Quantcast
Calling all Gigabyte MoBo users! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calling all Gigabyte MoBo users!
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Calling all Gigabyte MoBo users!

What I want to ask from ALL DAW users with a Gigabyte motherboards is the following:

1) Do you experience the dreaded "coil whine"

2) Which Gigabyte model do you use?

3) Which PSU do you use.

4) Which Graphics Card do you use

The reason I'm asking this is that apparently the coil whine is dependent on which PSU/GPU one uses together with the Gigabyte coard. It would be really nice to get a firm idea about which PSU/GB/GPU combos cause the whine and more importantly, which combos that does NOT.

From searching the net it appears that Seasonic is the main culprit with Seasonic PSUs and Seasonic produced Corsair PSUs causing the GB whine, but the reality is that people only seem to write on forums when they have problems, therefore it would be nice to hear from people that do not have problems.
Old 9th March 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
First up I can say that my old Gigabyte KN8S-939-Ultra in combination with a Corsair HX520w PSU and a really really basic Asus GPU does not cause the whine. However, it seems that it is mostly a problem with newer i7 based Gigabyte boards.
Old 9th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The last 3 mobos ive bought have been gigabyte and havent had any probs really.. The most recent one i bought is a P55a UD3R, its got an i5 in it and uses a thermaltake litepower PSU...

I cant remember models for the older boards, one had a core 2 duo and the other had a pentium D... Those older two had cheap crappy PSUs in them... prior to gigabyte i would use Asus but i had way more trouble with them than ive had with GB..

Im not even sure what the whine is that you are talking about ?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
From what I've read on several threads on the net, the general consensus seems to be that several i7 based boards have this issue, but that the issue is most prevalent on Gigabyte i7 boards.

One problem, from reading those threads, is that it is mostly enthusiasts who are not from the DAW world but from the gaming world and have massively powerful GPU's that might well contribute to the problem.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think I might possibly know what you mean, if its the same thing, but its absolutely nothing to worry about it if it the same thing I'm thinking of.

First time I've heard of any 'whine' as such, but I'm running~:

Gigabyte EX58-UD5 mobo
Gigabyte ATI HD4850 1gig Fanless graphics card
Nesteq E2CS X-Strike 750W Ultra-Quiet PSU

In general use its absolutely fine. CPU nearing 100%, no problems.

The only time I ever notice any kind of extra noise is if the graphics card is being pushed hard with intensive 3D stuff, like in latest games. Then if I put my ear closer to the case I can hear this strange kinda light clicking sound coming from the graphics card area. I've no idea what causes it, there's no fan on that thing.

But seeing as all the DAW's I know of don't have state of the art complex 3D models bouncing around the screen it doesn't become an issue for DAW use.

But it is interesting that what you read was from gaming forums, which would suggest its related to 3D intensive stuff specifically.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun ➑️
But it is interesting that what you read was from gaming forums, which would suggest its related to 3D intensive stuff specifically.
Not really. For many users it's a constant noise even in idle mode. Good thing that you haven't had it under those circumstances. The board you have is even one of the boards where LOTS of people on the net have had that issue.

Supposedly it's a bit like this: YouTube - Strange audio noise coming through speakers with Gigabyte EX58-UD5 although plenty of users report the noise coming from the CPU area of the board itself or the PSU area.

Which OS are you using? Supposedly the problem is intensified if using 64 bit W7.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwan ➑️
Not really. For many users it's a constant noise even in idle mode. Good thing that you haven't had it under those circumstances. The board you have is even one of the boards where LOTS of people on the net have had that issue.

Supposedly it's a bit like this: YouTube - Strange audio noise coming through speakers with Gigabyte EX58-UD5 although plenty of users report the noise coming from the CPU area of the board itself or the PSU area.

Which OS are you using? Supposedly the problem is intensified if using 64 bit W7.
Wow that sounds super bad in that video, not experiencing that at all on mine. I'm still running XP 32-bit, also with an Emu soundcard like guy in that video, same CPU cooler as well.

Very odd. Thing is that kind of buzzing could be down to many factors, not necessarily the mobo.

Also noticed he only seems to have 1 stick of ram in there, looks fairly low budget affair too. Be interesting to see if he runs his audio cables balanced to his speakers too and whether that makes a diff.

(shouldn't do because whilst my monitors run via balanced, my headphone amp runs unbalanced and I still don't hear that buzzing)

Also notice that some device on his system hasn't had drivers installed when XP boots up, maybe he needs to tweak bios settings too.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I think all you have to do to fix it is turn off all the c1 halt/eist/speedstepping which is fine since you really shouldn't have that stuff on for a DAW anyway. I have a gigabyte board, corsair psu and a i7 and never get the coil whine.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➑️
I think all you have to do to fix it is turn off all the c1 halt/eist/speedstepping which is fine since you really shouldn't have that stuff on for a DAW anyway. I have a gigabyte board, corsair psu and a i7 and never get the coil whine.
This fixes it for a lot of users while others report little difference or just less annoying noise.

There are some users out there with quality enthusiasts gear through and through who can't seem to get rid of it regardless of what they do.

This is of great concern to me because I WANT a Gigabyte X58A board for my new build for the TI firewire chipset (have en RME FF800). I'm considering getting an ASUS P6X58D instead with a PCI firewire chipset, but I would prefer just getting a Gigabyte board. Some users have reported coil whine with Asus P6T boards too but not nearly as many as with the GB boards and supposedly the noise is less annoying and easier to get rid of with ASUS P6T boards. I haven't found anybody complaining about the ASUS P6X58D board yet, but that board is rather new.

What I'm eager to find out is if this problem is GENERAL to the X58 GB boards or if it's down to luck of the draw.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Which Corsair PSU do you have? It seems to depend on which model it is. Oh, and which Gigabyte board and OS are you running? And GPU too now that we're on it?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use a couple of Gigabyte boards with Antec PS, Phenom(II)s and the internal GPU and don't have any issues to speak of.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Which Corsair PSU do you have? It seems to depend on which model it is. Oh, and which Gigabyte board and OS are you running? And GPU too now that we're on it?
I think its something like a HX650, seasonic oem. The gpu is a xfx 7300 gs I think. WinXP sp2
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is the on board firewire for the k8ns 939 considered good? I am trying to figure out why my TI PCI firewire card does not sync with my firebox, yet the on board does.

For the record my TI card worked great for years, so it is either dead or some kind of IRQ setting is wrong?

And to stay on topic, I do not have the whine with this model.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➑️
Is the on board firewire for the k8ns 939 considered good? I am trying to figure out why my TI PCI firewire card does not sync with my firebox, yet the on board does.

For the record my TI card worked great for years, so it is either dead or some kind of IRQ setting is wrong?

And to stay on topic, I do not have the whine with this model.
Works for me with my RME FF800.

BTW; I actually think I might have a lesser version of the whine om my current motherboard. I always just figured that it was a but noisy but it does bear some resemblance to the whine. Will try manipulating the BIOS.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool. Im going to pull that TI firewire card out then. I don't know what happened, but it just stopped working.

Another issue that maybe you have? When I start my computer now and then it will not load past the initial boot. The screen then goes black and stays that way until I reset. It has no pattern and is intermittent. I am guessing it is the video drivers, which have always been a slight PITA.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cool. Im going to pull that TI firewire card out then. I don't know what happened, but it just stopped working.

Another issue that maybe you have? When I start my computer now and then it will not load past the initial boot. The screen then goes black and stays that way until I reset. It has no pattern and is intermittent. I am guessing it is the video drivers, which have always been a slight PITA.
Nope. Thankfully I don't have that problem.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What video card do you use?

I think I have an ATI..pretty basic one, but it's been a while and I need to look.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What video card do you use?

I think I have an ATI..pretty basic one, but it's been a while and I need to look.
It's a passively cooled ASUS GeForce 6200 card.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's a passively cooled ASUS GeForce 6200 card.
cool. I priced out a new intel quad core. Looked to be right at a grand with the options I went with. Ill be interested in seeing how it works out for you, since for now I am sticking with my dual core 939.

The funny part is that in 2005, it was the same questions..will my firewire interface work with this mobo? Will it be noisy?..etc. It is not easy building a PC DAW, but when you finally get it done, it is oh so nice.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yep that fixed it for me

GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P
VGA SAPPHIRE HD4550
CORSAIR6 20HX
Lives for gear

I had that awful sound over my monitors whenever there was I/O activity of any kind (wireless, USB, FireWire). Disabling C1 completely fixed it for me, and like others have mentioned, you should disable EIST and the C states anyway for consistent audio performance.

Board: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
Proc: Intel i7 950
Power supply: Corsair 650HX
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Good to know that you guys got it to work by that fix, but are any of you using Win 7 64 bit?
Old 10th March 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Good to know that you guys got it to work by that fix, but are any of you using Win 7 64 bit?
I am.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The only Gigabyte board i'm aware of that has the affliction is the UD5. And there is a cure (as mentioned above).

If there are other models that have this issue, i'd love to hear about it!(err..not that i like hearing of people having problems.. just good to know to pass on to others)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any Gigabyte guys know how to deal with this? TI firewire card was working but got intermittent on me because the firebox would not sync on the loadup. I had to pull the cable and plug in to get it blue. It was in PCI slot 2, and today would not sync.

I pull out and resat the card and when i restarted XP3 it looked for the driver and could not find it. It brought up the install wizard and said PCI device driver can not be found. I put the card in the last PCI slot, saw nothing, but the computer saw the firewire card in device manager. Firebox now does not sync to it, it also does not sync to the on board firewire.

Any new settings I should check to salvage this or does the firebox need to go?

K8ns mobo with 4600+ dual core athlon 64
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any Gigabyte guys know how to deal with this? TI firewire card was working but got intermittent on me because the firebox would not sync on the loadup. I had to pull the cable and plug in to get it blue. It was in PCI slot 2, and today would not sync.

I pull out and resat the card and when i restarted XP3 it looked for the driver and could not find it. It brought up the install wizard and said PCI device driver can not be found. I put the card in the last PCI slot, saw nothing, but the computer saw the firewire card in device manager. Firebox now does not sync to it, it also does not sync to the on board firewire.

Any new settings I should check to salvage this or does the firebox need to go?

K8ns mobo with 4600+ dual core athlon 64
Do you have another system to test if the Firebox works? Could be something up with the configuration of the computer, corrupt driver, bad ram, anything really.. I'd rule out if it's the Firebox first.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Do you have another system to test if the Firebox works? Could be something up with the configuration of the computer, corrupt driver, bad ram, anything really.. I'd rule out if it's the Firebox first.
Unfortunately my old pc cant handle the firebox, and i only use laptops now if it's not for music.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider ➑️
I am.
Great! Your setup doesn't look too different from what I'm looking for. Core i7 CPU, Gigabyte X58 board, firewire audio interface, Win 7 64 bit.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwwDeOhh ➑️
The only Gigabyte board i'm aware of that has the affliction is the UD5. And there is a cure (as mentioned above).

If there are other models that have this issue, i'd love to hear about it!(err..not that i like hearing of people having problems.. just good to know to pass on to others)
The UDR3 board should be heavily affected. The net is littered with threads on this.

Have heard some reports on the UD7 as well, but not as many. This could possibly be due to it being a less common board.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Gigabyte UD5 Core i7 940
Mushkin 1600 Ram
ASUS Silient EN 9600GT Fanless Dual DVI
ToPower 1,000watt PSU

Not even a whisper.
πŸ“ Reply