The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Focusrite Liquid Mix 32 ... why doesn't everyone have one?
Old 28th May 2016 | Show parent
Deleted User
I respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph ➑️
Then you're not using a 64-bit host, which is what I said.
While Compatibility Mode "either emulates an older version of software, or mimics another operating system in order to allow obsolete or incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software", I don't believe that it downgrades the host and all aspects of the operation to 32-bit.

The "tricking" Windows uses in this instance is aimed at the Liquid Mix, not Cubase. Based on that, I don't see a basis for stating that I am not running a 64-bit host.

I'm running Cubase 64-bit. All of my other plugins and VSTi suites are 64-bit. I could be wrong, but I'm relatively confident there would be hell to pay if all of those were being forced to run in a 32-bit host without my also altering their operational parameters.

My original point was that no 3rd party bridger is required and that the installation is rock-solid.

Given all the negativity that seems to follow the LM, I thought it worthwhile to let those still interested know that some of us are having success with it and it is still viable in current operating systems.
Old 29th May 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Its a great bit of kit.

I love the Distressor, LA2A and 1176.

No problems with its operation in W8.1 when using ASIO4ALL for me; it disagrees with by Focusrite interface driver which Focusrite are trying to fix for me as it looks to be the interface drivers fault.

https://robkellysound.com/2014/12/30...d-windows-8-1/
Old 31st May 2016
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I'd like to add something to this topic. Maybe it will be useful .

I own LiquidMix for 2 years now. Paid 100 Euro for it and would not change for anything else.

I work on Mac. Started out on 10.6.8 , now 10.8.5, going for El Capitan later this week. LM works well both on 10.6.8. and 10.8.5.

I used LM32 with couple of DAW's already and compared it to many VST plugins emulating the same model of compressor. This is what I observed.

DAW:

Ableton Live ver. 8 and 9 - It Works great.. but there were some minor problems. For example, when mixed with many other plugins, sometimes LM was inaudible. I had to close the project and restart LM. It happened maybe 10 out of 200 times though. Ableton sometimes crashed because of it to.

Maschine 2.2 - Worked without problems. If something went wrong, simple switching off/on audio engine fixed it.

Studio one Pro 2 and 3 - It works the best with SO so far. No problems or errors at all.

LiquidMix works very well with jBridge too.

LATENCY:

It adds latency to Studio One and Ableton. Not much but always. It looks like Maschine has better ADC than SO and Ableton.

QUIRKS:

Yes, it's got some of them:P ... I like to put my mac to sleep instead of shutting it down. Every time It awakens, I have to be sure to re-launch LiquidMix app . If not. There will be no sound while running a plugin.

I sometimes forget and launch DAW...then..I need to close the DAW, re-launch LM app and reset LM Hardware by pushing /Save+Load+ Go Back/ together ... pretty annoying at first, but I got used to it.

If I re-launch app or reset it while running a DAW...DAW crashes in 99% of times.

QUALITY:

In my opinion is superb and is way better than any WAVES, T.Racks emulations . First of all. Those compressors behave differently than their software brothers. The quality of compression is WAAAAAAY better. One can really compress with LM. Strong compression is all where it's down. Digital compressors tend to destroy the sound in very harsh and digital way. LM is smooth even with hardcore settings. No matter what amount of compression, It is always musical sounding.

Recently I decided to try Steven Slate's plugins. They are lovely. Quality of compression is amazing for a VST . I compared SS Buss compressors to LM and I haven't noticed many differences in sound....These are hands down the best digital compressors out there in my opinion. I decided to not to use LM for a while and stick to Steven's plugins... and you know what.. I miss the clean sound of LM! After a while, I noticed that my mixes are duller without LiquidMix .

I'm not using Slate Digital Plugins now...I just feel there is no sense with having LM around. (Steven's EQ's are BETTER though)

Only thing that Liquid Mix misses is that noticeable "mojo" . It's very clean. It adds something to the mix when used on every channel... I wouldn't call it a mojo though. It's some kind of crystal clarity. Separation seems bigger while using it, and mix is more open.

I'm combining Liquid mix with Slate's VCC now..and this is what doctor ordered!

If you can afford it..go for it. Quality is way better than Waves, T.racks ,Softube and other digital compressors in my opinion. Eq's are really good too.

I tried Nebula at some stage, It gives plenty of Mojo and Vibe but it takes too much CPU. Is it better? It's definitely different. Haven't tried new plugs from Acoustica. If anyone is interested in making a joint comparison, let me know. We could pick one file and do some tests.

SUMMARY:

If you can live with its quirks - it's the best gear for home studio you can get for 100Euro!

Cheers
Old 3rd June 2016
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
yea.. soundwise this still kicks many plugins asses.

but you have to know some weird behaviours, like the eq can sound terrible with some settings. (for example: +1db smooth, +2db aargh glassy, +3db smooth)
Old 22nd June 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi guys, maybe interesting for you: It's about getting LM as a controller. I love the knobs and how they are arranged, so it would be nice to all, to use this nice piece of hardware as a CC controller as well. A expert in this mentioned, it would be not that big problem for focusrite, as the informations are at the computer via the application already. If you don't mind, write a friendly support request to focusrite. If it's running as a controller away, after some time as a nice side-effect I will reinstall all 96k IRs again and use it. After a while I could not live with its quirks anymore, but if I have it always in my hands, yeaaaah go for it. ;-)

using liquid mix as a controller?
Old 13th July 2016
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
i dont have one, i've got 3 liquid mix 32s running on different macs.

When i bought one recently and heard how good it was, i thought i have to have this on all my computers in my setup because they are so cheap now 2nd hand.

I have nebula with a lot of 3rd party impulses, its really good but unusable on every channel even on some of the latest i7 hardware.

Liquid Mix needs a few work-arounds to install it on el capitan, but it is possible (hint: show package contents and disable app nap)

Sleep/wake will stop it from working, just so you know.

My favorites that i use all the time are the manley massive passive eq (Huge Tube) and the distressor (Copy Cat)..
Old 27th September 2016
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What Minimum Latency Should I Select?

If my interface is set to 512 latency, what should the Minimum Latency be set in the LiquidMix Manager?

Also, does the Minimum Latency need to change it I set my DAWS latency is set to 256 or 1024?

Thanks!
Old 2nd October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
would love to hear how the LM is being used on more modern OSX's (even though I am still on ML, going to mavericks soon on work machines).. other then disabling app nap, and wrapping it via 32lives or whatnot, anything else or other gotcha's? and I too would love to map the controls to other things as mentioned in another thread, but unfortunately that probably isn't going to happen!

edit: oh, and i heard someone mention it before, does it add ADDITIONAL latency by just being installed or on your firewire chain? thought I read that somewhere, but doesn't make all the sense in the world... perhaps..
Old 3rd May 2017
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Anyone have Liquid Mix HD in Windows 7 64bits and Pro Tools HD 10 working? Mine don't load the emulations
Old 5th May 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I cant help you with Win 7, but heres a free bump... Maybe contact Focusrite support? I recently had some install issues and they were quick to help.

I am surprised how good this plug sounds. I recently bought a 32, and then went out and bought the TDM plug since I liked it so much!

Does anyone know if there is a way to capture your own impulses?
Old 6th May 2017
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Finaly works! The trick is run Pro tools in administration mode. Very happy with it, payed almost nothing for it.
TDM plugins are a steal this days!
Old 17th May 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi is anyone else using Liquid mix with Mac El capitain ? it works but locks up a lot
Old 18th May 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal J ➑️
Hi is anyone else using Liquid mix with Mac El capitain ? it works but locks up a lot
Did you turn off App Nap?

If not, instructions are listed in this post:

https://gearspace.com/board/11836443-post5.html
Old 12th June 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Well guys, you've all inspired me to dust off the LM and give it a go, and to my surprise, I've managed to get it running on Yosemite in PT 12 using JBridger and Metaplugin!! My only issue is the GUI tends to freeze a little. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
Old 12th June 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Had the same problem on mac. You could try to use the text/value GUI version. I wrapped the LM with Novation Automap and controlled it via Nocturn. Worked better than the LM hardware.
Old 14th July 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Possible good news on this... DDMF Metaplugin V3 now includes 32-64bit wrapping!
Old 4th August 2017
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hi,
I am selling my LM as I am to often work on the way just with laptop, won't use any DSP-Hardware they need to much space in train or bus.
https://gearspace.com/board/gearslut...l#post12760424

Thx
Old 20th December 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigua ➑️
Possible good news on this... DDMF Metaplugin V3 now includes 32-64bit wrapping!
Did MetaPlugin work?
Old 25th December 2018 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage ➑️
Did MetaPlugin work?
Yeah metaplugin works great. I didn’t end up trying it with Liquid Mix as my Mac died and my new one only has USB -C ports, so it all got too hard to set up.
πŸ“ Reply