Quantcast
Is PT6 really stabler on single processor Mac's? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is PT6 really stabler on single processor Mac's?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Is PT6 really stabler on single processor Mac's?

I've read on the DUC that Digi are saying PT6 is more stable on a single processor machine. It seems a pity to miss out on the dual processors as I want to use a lot of native power. But if it makes the system flaky...

Digi still haven't approved the latest range of Mac's, are they OK for anyone here?
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Is PT6 really stabler on single processor Mac's?

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
I've read on the DUC that Digi are saying PT6 is more stable on a single processor machine.
I'd be interested to read that, and shocked if that is an official statement.

Do you have the uri?
Old 27th May 2003
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Re: Re: Is PT6 really stabler on single processor Mac's?

Quote:
Originally posted by jimlongo
I'd be interested to read that, and shocked if that is an official statement.

Do you have the uri?
Jim

Not an official statement!!!! (not likely!!!) a DUC murmer...quite possibly without foundation, -that's why I'm asking-I can't find the source, there are so many threads on PT6 and Mac problems, maybe it was just someone saying that their Digi dealer recommends single processors.

There do seem to be more moans about this particular combination of OSX PT6 and dual processors than usual on the DUC.

cheers
Old 27th May 2003
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Well I have only used it on a dual867, without many complaints, so if that helps . . .

The dual processors are very helpful as far as I can see, PTs seems to take advantage of both and passes off tasks to one or the other.

Bear in mind that when it comes to the DUC or any tech forum you only hear about problems, very few people post threads about "How **** great this stuff of yours is!".

I personally don't think there are so many problems but I am not one of the people with those problems.

as always YMMV
Old 29th May 2003
Mac Moderator

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Ok Folks,
Here's the skinny on this topic...... SOME early DP Macs (eg: DP450's.......some) don't like HD rigs. Its down to a slightly unspecced power supply. You'll find you get error message's after sometime running that indicate a Hardware error.... infact its the Mac bottling out under the strain of handling all the Data from the HD cards. I've had this happen on HD2 + 3 Rigs on 2 different DP450's.
I've built numerous HD Rigs on later DP's and all was well. So its a symtom of the earlier models.
I've reported this through official dealer support channels.. so hopefully it might make it into print......sometime lol

Al.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…