Quantcast
Q for OSX Gurus - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Q for OSX Gurus
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Q for OSX Gurus

MCal, BevvyB, OSX Gurus out here .... I looking for a solution for a silly but annoying problem with OSX.

From time to time, and at random, OSX will reset the date and time to January 1 1971 and 01:00 AM .... or something similar. Very annoying when you start up Protools and there's 45 plugins complaining about that.

I'm running OSX 10.2.4 (I think).

After reconfiguring the correct date and time there's no telling when it will happen again. Might be straight at the next restart or 2 days later ....

Any ideas ???
Old 29th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Oooh.. thats a weird one Chris. Usually if its a battery problem it'll be wrong everytime you restart.
This only happens now and again??
Have you tried booting into openfirmware and doing the reset-all command? Hold down Alt + apple key +O + F during bootup. You'll get a grey screeen with small black type on it. Let the type finish appearing, then release the 4 keys your holding down.
Type in reset-all exactly how I wrote it there and see if that sorts it. It's the new 'version' of zapping the p-ram sort-off lol You'll have to set the date and time again, but restart after and see if that solves it.
If that doesn't do let me know and we'll try somethin' else ok?

Al.
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks ... will try and let you know.

I doubt it's a battery problem. We're still running OS9 on the same mac. And it never does or has done that under OS9. At first I thought it had something to do with switching back and forth between OSX and OS9. But this week I've only used OSX and it has done it on 2 occasions. Once in the morning at startup, and once during the day after a restart.
Old 29th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I believe there was a Date bug in 10.2.4 and 10.2.5

Try upgrading the OS (via software update) to 10.2.6 (free of course)

(I don't know if 10.2.6 has been qualified with PT yet or not - I'm on Logic so the latest OS is gonna be the one to use)

The other workaround is to have the computer connected to a network time server and have it automatically sync to that. (It's in the system preferences pane)

Best of luck
Old 30th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Chris -

Some people have it in 10.2.4
Most people still had it in 10.2.5 (as well as loads of other absolute awfulness)
Most people got rid of it in 10.2.6

I did.

If you still have it in 10.2.6, it's a 'feature'. I doubt you will/

It's a hot topic gone cold, and I'm surprised you haven't mentioned it earlier.

DO NOT install 10.2.5. It sucks.

While I had 10.2.5 running, I set my time in preferences to network time. But that's ok for me 'cos my main mac is on boradband.

10.2.6 is worth it, seems stable here. It WILL PROBABLY get rid of it.

I could tell you where to go for more info....but hey...I'll save you the bother....so,,,,,don't bother

Install 10.2.6

then post back
Old 30th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
For the record.. I never had this problem with 10.2.4 or 5.....lol

Al.
Old 30th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
bastard
Old 30th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
lol!!!!!!

Al.
Old 30th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well .... I started getting the problem a couple of weeks ago ... first thinking it had to do with the switching between OS9 and OSX I didn't pay too much attention to it. But recently the date issue became more frequent ... like every 2 days and sometimes after a restart.

The network time is not an option for the studio mac since I'm the 'old school' kinda paranoid user that wants to keep audio/midi FAR away from anything that has to do with the internet. The studio mac is dedicated for audio/midi ALONE. It is hooked up to a network with 4 macs on it. The other ones have internet configured and all it takes is to assign the DHCP server to it to connect but I refuse to do that.

Hey, if I need an upgrade, I go to another mac and download it on there, then transfer it to the studo mac with filesharing. I used to burn a CD on the internet mac with the files and then bring it to the studio mac.

Challenge response codes actually made me decide to hook the studio mac up to the rest of the network. Now I copy paste the challenge codes into a text document ... transfer the text document to an internet mac ... wait for the response .... copy paste that one into another text document ... tranfer that one back to the studio mac etc etc ....

yea yea ... I know ... I'm paranoid about it but hey ... it works and it keeps me out of a lot of trouble ... at least that's what I keep believing. Maybe in 2005 I'll hook it up to the internet too ...

Tonight I did the 10.2.6 upgrade and reset the P-ram like MCal described. I did a couple of restarts / switches to OS9 back and forth ... everything seems to be fine. If the problem comes back I'll report it here.

Thanks,
Old 30th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I had the date change ALL THE TIME

Only 10.2.6 fixed it

Re: Networking with mac

I am ALWAYS connected, have been on OSX for nearly 1.5 years

It's not like 9

NO WORRIES

I guess that's why so much of the world relies on Linux.Unix servers

On 9???? Forget it