Quantcast
Synthogy Ivory 2 and 64bit - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Synthogy Ivory 2 and 64bit
Old 17th January 2010
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Synthogy Ivory 2 and 64bit

according to: Synthogy Ivory II, next generation of piano products for PC and Mac

Synthogy has announced that it will introduce its next generation of Ivory piano products in 2010.
Dubbed Ivory II, the powerful new custom engine for Synthogy’s line of virtual pianos will provide exciting new features, an all-new GUI, and further expanded piano sample sets to provide performers with more expressive detail than ever.
New in Ivory II
  • Sympathetic String Resonance, a sought after but elusive characteristic of real pianos that Synthogy approaches in a completely new and unique way to realize the true complexities and subtleties of sympathetic string excitation.
  • Half Pedaling, Lid Position, Pedal Noise, and Tuning Tables to deliver the most detail and control available in a virtual piano.
  • Timbre Shifting, Parametric EQ, and new Synth Layer control offer powerful new sound sculpting capabilities for custom piano programming and sound design.
  • Each Ivory piano, in every Ivory product, has been further refined and developed to include more velocity levels (up to 18 per piano), more soft pedal samples, more release samples, with greater fidelity and refinement than ever before, to surpass Ivory’s already unmatched playability.
The Ivory II upgrade will be offered on all three of Synthogy’s existing products in the spring of 2010. Upgrades for existing customers will be offered, with details to be announced at a later date.
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sounds cool. After Vienna Imperial though, with the 120+ velocity layers all exactly matched, I just can't see anything touching that.
Old 17th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
whats that gonna be...1 terabyte of samples??????
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalson ➡️
whats that gonna be...1 terabyte of samples??????
No, it's been out for a bit now. 60GB, hands down the best sampled piano out there. Check Vienna Instruments site, look for Vienna Imperial. Anyhow, Ivory 1.5 is good for what it does, I look forward to hearing how they did with version 2.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➡️
Sounds cool. After Vienna Imperial though, with the 120+ velocity layers all exactly matched, I just can't see anything touching that.
well the footprint of that beast is not for the faint of heart or of weak of computers I imagine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus ➡️
well the footprint of that beast is not for the faint of heart or of weak of computers I imagine.
It's actually very well optimized. Of course having a fast computer doesn't hurt, especially if you want 384 polyphony and low latency.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love Ivory, but it is very resource intensive. This is great
cdlt
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hopefully they will sort out fair upgrades to existing customers. ;-)

Vienna Imperial is surely very detailed, but it's just one grand - there are more to choose from when it comes to Ivory.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrvlad ➡️
Vienna Imperial is surely very detailed, but it's just one grand - there are more to choose from when it comes to Ivory.
Yeah Vienna Imperial has really raised the bar on sampled pianos. There's a jazzy piano, bass & drum demo on their site (showcasing also their "Upright bass" product) that's totally amazing. I can't see VSL stopping there and not doing other grands and uprights with that market being so big.

I use Ivory Italian grand and love it. The uprights sound great also, but if it were possible to buy each upright seperately (I think that there's 4 in the package) I'd probably get one of those also.

Hopefully the Ivory II will give VSL a run for their money!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think you are forgetting a big one....East West Pianos....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
did you listen to the vienna imperial demos? strange room modes, resonances and comb filter effects all over the place. Maybe technically advanced but the sound doesn't justify the effort IMHO
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMillion ➡️
did you listen to the vienna imperial demos? strange room modes, resonances and comb filter effects all over the place. Maybe technically advanced but the sound doesn't justify the effort IMHO
I have not noticed any of those issues with the sample set, and I have used it ALOT.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I mainly use acoustic grand pianos 99% of the time when I do use any MIDI piano Ivory sounds great.
If I was a heavy MIDI piano user I could easily justify VSL which is about 3x the cost of Ivory.
Old 17th January 2010
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Each Ivory piano, in every Ivory product, has been further refined and developed to include more velocity levels (up to 18 per piano), more soft pedal samples, more release samples, with greater fidelity and refinement than ever before, to surpass Ivory’s already unmatched playability.[/LIST]
Ivory unmatched velocity layers?...

What are they smokin' have they heard of VSL Imperial?

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape ➡️
Quote: I can't see VSL stopping there and not doing other grands and uprights with that market being so big.

VSL might have to stop there. The only way they were able to match precisely that amount of layers per key, was the ability to use "Boesendoerfers Ceus" technology, that actually reproduces a physical hammerstroke on the Boesendorfer Grand triggered from a computer!!
I foresee VSL doing some other pianos with that technology that allowed them to register up to 100 different velocity layers. A human couldn't be that precise for the needs of sampling. All that of course to be able to replicate a human being later playing the instrument. thumbsup
Old 18th January 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwerks ➡️
I foresee VSL doing some other pianos with that technology that allowed them to register up to 100 different velocity layers. A human couldn't be that precise for the needs of sampling. All that of course to be able to replicate a human being later playing the instrument. thumbsup
Exactly !

I wish they use that CEUS technology on others grands and uprights too, because with that AND their dedicated custom-made software engine, it could do wonders.

That does NOT mean that Ivory II or Galaxy Pianos or even EWQL Pianos are crap compared to it.

It just offer more versatility and "playability".

Not to mention that if offers 3 mics positions to choose from.
Old 19th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck ➡️
I have not noticed any of those issues with the sample set, and I have used it ALOT.
I'glad to hear that. Would be a good idea to post new demos. The only one that did not sound totally weird is the MIR demo with doublebass and jazzdrums. Whoever does the VSL demosongs doesn't care much about sound and performance.

Does the VSL imperial redamper and does it make sympathetic resonance if you hit the sustain pedal after playing a note?

An other question: When will a sample piano recreate different articulations? There are many different ways to hit a piano key, besides the velocity. Possibly never with the current key sensing technology...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatzeMillion ➡️
When will a sample piano recreate different articulations? There are many different ways to hit a piano key, besides the velocity.
I'm not a concert pianist so I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Could you elaborate? How else does a player strike a note?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
I'm not a concert pianist so I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Could you elaborate? How else does a player strike a note?
Sustain, soft, and sostenuto pedals are usually implemented via articulations (different samples being triggered for the same note). Besides that I know that QL Pianos have a repetition articulation that is played for repeated notes that are played at certain speeds.
Old 20th January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo ➡️
on a piano there is a difference between how hard you hit a key and how fast you press it down. Influencing the micro timing and the sound. You can't express that with midi I think. I read something about the Roland v-piano analyzing the keystrokes more accurate.

Stakkato is one thing that is weak in every samplepiano I tried and the lack of redamper. Ivory does it IMO. It happens if you play a stakkato chord and press the pedal right after it when the sound has already decayed a little bit. You get a very hard attack but the sustained note is soft. Quite common in many playing styles. If you play like this without redamper emulation, you have only a loud short chord (or note) and then nothing.

Don't get me wrong, I apprechiate the rising quality and accuracy of sampled pianos but the tonal cosmos of a real piano is a lot more than that and you cannot capture it with more and more samples. That's a dead end.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exclamation

A demo from the NAMM show.

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'll be upgrading, even though I can't play anywhere near as well as him!
Old 21st January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
it sounds terrible. im on a laptop and it jumped out at me immediately as sounding bad. after listening for a while i determined its the resonance or reverb or something like that thats really killing the sound and sounds VERY digital.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamlive ➡️
it sounds terrible. im on a laptop and it jumped out at me immediately as sounding bad. after listening for a while i determined its the resonance or reverb or something like that thats really killing the sound and sounds VERY digital.
Are you talking about the YouTube video ? Because if you're talking about the audio demos on their site, I can't imagine what kind of tone you like...
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Slash ➡️
Are you talking about the YouTube video ? Because if you're talking about the audio demos on their site, I can't imagine what kind of tone you like...

why yes! im talking about the youtube video and cant imagine why it sounds so grainy and digital

no, listen to the demos on the website and they all have this digitally sounding tinge(word?) on the sustain and decay part of the sound. the attack it sounds fine, but past that it sounds really bad and very unlike a real piano. IMO at least...
Old 22nd January 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
For anyone to use a poor quality YouTube video for evaluation purposes is beyond me. Why even bother making a comment about it until you hear it when it actually comes out.

Also, if you don't like the demos for the current version of Synthogy I am just curious what sampled piano library you feel is adequate? What product(s) do you use?
Old 5th February 2010 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Their site says nothing about 64-bit. Where did that info come from?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fslix ➡️
Their site says nothing about 64-bit. Where did that info come from?
Pretty much everybody is working on a 64 bit version
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Ivory has been 64bitfor more than a year
Old 5th February 2010
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I think there are so many good pianos samplers out now that it really will not make much of a difference. Just as every piano sounds different, so these high quality piano samples sound different. I will say though that the original Ivory though good as it is, does not sound as good as newer products like The Grand 3 or Garritan Steinway. Most of the newer ones sound pretty good and I am sure this Ivory 2 will be up there as well. If I had the original Ivory it would make sense to upgrade. I though love the Garritan and have no desire to get another grand piano sound. An upright piano? Perhaps. I like the Ivory upright pianos a lot.
📝 Reply