Quantcast
Sony Compressor - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony Compressor
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sony Compressor

I know this is yesterdays news, but the Sony Oxford Dynamics plug is excellent. For some reason I have not got round to it til now, but I got the demo when I moved to PT6 last week. It is a fantastic plug in! Really useable. I have to confess that I dont much like the eq, but thats not as much a criticism of that plug in as much as of software eq in general, which I just cant seem to really be happy with. I have found that DUY shape can be a really good replacement, as it does the frequency thing without acting like an eq. It often sounds better than a normal eq. The restriction is that its hardly very surgical.
Anyway. Thought for the day.
J
Old 21st May 2003
Founder

The warming fucntion on the compressor is a 'must use' for me on lead vocals...

As a compressor I find it totally 'clear'

Jules
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I havent had much time to mess about with that but what struck me about it was that it was not so good mixes as on individual sources....but it's very early days for me. I imagine that a mix with a predominance of electronic sounds might be better enhanced. I found it really helped on a acoustic guitar my client bought in. It was a Simon and Patrick, and although I always rather liked them, it wasnt a great example. Rather wooly instead of woody. The dynamics plug was great...evened it out, brought it into the mix a bit more and the warmth replaced a bit of what it didnt have. Great tool.
J
Old 21st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the de-esser sidechain is a nice feature in the dynamics too .... and it realy works too.

the sony plugs both eq and dynamics have the best ctrl/flip (which brings the parameters up on the fader section of the main unit on Procontrol) settings. Again ... they're not just in random order, like it is the case with many plugins which makes CTL/Flip unusable.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I too just recently downloaded the Sony oxford plug-in demos, and the dynamics package was astounding. So far I've been using it mostly on drum submixes, electric guitars,and vocal tracks. I have not been able to get anything close to the same results (in most cases) with Renaissance Compressor,which was my usual go-to plug.

I'm guessing this must be how someone who only had a behringer composer would feel if he suddenly was given a rack of distressers, 1176's, LA2A's and a C2. Not implying that the Sony emulates any of those - just saying a whole new world of possibilities suddenly opens up.

I could not bear to remove the plug-in from the current project I'm working on, so i guess I've got 13 more days to buy it.
Old 23rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by littledog
I too just recently downloaded the Sony oxford plug-in demos, and the dynamics package was astounding. So far I've been using it mostly on drum submixes, electric guitars,and vocal tracks. I have not been able to get anything close to the same results (in most cases) with Renaissance Compressor,which was my usual go-to plug.

I'm guessing this must be how someone who only had a behringer composer would feel if he suddenly was given a rack of distressers, 1176's, LA2A's and a C2. Not implying that the Sony emulates any of those - just saying a whole new world of possibilities suddenly opens up.

I could not bear to remove the plug-in from the current project I'm working on, so i guess I've got 13 more days to buy it.
*ouch comparing waves to behringer...a lil harsh don't you think?
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I apologize for the unfortunate analogy, although there are many folks who really do like the Behringer Composers (at least the original ones). I certainly wasn't trying to compare the corporate philosophies of the two companies.

Waves certainly has some very innovative and nice sounding products, with excellent user interfaces. But what I was trying to describe was that in a few specific cases, the Sony Dynamics gave me a sound that seemed an order of magnitude "better", to the point where I couldn't bear to take the Sony off and put the Waves back on. Maybe a better comparison would be an SM57 to a U47. There are times when the Sm57 is the better mic, but when the U47 is "right" for the sound, there's no way you are going to be happy with the SM57 after hearing the U47.

Specifically, if i was forced to put it into words, I'd have to say the advantage of the Sony products was they seemed to maintain a better clarity and detail and did not add either any noticeable harshness or phasiness to the sound.

Am I just digging myself in deeper here, or does anyone understand what I'm ineptly trying to describe?
Old 24th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah I do!

I find myself rather dissappointed with plugins on a regular basis. Usually its the eqs. I find the 'best' plug ins to often be the ones that are not trying to something too 'normal'. The Sony Dynamics, as a straight forward compressor is really really good, and definitely has a role to play alongside the hardware in the room. I like that a lot. To me it says that it came out just right, whereas some plugins you cant help feeling that they thought 'well its not perfect, but we've got to go with it now'. I also love the DUY range for their unusual ways of achieving everyday tasks. I suppose the upshot is that there are some plugins that really hit the nail on the head, (and you can tell from peoples response almost immediately) and some that just dont. The Sony Dynamics does.
J
πŸ“ Reply