Quantcast
SSD or superior? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSD or superior?
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
AD and SSD on the inexpensive side-good sounds/less resource heavy, rock/pop vs metal/pop leaning. Mixosaurus on the high side-absolutely great sounding AND playing drums but resource heavy. Superior and BFD in the middle-great sounds/somewhat resource heavy. Take your pick.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatmatt ➡️
would ddrum triggers on an acoustic kit through and alesis trigger IO with mixosaurus work well recorded on a PT m-powered mac?
Not sure about the last bits of that equation, but live, we run acoustic shells, mesh heads, ddrum tiggers through an Alesis DM5 into Logic running SD2.0 and it's absolutely fantastic

I'm constantly amazed at how such a signal path:

stick
|
head
|
trigger
|
cable
|
midi signal
|
cable
|
interface
|
cable
|
software
|
sample
|
cable
|
interface
|
cable
|
mixer
|
cable
|
amp
|
cable
|
speaker

can happen with such an incredible low latency that it's really not noticeable in any negative way
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA ➡️
I really don't like the cymbals or HHs in SSD...at all!
As much as I like SSD, I have to agree with that... Even if I end up using SSD on a track, I find myslef more and more mixing up some cymbals/HHs from AD in the background to add a bit of realm to that.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've had extensive use of both in terms of actual sound and usefulness in professional mixing its no contest, Slate Drums all the way. But I'd still get both if you can.

I think Superior is really good and the MF pack is a must if you get it but its no match for the massive sounds and selection you get with SSD. I always see people saying SSD is good for a modern rock sound but I guess those people haven't used the Steely Dan kit which oozes vintage seventies tone or the led zep kit which is about as non modern as they come. I've been a Platinum owner and its amazing how much versatility you get with SSD due to the sheer amount of kits you get.

I do like Superior and I'm glad I bought it and I use it on certain songs and when I feel like being a tweaker. They definitely have more control. But I always load up an SSD kit for the final mix because it works in the mix so quickly. The two room sounds are really nice too. I did an 18 song demo for a coverband and used a different kit on each song and it was a blast. I've never had a problem with the cymbals in SSD but I often eq the low mids down a bit. Alex from SSD told me in an email that the new version of SSD coming out has all new cymbals fwiw.

I think another contender in drums is Oceanway. I've played around with it and the sounds are also really nice. But having SSD and Superior with MF pack is pretty badass for now.

Junk
Old 1st December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I got SSD a few weeks ago and it blew away everything else for snare and kick replacement. For metal especially, the typical combo of kick10 and snare12a is very nice. Superior is much better for articulation, and if youre going to have a lot of velocity nuances I would use that with hard kick and snare overlays from SSD. The room responses in any of the superior kits are much better than SSD, but if you can only get 1 definitely stick with SSD.
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumSamples ➡️
Don't forget that we'll have Joe Barresi Evil Drums available soon for Superior

https://www.platinumsamples.com/JoeBarresi.html

Rail

-Evul Knievel- .a m a z i n g.d r u m s.
Old 17th December 2009 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Well after using SSD and Superior 2

I have to say S2 is the clear winner
Why?

More diverse sounds tons of cool libraries
More organic and less processed sounds (S2 allows you to to do it yourself)
User Interface is so much easier in S2 routing to multi-out in SSD/Kontakt is a pain in arse.
Super fast load times in S2
Nicer room tones in S2
More flexibility (ie different mics) and control in S2
Better cymbals
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I'd say the exact opposite actually. SSD has more diversity out the box by far. It has so many unique sounds it gives me a headache when I have to choose. Steely Dan fat 70s sounds, vintage John Bonham Led Zep sounds, Snare 19 for reggae/ Stewart Copeland, tons of metal sounds that are perfect for that genre, the super aggressive Abe Cunningham Deftones model, the fat Nirvana kit, the funky Chili Peppers kit, and I haven't even scratched the surface. How anyone can deny that there is world of variety from SSD is mind boggling. There are over 40 preset kits for pete's sake.

I've been using Superior for the past few weeks (with Metal Foundry) and I really like it a lot and it certainly sounds and plays great. I've been using it with SSD to gain more access to some cymbals and occasionally I'll mix one of the snares with an SSD snare. But for the most part, SSD has been my knight and shining armour for drums. And the NRG room sound is great. For routing to multiple outs, SSD is a bit tricky at first but once you know how to do it, its easy.

Junk

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJunk ➡️
For routing to multiple outs, SSD is a bit tricky at first but once you know how to do it, its easy.

Junk
It's far easier and less buggy in S2 you can route to multiple outs in once click and in Kontakt you have to setup you kit then route each drum manually sure it's easy but it's time consuming.
The User interface in Kontakt is not as easy as S2 and I am using the the full version rather than the player.
Plus not to mention the bugs that are still there in kontakt 4 multi-outs
S2 is way less buggy than Kontakt (although NI bugs are getting fewer)
📝 Reply