Quantcast
SSD or superior? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSD or superior?
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cool SSD or superior?

What do you guys find to be the better one?

I will maily be recording hardcore/metal and triggering an acoustic kit and recording the kits real cymbals with OH's.

I have no idea which one to spend my money on.

cheers matt
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
superior = better ? no ?
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
SSD
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatmatt ➑️

cheers matt
Me neither..maybe I get both..

And then there's XLN..
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
So i assume SSD is alot better than superior then.

well SSD it is.

thanks guys
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SSD 3.0 or SD2.0
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For full playability, flexibility, control, and ease of use, Superior is unbeatable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with feck completely, although I'm sure SSD is quite nice too. I think if you are less comfortable in your ability to mix drums, SSD might be the better choice, but honestly, with Superior 2 + the Metal Foundry add on, there's not much you couldn't achieve and with a far higher degree of flexibility. On some level it's an unfair comparison, as the SSD, is in some ways more like the Discrete Drums model than the Superior model.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the Metal Foundry add-on good for non-metal genres?

🎧 10 years
Both
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by everythinglouder ➑️
Yes. Here are some quick examples:

TMF Funky

TMF Funky 2

TMF Rock Jam
Old 28th November 2009
ysf
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatmatt ➑️

I will maily be recording hardcore/metal and triggering an acoustic kit and recording the kits real cymbals with OH's.

cheers matt
I own SSD 3.5 as well as Superior 2.2 with all the EZX expansions, but to be honest I LOOOOOOVE Addictive Drums better.
I play from a Roland TD20 and the feel to me is much morer responsive with AD. That said, if I had to choose between SSD and Superior its tough. I don't like the response as well with either. I have to play really hard to get good sounds. Its adjustable however. SSD is really good for metal as the kicks are all "clicky". There are a pretty good selection of snares but very few toms.
Superior 2 is great for expandablity but doesn't have many sounds included in the initial kits.
Both these programs sound good. A little less processed than AD. So you have to work at the sound a little more.
If you decide to go with triggered hihats and cymbals AD just released their new version that maps variable hihats very well. Superior is tricky to get the hihats working well. SSD does pretty good. Sounds more like open, closed , in between.

But again for less money you can get AD. Which is my "go to" program.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're going to be doing straight up Drumagog/Aptrigga/ProTrig replacement of the drums as is mostly done in metal, then SSD is the way to go. Those samples are mix-ready and almost pre-processed to exactly where they need to be to sit just about anywhere.

The main issue is that the kicks are a little too 'clacky' for metal and could take a bit of work, or perhaps blending with more metal kicks. The subs usually tend to be a bit too loose to use in fast double-kick sections too.

The snares and toms are for the most part great though.

SD2.0 is great as well, but I think is more for those who want to record electronically right in. That's not to say I haven't used it to replace acoustic drums, but it tends to be a little more limiting. The stock library is IMO the only good one for metal. The Metal Foundry expansion that just came out sounds terrible (once again IMO), way too high tunings and lack of power to be useful in metal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
AD is wonderful.........I'm so happy with my purchase.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes, yes, yes and yes.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
well im actualy thinking of going with superior because they both sound from what ive heard people saying to be equally as good in there own ways but im already familiar with ez drummer.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SSD, no contest
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
It really depends on what you are looking for.

I love SSD in a dense mix (think heavy rock/funk/metal) and some of their kits are epic (the Zep one...) and really nail those sounds you're after without needing too much mixing.

On the other hand, SD is very very powerful and sounds way more natural (articulations, layers...), but IMO it requires substantially more time to make it sound in the mix.

As an alternative, I would strongly consider Addictive Drums AND SSD (get the small pack with 2 extensions). You could get both for approx the same as SD and Addictive Drums will give you this more natural tone you may be after when SSD just doesn't make it for the track. That's what I'm using now, and I'm happy with that pair (EZPlayer Pro should be a small investment to consider in this case).

Good luck,
Sam
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
well I will be doing Mosh similar to emmure and confession but i like the powerful natural tone still i dont like clicky kicks i like a fat powerful kick with just enough high mids to make it stand out,

i also like to do processiong myself not that i think i can make it sound alot better or anything its just i like to do it myself and i feel like im cheating if i use little to no processing because its already done, which is why i am thinking of Not going for SSD

but ill definitly check out Addictive drums

thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't forget that we'll have Joe Barresi Evil Drums available soon for Superior

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

Rail
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where does Mixosaurus fit in? All of you who really love SSD and Superior, what do you think?
Old 29th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Im not sure if this will be of any help but a lot of slutz are posting their songs they made with Superior Drums 2.0, Addictive Drums and Steven Slate Drums in this thread I posted a couple days ago.

Post a song that you used drum samples on!

Check them out!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Where does Mixosaurus fit in? All of you who really love SSD and Superior, what do you think?
Mixosaurus is HYPER realistic - the hi-hats are completely on another level. Which does come at a price - the learning curve is steep, and you only get one set of drums (other than different kick beater options). On the songs that I need it, Mixosaurus fits the bill like no others. Short answer - there are several great options out there. I love it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
mixosaurus sounds by far the best out of all of them IMO
do you think it could work for me given my band sounds similar to this

CONFESSION - ON TOUR NOW... on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got both, SSD and SD2. For control, playabiliity (with e-kit), natural sound etc, SD2 is the absolute winner here. SSD is ΓΌber nice too, but with e-kit I luuuuv SD2.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For what its worth I have both and think they are worth every penny. They also sound different.

I saw the drum replacer demo at AES by SSD and it is pretty awesome. This is on my list.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haven't tried that one yet. I've been out of the studio travelling for quite a bit now, and having another HD to take with me is not the best option for the moment, so i can't really compare.

However, from what I've read about it, the way it's been recorded/programmed and layered, and from the demos I've hear, it seems to be above the other usual suspects in the category when it comes to articulations and feeling real.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
would ddrum triggers on an acoustic kit through and alesis trigger IO with mixosaurus work well recorded on a PT m-powered mac?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have SSD platinum and Superior with several expansions.

SSD is more processed and usually fits great into the rock mixes that I do. They're very punchy and aggressive. In fact, they seem to plug in quickly and sound good with little manipulations. Sometimes if you listen to the drums solo'd they sound almost too processed but, once they're in the mix, they sound great.
Of course SSD has many kits and a few room choices so it varies but, overall, they seem to work best for pop and rock (maybe metal but I haven't done any)

Superior sounds more natural to me. The program is much more tweakable. You can make them as natural or as processed as you want (if you have the time and figure out the program). I use both at different times depending on how I want the song to feel.

I feel that I've managed to dial in the hi hat better on Superior.

I also think Superior sounds better when jamming on my TD20 in solo mode.
It's less "clicky". (but you might like clicky)

I can't comment on the other programs. However, I don't feel like I need any others to fill any voids...except my sluttiness that makes me want to try the others.
TRA
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I own both. In a desert island scenario the winner is clearly SD 2.0. You can achieve any sound you want. SSD sounds how it sounds, and in a few cases it didn't work for me. SSD is very "in-yer-face" and sometimes a little abrasive while SD 2.0 can be anything you want it to.

I really don't like the cymbals or HHs in SSD...at all!
πŸ“ Reply