Quantcast
Soundtools Echoboy vs. Logic delay plugins - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundtools Echoboy vs. Logic delay plugins
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Soundtools Echoboy vs. Logic delay plugins

I've heard some great things about the Echoboy delay plugin and I'm wondering how it compares to Logic's stock delay plugins in terms of sound quality... is it worth shelling out the extra $ for the Echoboy? I thing the Logic ones sound o.k. but I'm not particularly "blown away" by them.
Old 27th November 2009
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I really love Echoboy.

I was messing about last night and set up my midikeyboard controller to tab through presets in Logic and used Echoboy as a test program.

Forgot how many great sounds you can get with Soundtoys especially when you start digging into them.

The actual sound QUALITY is really great as well.

R.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes yes yes and yes, it's worth it. And in the bundle you'll get other great plugs too. It was also one of our 2007 yearly awards, and I'm still in love with it.

The Sonic Joy Awards 2007 - AudioNewsRoom

You won't regret it. There should be a demo available, so why don't you try it? thumbsup
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the feedback. When people talk about this plugin it's almost always with a lot of enthusiasm. Trying out the demo is a good idea, I didn't know it was available- thanks for that tip. thumbsup
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i hated the demo....

it had me fiending to buy it (still does). but i have to hold unto my limited cash.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes. Echoboy will solve all your delay needs. It freaking awesome. The way it creates depth and width is fantastic.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I bought UAD time cooper when it was on special ,but Soundtoys are on my "very soon " buy List.Great plug ins ,nothing comes close to echoboy
Old 19th October 2018
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just curious, isn't delay just delay? I mean, what's so special about Echo Boy that can't be achieved with, say, FL Studio's Fruity Delay Bank, EQ and saturation? All of which could be packaged in Patcher for later reuse.

Everyone says it's the best delay plugin but to me that sounds like saying "the best sine wave generator in the world"—a sine is a sine.
Old 19th October 2018 | Show parent
Mho
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox ➡️
Just curious, isn't delay just delay? I mean, what's so special about Echo Boy that can't be achieved with, say, FL Studio's Fruity Delay Bank, EQ and saturation? All of which could be packaged in Patcher for later reuse.

Everyone says it's the best delay plugin but to me that sounds like saying "the best sine wave generator in the world"—a sine is a sine.
Agree
Old 20th October 2018
Here for the gear

All of the Soundtoys plugins are really fun because they're kind of simple black boxes with only 4 knobs, and when you turn knobs really interesting and musical things happen. But it's not a mystery either, you can kind of see what's going on with them. The plugins really are like interesting toys. They also sound amazing and come with great presets.

Their PrimalTap plugin is my favorite for delay. It's really easy to setup 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 etc. note delays but then tweak it to make it unique and not boring (i.e. you can easily pan and adjust the mix or setup 2 delays panned out, in sync, etc.)
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It's just that people are going around hailing EchoBoy as the best sounding delay plugin, and frankly I think it's just people trying to justify their purchase. Saying one delay plugin sounds better than another is like saying Bob spells "potato" better than Jon. You could argue that EchoBoy's saturation and filters modify the signal in a pleasant way, and that its user interface makes getting usable results easier.

From EchoBoy's user manual:
Quote:
What the musical world has learned is that echoes sound better when the repeat does NOT sound exactly like the input signal.
So it's basically a digital delay plus FX and little bit of internal signal routing, all conveniently packaged into a single plugin with a pretty UI over it that costs an ambitious $199. But we all know this price is meaningless—what they want you to do is buy the bundle, like NI with Komplete.
Old 20th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

You'd think so but no.
Old 20th October 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Delay is only as cut-and-dried as a sine wave if you are using a single, vanilla delay and you want it to be sonically pristine. Once you start getting into things like saturation, color, panning, feedback, emulating the nonlinearities of classic delay units, filtering, etc., there's all kinds of room for sonic nuance. Then there's the whole question of user interface, how the sonic options are presented to and controlled by the user.

Sonic nuance and UI are two things Soundtoys is really good at, and Echoboy is an excellent example of both. Hence the enthusiasm.

I haven't used Logic's delay, but even comparing Echoboy to something like PSP's Echo -- Echo is a quality plug, and I can get some very good sounds out of it, but the interface makes my brain hurt. Five minutes with it is enough to make me appreciate just how good the Soundtoys folks are at usability.
Old 20th October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's just that people are going around hailing EchoBoy as the best sounding delay plugin, and frankly I think it's just people trying to justify their purchase. Saying one delay plugin sounds better than another is like saying Bob spells "potato" better than Jon. You could argue that EchoBoy's saturation and filters modify the signal in a pleasant way, and that its user interface makes getting usable results easier.

From EchoBoy's user manual:

So it's basically a digital delay plus FX and little bit of internal signal routing, all conveniently packaged into a single plugin with a pretty UI over it that costs an ambitious $199. But we all know this price is meaningless—what they want you to do is buy the bundle, like NI with Komplete.
You could ask that question about any musical instrument or piece of gear; why is this (optical, Fet. VCA etc.) compressor different from that, all they do is "compress", right? Why is this (tube) guitar amp so special, it's just the Fender Bassman (RCA radio) circuit repackaged and re-realized?

Why is a Honda different from a Bmw? They both have AWD, the same independent suspension systems, rack and pinion steering, 4 cylinder turbos .... well, you get the idea.

Soundtoys Echo Boy is awesome because of the "design" - the signal flow and saturation algorithms are superb, as is the automatable tweak parameters and as mentioned, the modeling of classic compression built into the design: pump, opto, crush, dirt and others are integrated in such a way that YOU, as the programmer and create sounds and effects that are not easy, if not impossible to achieve on other plugs. The Echo Boy plugin is so versatile you can use as anything from a simple widener to cavernous reverb to a distortion box, falnger, chorus, tape delay and about a hundred other things.

I'd suggest downloading the free demo and getting your feet wet before passing judgment - you might find its multi-purpose nature a swiss army knife of sorts.
Old 21st October 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp11 ➡️
You could ask that question about any musical instrument or piece of gear; why is this (optical, Fet. VCA etc.) compressor different from that, all they do is "compress", right? Why is this (tube) guitar amp so special, it's just the Fender Bassman (RCA radio) circuit repackaged and re-realized?

Why is a Honda different from a Bmw? They both have AWD, the same independent suspension systems, rack and pinion steering, 4 cylinder turbos .... well, you get the idea.

Soundtoys Echo Boy is awesome because of the "design" - the signal flow and saturation algorithms are superb, as is the automatable tweak parameters and as mentioned, the modeling of classic compression built into the design: pump, opto, crush, dirt and others are integrated in such a way that YOU, as the programmer and create sounds and effects that are not easy, if not impossible to achieve on other plugs. The Echo Boy plugin is so versatile you can use as anything from a simple widener to cavernous reverb to a distortion box, falnger, chorus, tape delay and about a hundred other things.

I'd suggest downloading the free demo and getting your feet wet before passing judgment - you might find its multi-purpose nature a swiss army knife of sorts.
This is the reply I was after, unlike the usual "EchoBoy is just the best-sounding delay plugin you can get", as if it was some sort of politically correct universal truth that needs no explanation. I'll be trying the demo. Thanks!
📝 Reply