Quantcast
Waves SSL bundle vs. Sonnox Oxford Essential - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waves SSL bundle vs. Sonnox Oxford Essential
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves SSL bundle vs. Sonnox Oxford Essential

I currently use Logic 9's built-in plugs for everything but want to take the plunge for a more high-end set, and have narrowed it down to these two. They're going to be my go-to EQ / comp plug-ins in particular.

I'm currently demo'ing them both and think they both sound excellent but was wondering what you guys think, which would be. I know I would benefit from both but that's not fiscally feasible at the moment.

Thanks for any comments.
Old 27th November 2009
GCL
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have both. I really like the Sonnox EQ and use it all the time (but sometimes I'll use Logic's Channel EQ, which is also very good).

I also use the SSL Comp a lot (but have recently been replacing it with Logic's Multipressor). Logic's built-ins IMO are pretty damn good.

If I had to pick one, I'd keep the Sonnox.
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was going to say ...I have recently "rediscovered" Logic's stock plugs. The plugs that come with Logic, as many folks will attest, are not throw aways by any means. Frankly, I think they are under-rated. Just because it is stock, does not mean it's inferior.

Having said that, I agree with previous poster almost 100%. I do have the Waves SSL bundle. I really like the gates and comp in the E channel. Love the SSL two bus comp. It has a certain mojo, for sure. Do not care for the SSL Eq. Sonnox far superior, in every way - especally features and functionality. Unfortunately, only demo'd the Sonnox, but fell in love with it. I would have to agree:

1) Sonnox
2) Logic Channel Eq
3) SSL eq

These days a plug has to low me away for me to consider it, as I have to see the incremental value in a 3rd party plug. So far Sonnox and especially Dynamic Spectrum Mapper do that. The Waves yes - but only for the comps.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have you considered the Sonalksis essentials bundle?

Incredibly versatile plugs with real analogue mojo - my go to EQ and gate, and a fantastic compressor even though I generally use more colored comps: Stillwell 1176/DBX, URS Console Strip Pro (SSL, Distressor), T-Racks LA-2A/Fairchild etc

Sonalksis - Quality Digital Audio Software
📝 Reply