The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What DAWs do you use or own?
View Poll Results: What daw(s) do you use/own?
Pro Tools
355 Votes - 32.13%
Cubase
297 Votes - 26.88%
Nuendo
114 Votes - 10.32%
Logic
375 Votes - 33.94%
Digital Performer
135 Votes - 12.22%
Sonar
107 Votes - 9.68%
Sequoia
13 Votes - 1.18%
Samplitude
71 Votes - 6.43%
Audition
30 Votes - 2.71%
Ableton Live
173 Votes - 15.66%
Reaper
148 Votes - 13.39%
Acid
27 Votes - 2.44%
Pyramix
12 Votes - 1.09%
Sadie
8 Votes - 0.72%
FL Studio
49 Votes - 4.43%
Tracktion
16 Votes - 1.45%
Ardour
21 Votes - 1.90%
Garage Band
86 Votes - 7.78%
Studio One
21 Votes - 1.90%
Other
85 Votes - 7.69%
Tape machine
26 Votes - 2.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th December 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What DAWs do you use or own?

Simple and quick answer. Which DAWs, do you use or own?

We are talking about multi-track daws, for recording and mixing purpose, not editing and mastering daws.

The objective is to get a perspective, to get a clue about the 'misterious' market share of each company.

OBS1: I'm not specifying each type of same daw (LE, full, student...).

OBS2: yesterday i posted same poll with problems (daws missing, no multiple choice).
Old 16th December 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'm glad you got it right this time but still can't understand why you did not include the popular psuedo DAW Reason/Record. So I voted PT, Live, and other
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not to be picky, but how is Reason+Record psuedo? Maybe theres something I dont know, but I think its a full DAW in every way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Garageband is a Workstation? Isn't that more a Playstation?

Anyway I think to give this thread a meaning it would be better to split it into particular application fields and ask their preferred DAW.

e.g.

Music Production, tracking and mixing - non classical

Recording, Editing and Mastering - Classical and Jazz

Mastering - non classical

Postproduction - sound for picture

just for fun - dillettants and amateurs
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I thought in putting Reason/Record... But didnt. Not a big fail. It might be the only "other" left. lolz.

But well, i think it came out pretty good.

The problem with older similar polls like this posted before it was the lack of options and "other" always getting bigger then many other daws.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum ➑️
Garageband is a Workstation? Isn't that more a Playstation?

Anyway I think to give this thread a meaning it would be better to split it into particular application fields and ask their preferred DAW.

e.g.

Music Production, tracking and mixing - non classical

Recording, Editing and Mastering - Classical and Jazz

Mastering - non classical

Postproduction - sound for picture

just for fun - dillettants and amateurs

I think we should first get the actual percentage of user, to have some clues, and after having that numbers, try to find out how people are using their daws.

If we add mastering/editing daws there the list would be so big that the research might lose its focus. Sound Forge, CD Architect, Sonic Solutions, Sonic Studio, Wavelab... only from the top of my mind.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Self-selected polls aren't worth much of anything. Sorry.

How many of thse things do you think have passed through this forum in the last decade? My guess is many, many hundreds. Even for those wanting to make some sort of statement, I suspect the burnout factor is surpassingly high.

I strongly suspect that at this point, the self-selecting response pool is comprised of those new to this site and naive about the efficacy of self-selected polling.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Self-selected polls aren't worth jack. Sorry.

How many of things do you think have passed through this forum?

I strongly suspect that the self-selecting response pool is comprised of those new to this site and naive about the efficacy of self-selected polling.
The point is to get a clue, not a 'true', definitive, analisys of the daw market.

It would be better to send 5k emails to many big, medium and small sized studios to get the idea. And i might do that one day.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What happened to the other poll?

I guess the results weren't going your way? I'm used to seeing this sort of thing is places like Afghanistan... but not Gearslutz!

No seriously, though, what does it matter who uses what? Who cares?

Find something that works for you at a price you can live with. Change how you work if your situation changes. Don't worry about who else uses what. What's the point of that?

Jimmy Page used a lot of Les Pauls. I prefer the longer scale length of Fenders. Am I as good of a guitar player as Mr. Page? No, but I'd rather be as good a Larry guitar player as I can be rather than a poor imitation of Jimmy Page.

That's why there are different versions of things in the first place.

And who cares what the numbers say? We all already know, Pro Tools is probably the most prevalent, followed by Logic, Cubase, blah blah blah.

If you can't get good work done on any of those, then you- you- have some deficiencies as an engineer that you need to address. Folks were getting great music done before people could record anything. It's what people do.

All the DAWs we have right now are a hiccup in time. Music is forever.
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mal ➑️

Quote!!!

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I guess the results weren't going your way? I'm used to seeing this sort of thing is places like Afghanistan... but not Gearslutz!

Find something that works for you at a price you can live with. Change how you work if your situation changes. Don't worry about who else uses what. What's the point of that?

Jimmy Page used a lot of Les Pauls. I prefer the longer scale length of Fenders. Am I as good of a guitar player as Mr. Page? No, but I'd rather be as good a Larry guitar player as I can be rather than a poor imitation of Jimmy Page.

And who cares what the numbers say? We all already know, Pro Tools is probably the most prevalent, followed by Logic, Cubase, blah blah blah.

If you can't get good work done on any of those, then you- you- have some deficiencies as an engineer that you need to address. Folks were getting great music done before people could record anything. It's what people do.

haha no, not at all. As i posted on both polls and pm'ed the moderators, two things went wrong, both times. The first poll i forgot so many daws and got an unfair dispute. The second time i forgot to put "multiple choice" on poll config, so people with multiple daws (as i) could not vote for all.

And the matter is "to know" or at least "to have a clue". Its not a matter of what is good not what is not. Far from that. The matter is to know what people are using.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds ➑️
The point is to get a clue, not a 'true', definitive, analisys of the daw market.

It would be better to send 5k emails to many big, medium and small sized studios to get the idea. And i might do that one day.
Understood.

It's just that I've seen a lot of these polls come and go -- I mean a lot -- and the results are typically all over the map, even in the same forum and same general time frame.

Since it's simply not going to be possible with the methodologies available to you to do a proper polling, maybe you'd learn more from simply asking folks what they thought about their DAW... more an in depth thing, like a focus group. Because anecdotal information is about all you're realistically going to be able to come up with in this sort of non-representative sample, man-in-the-street type survey.

Quote:
[...]

My DAW's gonna last forever.

They're going to be shouting its name from the hilltops ten thousand years from now.

Same thing with my OS. XP forever!

heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
Self-selected polls aren't worth much of anything. Sorry.

How many of thse things do you think have passed through this forum in the last decade? My guess is many, many hundreds. Even for those wanting to make some sort of statement, I suspect the burnout factor is surpassingly high.

I strongly suspect that at this point, the self-selecting response pool is comprised of those new to this site and naive about the efficacy of self-selected polling.

The people who are more likely to vote, the ones for whom the results are "important" tend to be those using the more obscure products who wish to validate their choice, by upping their DAW or bringing down the other one.

The Market Share thread has already started in with the Digi-bashing. What a surprise. I strongly suspect that it would be the Pro Tools users who are least likely to vote, as they are the most likely to think that what other people use is a non-issue.

there have been so many of these as blue says, but there has often been an agenda behind them.
People talk like they are interested in market share, but it's about bragging rights
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
The people who are more likely to vote, the ones for whom the results are "important" tend to be those using the more obscure products who wish to validate their choice, by upping their DAW or bringing down the other one.

The Market Share thread has already started in with the Digi-bashing. What a surprise. I strongly suspect that it would be the Pro Tools users who are least likely to vote, as they are the most likely to think that what other people use is a non-issue.

there have been so many of these as blue says, but there has often been an agenda behind them.
People talk like they are interested in market share, but it's about bragging rights
Agreed to some point.

But I'm a PT user here.

About the PT bashing, i can quote a moto used in restaurant business:

If your restaurant is good to one client, he will tell to two friends.
If your restaurant is bad to one client, he will tell to another ten.

Insatisfied clients are always more 'visible' then the satisfied ones.
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cool

you know what's frustrating me these days? I've been trying to use daws other than sonar and protools recently. I bought nuendo and ableton (nuendo was used, ableton is new, both cost a lot as an experiment but I figured it was worth it, nuendo will be good for my film composing and ableton is just too good of a concept to pass up).

I tried experimenting with reaper and various other low cpu use daws (I still am on an older machine) but I run into issue after issue, certain plugins don't show up for some unknown and unexplained reason, some hardware of mine just doesn't work properly or a control surface isn't properly implemented, the editing capability, while advanced, missing some single thing that I just feel I shouldn't have to live without in this day and age, stuff like that.

So it's all of the big cpu using daws for me. Nuendo is my main learning project right now, although already certain things in it are irritating me. Sonar really is the best daw I've used ever, it's unbelievable, every time I think "boy I wish I could do THAT" I look it up in Sonar and they already offer the feature, so I go back to Sonar.

No matter how hard I try, I have a feeling I'm going to end up back in sonar soon for my bread and butter work.

But ableton looks very promising. right now I'm still going through tutorials thoroughly, haven't tried making my own music yet in it. I figure it's worth learning properly... maybe it'll become my daw of choice? But I expect to find something missing from it that I need, or a plugin issue or something like that LoL.

Daws are frustrating beasts. Maybe if I hadn't gotten into Sonar way back in version 1 after fighting with cubase before that then I'd be easier to please. But it's really the daw that impresses me the most. Fewest issues (although they still exist). most useful features. great sound. But every daw has it's own things that are better in some way than it's competitors it seems....
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Why do the percentages add up to more than 100?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
@dkelley Re:Reaper

I've got to admit to being a big REAPER fan. Have you tried V3 recently? It's not just the speed, but the stability that keeps me a fan. I'm surprised that some plugins didn't work.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Been on Logic since Logic 5, I just got into pro tools a few years ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit ➑️
Why do the percentages add up to more than 100?
Because it is a multiple choice poll.

Shows "% of voters using/owning that daw". They will not sum up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

LOL ~ little quick to assume there, Larry.

To the rest of you complaining about "why another poll", just let someone collect their data. Theres certainly nothing wrong with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️

The results show Cubase, Protools and Cubase as far ahead of the rest. Hardly "obscure products."
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
wow, looks like steinberg wins so far
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Harrison Mixbus?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelley ➑️

Daws are frustrating beasts.
Not if you pick one and stick to it.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I use the Sony line almost exclusively.
Never had any technical problems.

DAWs are like cars.
They'll all get ya from point A to point B.
The differences in basic functionality are more subtle than fickle personal taste tends to be, (look/feel). It's a matured application platform.
They're all damn good! Anything more is splitting hairs.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino321 ➑️
The results show Cubase, Protools and Cubase as far ahead of the rest. Hardly "obscure products."
absolutely

what I am saying is that in real life these products are actually even more popular than they appear in the poll and the underdogs get a boost from their 'cult' followers.

Try doing a poll called "your favorite band" and you will get all these Indies, Punks, Death Metal and Rap-Rockers showing up. Do an actual study of record sales and concert grosses and Nickelback probably beats all of them put together.

Another case in point: the individuals who use Pro Tools almost to a man, the engineers in commercial studios, do not even visit the computer music forum in representative numbers, much less vote their share in the endless 'favorite DAW' polls.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was kidding about the fixed results... I voted again.

What I was serious about was the psychological gang mentality that a lot of us ( I include myself) have with DAWs. It's just a bit of software. Sometimes it's fun to think yours is the best.

But what works for me as a mixing and composing device (Logic) might not be the same tool that works best for someone doing post-production (Nuendo) which might still be a little different than the choice for someone who does electronic music (Ableton). This is still a different choice than what a half-wit mother****er who enjoys throwing his money away on overpriced bull**** just because the other half-wits he smokes out of the same bong with bought the same crap because they read in a stupid magazine that some asshole who actually has talent bought some over-rated bunk (Pro Tools). And produced mother****ing Nickelback with it, while all the angels cried in Heaven.

So you see, there's room for all, no need to get excited. It's just software, baby, it's just software.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I was kidding about the fixed results... I voted again.

What I was serious about was the psychological gang mentality that a lot of us ( I include myself) have with DAWs. It's just a bit of software. Sometimes it's fun to think yours is the best.

But what works for me as a mixing and composing device (Logic) might not be the same tool that works best for someone doing post-production (Nuendo) which might still be a little different than the choice for someone who does electronic music (Ableton). This is still a different choice than what a half-wit mother****er who enjoys throwing his money away on overpriced bull**** just because the other half-wits he smokes out of the same bong with bought the same crap because they read in a stupid magazine that some asshole who actually has talent bought some over-rated bunk (Pro Tools). And produced mother****ing Nickelback with it, while all the angels cried in Heaven.

So you see, there's room for all, no need to get excited. It's just software, baby, it's just software.
Ok. You did take issue with it initially, however.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversounds ➑️
Because it is a multiple choice poll.

Shows "% of voters using/owning that daw". They will not sum up.

Well that's no good. Anyone who finds this poll and sees the %s don't add up will think what kind of random poll is this?

Anyway I voter reaper & other. Project 5 isn't listed which doesn't surprise me as hardly anyone's heard of it let alone used it. And now Cakewalk have kicked it for touch. You also haven't got Guitar Tracks, another from Cakewalk. New daws don't excite me much anymore. They used to , I wish I could get the excitement back
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit ➑️
. New daws don't excite me much anymore. They used to , I wish I could get the excitement back
try getting your excitement from the music
πŸ“ Reply