see the question has already been raised, and some of us cannot make comparisons themselves.

Personally, I've been interested in the preamp quality of Apogee... but I would like to go on using both PT and Logic (currently with Mbox2), changing between them on the fly. Thus, I would be happy to have an Avid Mbox as - or nearly as - good as Duet.
Old 22nd September 2010 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigd ➑️
The only people I ever hear saying good things about Avid are employees and salesmen!

It's simple. Go and try it out. 'good' means different things to different ears.
Avid, or avid products? I know lots of people who avid have helped make a fair bit of money (myself included).
Old 26th September 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 ➑️

I'm sick of it.
Oh really? Nobody cares.

This is gearslutz...and what do we do here? Talk about gear. High end and low end. There are 1000's of people right now curious how the new Mbox sounds.

This is a legitimate thread that wants someone with ear experience to reply. But apparently none of the posters so far got that
Old 4th October 2010 | Show parent
Jus
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So far, anyone?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Forget the Apogee for the moment. *I'm just curious how the MBox3 compares to the MBox 2 in terms of sound.

I have a feeling it is going to be a while before we get any substantive answers to this question though. The MBox 3 is so new. I'm betting that not a lot of people own them yet. I'm happy with my current MBox 2 Pro. I'm not in a rush to upgrade just yet. Furthermore, WHEN I upgrade, it will probably be to an interface that has even more I/O (probably the 004 when it comes out).
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I was using one today (MBOX 3 mini), bit more hassle than anything. Only works with protools 8.0.4 and won't backdate. In fact the system i was using was 8.0.3 and even that didn't recognise the hardware! Once i upgraded and got it working for some reason pro tools went very buggy, every 10 seconds it would open the 'name track' menu and the midi controller would keep keep freezing. I don't know if this was a pro tools driver issue or the hardware but I gave up and wen't to use logic.... Sounded like an M-Box maybe slightly better but i only had an hour with it using headphones, besides i was concentrating on getting work done than what the sound was like.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To the OP:

Just in case you haven't seen it yet...

This is an interesting thread that compares the Apogee Duet to the MBox2 Pro.

...Included is a blind test (with sound files and everything), and some pretty objective and detailed analysis about how each unit sounds, as well as the pro's and cons of each unit (check out post 18 if you want to skip to the punchline).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
if it's in line with the mbox 2, skip it and go native (duet or so) or mpowered with an m-audio profire lightbridge and a good seperate convertor. But like most ppl, i didn't hear it because it's just out i thought...

mbox 1 and 2 (and also digi00x) is not good concerning quality of the hardware, but for the digi00x series, it's less bad than an mbox as far as my experience with this is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx ➑️
if it's in line with the mbox 2, skip it and go native (duet or so) or mpowered with an m-audio profire lightbridge and a good seperate convertor. But like most ppl, i didn't hear it because it's just out i thought...

mbox 1 and 2 (and also digi00x) is not good concerning quality of the hardware, but for the digi00x series, it's less bad than an mbox as far as my experience with this is.
I suspected that the 002 was better than the mbox from a "hardware" standpoint. What I'd like to know is if they put higher end hardware in the MBox2 Pro compared to the regular MBox 2?

Anyone have a take on that?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx ➑️
if it's in line with the mbox 2
The new Mbox is significantly better than the previous version, in terms of sound quality, build quality, driver support and overall performance.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niallerrity ➑️
I was using one today (MBOX 3 mini), bit more hassle than anything. Only works with protools 8.0.4 and won't backdate. In fact the system i was using was 8.0.3 and even that didn't recognise the hardware! Once i upgraded and got it working for some reason pro tools went very buggy, every 10 seconds it would open the 'name track' menu and the midi controller would keep keep freezing. I don't know if this was a pro tools driver issue or the hardware but I gave up and wen't to use logic.... Sounded like an M-Box maybe slightly better but i only had an hour with it using headphones, besides i was concentrating on getting work done than what the sound was like.
Don't know about the bugginess, but you can hardly complain if it's not working with 8.0.3 if the specs say it'll only work with 8.0.4.
Old 7th November 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bit of a bump with this one. Now that the mbox 3 is essentially native like the duet, i'm looking to sell my 003 and get a duet or mbox 3 for my home use (building a TDM system for the studio i work at and thats where i will do 99% of my work) but of course i'll need a system at home, just in case. Probably jsut for editing and little headphone mixes when emergencies call or recording some quick ideas.

So yeah, i'll be working in tools regardless, and the duet is slightly cheaper, but the mbox has a bit of a sturdier construction (breakout cables ALWAYS, i repeat ALWAYS break in the end)

So i'm leaning toward the mbox, but if i can save 100 bucks i can save 100 bucks you know?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 ➑️

I'm sick of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet ➑️
Oh really? Nobody cares.

This is gearslutz...and what do we do here? Talk about gear. High end and low end. There are 1000's of people right now curious how the new Mbox sounds.

This is a legitimate thread that wants someone with ear experience to reply. But apparently none of the posters so far got that

I actually got a good laugh out of his post, because I am currently drinking a Pabst. heh

To TehGuitarist, I have owned the Duet for a long time for location work and my breakout cables have not hiccuped once, yet alone broken.

The Duet is a quality Apogee unit, and it sounds/works like it.

The new mbox is probably a really clean, solid sounding interface.

Most people won't be able to tell the difference.

The people who posted in jest about this thread are just giving a to the fact that people stress this much over two units that probably aren't going to yield significantly different results... That or the fact that it is just such a glaringly typical GS thread.

If I were you, I would spring for the Apogee purely because at $495 (without software) the general consensus is that it is amazing and worth more than that. Converters, headphone amp, preamps --- all great for the price. It's tried and tested and hailed as the two channel king for anyone on a budget.

The mbox hasn't been put through the trials. It could be an amazing unit on par with the Duet, but personally I like to pay just a little more for peace of mind.

That said, I am also curious to hear opinions on how the new mbox's sound, preamps and all if anyone has picked one up.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
has anyone actually done a detailed comparison between the Duet and Avid Mbox?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a Duet and it's not exactly on par with our AD-16X's but pretty good. The new Avid M-boxes & interfaces are said to be of top notch conversion and build quality. The features in the new M-Box Pro alone are killer up against anything in that price range. Plus you can use it with any DAW you like. Mac or PC.
Old 28th November 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave12345 ➑️
has anyone actually done a detailed comparison between the Duet and Avid Mbox?
No, but I did a comparison between the Mbox 3 and Mbox 2 Pro. Check it out:

https://gearspace.com/board/so-much-...omparison.html
Old 13th December 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The Mbox 3 WILL work with pro tools 8.0.3 for all of those who think otherwise, the reason it didnt is because there is now a standalone driver for the mbox 3 that is needed for it to be recognized by the computer/pro tools. It comes in the install disk of pt8.0.4 or can be downloaded individually from Avid. I have 8.0.3 and an mbox 3, works fine!
Old 13th December 2010 | Show parent
Myr
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The new Mbox uses the same converter chipset as the Duet, according to Max G from Avid.
πŸ“ Reply