Quantcast
Triggering "External In" in Arturia Moog emulators, within Logic. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Triggering "External In" in Arturia Moog emulators, within Logic.
Old 15th January 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Triggering "External In" in Arturia Moog emulators, within Logic.

Hey - I'm flummoxed.

I want to route audio into the arturia minimoog V2 - and use it's filters to manipulate the sound within Logic Pro. (v8)

Getting the sound in, no prob - open the Minimoog as an efx plug in on the relevant Audio channel strip.

At the moment - it seems the only way to 'open' the sound is to click on the GUI keyboard of the actual plug-in while it's playing. You can't record these key presses as midi it seems.

I want to be able to trigger the keyboard from an external MIDI controller, not just click on the screen. I presume this isn't working at mo as the selected channel in logic is an Audio Channel strip, an therefore not wired for MIDI.

I've tried fiddling with inserting instruments and linking them in the environment, to no avail. The plug-in as an efx unit simply isn't seeing midi.

Without this capacity, I'm unable to record any use of the filters, as the default position is 'note off' seemingly.

Can anyone help ?????

yours

Zelig
Old 1st August 2010
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Solution (for me at least)

I had this problem a couple of years ago using the Mini and the Modular both.
Niether Apple nor Arturia where helpful when they at long last understood the problem.
I’ve hardly touched my sequencer set-up since I bought a Candy Apple Strat a couple of years ago but I think my solution still is valid

This is how I did it.
The key was thinking outside the box, in this case Logic.
Think: I just bought a real MiniMoog (or Modular) with MIDI input.
I think you get the idea.

Here are the specifics, for the newbies;-)
You need an audio-interface and a MIDI-interface, both with multiple ins and outs.
I presume that your main in and out is through Output 1-2 in Logic.

Audio
Make a new audio track in Logic.
Insert an audio file on the track for testing purposes.
Route it to output 3-4.
Route output 3-4 on your audio interface to input 5-6 using the appropriate cable(s).
Open the Moog as a separate application, ie not as a plug-in in Logic.
Select external audio input, using input 5-6 on the Moog.
Select audio output 5-6 on the Moog.
Route output 5-6 on your audio interface to input 3-4 using the appropriate cable(s).
Make a new audio track in Logic
Set it to input 3-4 and output 1-2 (main mix).
Now your audio path is routed.

Create a new MIDI-track.
Route an external MIDI-cable the ”same” way you did the audio. Except that you, of course, use your MIDI-interface and you don’t have to route the MIDI back into Logic.
You may need to route MIDI-clock to the appropriate MIDI out in Logic´s synch settings if you want the Moog´s LFO´s and sequencer to synch..
You may also have to set the appropriate MIDI-channel on the Moog.

Start Logic.
Your audio track should now play through the Moog and back to your second audio track.
You should also be able to trigger note-on´s and controllers on the Moog using your keyboard via the MIDI track in Logic.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO CREATE AUDIO OR MIDI_LOOPS.
Excuse me for shouting but you could blow your tweeters and your ears, so be careful when you experiment.
Turn that volume down until you are sure that everything works.

This is my first post to list as a newbie poster, if not reader, and I’m happy to, at long last, be able to give something in return.
Feedback is a good thing, not only on guitar, so I would be grateful for any comments except trashing.

Happy sequencing and may the synch be with you.
Tommy D
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There is a trick in Logic to do what the OP is after... and while I don't use the same plug-ins in question, I have done similar routings for similar reasons.

First, make sure you're inserting the plug-in you want to use midi control on on an INSTRUMENT track, in the slot where you'd normally insert a virtual instrument. In the plug-in pop-up, you have the choice of "AU MIDI-controlled effects". Choose your plug-in from this list.

Once the plug-in is open, there should be a "side-chain" pull-down on the upper right-hand corner of the plug-in interface. Pick your audio source channel here that you want to run through the MIDI-controllable plug-in. That should do it... you should now be able to use an external controller to control your plug-in, and record the data as well.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Geez... didn't realize how old the first post on this thread was! I'll pay more attention next time. I'm hoping the OP has found the solution by now!
Old 2nd August 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
>There is a trick in Logic to do what the OP is after... and while I don't use the same plug-ins in question, I have done similar routings for similar reasons.
Snip

Here’s the story.
Yesterday a friend of mine phoned me having this exact problem. He is a thorough guy and won’t give up easily so when he told me there was no solution to be found on the net I trusted him.
After explaining the procedure to him I started browsing the subject (I’m curious, so shoot me). I found a thread on a forum describing how the "AU MIDI-controlled effects"-solution doesn’t work, the Arutria plugs just doesn’t show up in the list.

I’ve used computers to make music since my first MIDI-setup in the early 80´s: Yamaha DX7, Prophet 600, Roland TR626 (replacing my TR606) and a Yamaha hardware sequencer (QX21). I then moved on to Atari and Passport Master Track Pro, the first company I know of using the bar-graph-interface. This was at a time when Steinberg´s flagship Pro 24 looked like a hardware drum-machine.

During the years since (don’t count, please) I’ve had numerous encounters with software and hardware support. After a while I conclude that if the info you’re after isn’t in the manual (or FAQ) you’re, with some exceptions, just wasting your time trying to get a decent answer from support.
Sadly this applies to Arturia. I gave it I thorough try just becasue I was blown away by the Modular and Mini plugs. Owning a MiniMoog has been a dream of mine since the 70´s and a Modular was an unobtainable goal reserved for such luminaries as Keith Emmerson and Walter (Wendy) Carlos. The audio input on a Moog was the holy grail found. They even had presets and stayed in tune. This would be my dream-rig for painting soundscapes.
And then, total misery. How to trigger the audio input on acoustic instruments and soundfiles? After having several mail conversations with both Arturia and Apple I suggested ReWire support to Arturia. They then stopped responding to my mail. This was in 2006.

Being a problem solver by nature and reeeeaaally needing the feature I spent way too many hours during the following weeks. The key to the solution was to think hardware boxes and cable routing. I tried searching for freeware routing software for MIDI and audio but found nothing of interest at the time. Instead I finally used an external digital mixer and my multi-port MIDI-interface. After a few howlrounds I got it working.
About six months later I bought my first ”real” guitar and since then I’ve been lost in the wonderfull world of the six stringed electric guitar. During the last few years I’ve only fired up Logic to create drum patterns/songs for my guitar sessions. I then use a Tascam GTR1 to play the samples. It boots in a few seconds, has no viruses and has never crashed on me once. I'll admit it’s not perfect but I still love it!

Then in june I decided to get a Mac Mini to use in my new project, a guitar/percussion/computer trio, The TD´s.
When trying to install the Moogs on Snowleopard I realized I had to get an update patch and headed for Arturias homepage. I needed to log in. Ok…where is that e-mail confirmation? Found it! ” Incorrect username or password entered!” Hmmm.
So i tried the technical support contact page. That was in june, now it’s august. Guess what happend? Absolutly nothing, no answer from support. How absolutely unexpected;-)
I finally found the password recovery system and was able to log in. So now I only have to fork out the money for a dongle so I can use my, already paid for, software in both my jam/recording-spaces. Ain’t life sweet.
No wonder people, even professionals, use cracked software, there’s just too much hassle staying on the straight and narrow.

Sorry ’bout the rant but I think it’s a sad state when the users know more about the product than the support team.

Tommy D

“Confusion develops when a man has put everything in order”
The I Ching

Last edited by tommydahlman; 2nd August 2010 at 09:50 PM.. Reason: Spelling errors
Old 22nd January 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This thread hasn't been updated in some time, but I thought I'd share a video I created. It shows how to use the Modular (v2) to process audio from your DAW. Opens up a lot of creative opportunities!

Running Audio Through a Virtual Synth?? | Creative-Audio-Production.com
📝 Reply