Are there any good $4-500 laptops? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are there any good $4-500 laptops?
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Are there any good $4-500 laptops?

Hi...

I've always been a mac user and currently use a macbook for my home recording. I baby it since I have all my money invested in it so it stays at home clean and pampered.

However, I'd really like to find a good pc laptop that I can kinda use as a kind of beater computer....use, abuse, take it outside..and not hafta worry about it cause its relatively inexpensive.

Something that I can do very light sketch recording, backing track/loops playback to practice guitar with, HDMI to play movies on tv, use as a glorified mini dvd player so I can plop the laptop on a synth keyboard and watch piano playing intructional vids and also take outside to do some digi photography with.

A problem is that whenever I start to look online there is so many millions of models that come and go week to week, I just get fed up trying to figure out what is the best deal/features and give up.....its kinda what I like about macs in that respect..theres a literal handful of choices and you know what each are capable of thats that....but the pc side is waaaaaay too many models to wrap my head around

I guess most have several usb ports....I'd like an HDMI connection....firewire is not a necessity...and I guess any kind of card reader or express port would be gravy but not essential for my purposes. So usb + HDMI would be minimum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester ➑️
Hi...

I've always been a mac user and currently use a macbook for my home recording. I baby it since I have all my money invested in it so it stays at home clean and pampered.

However, I'd really like to find a good pc laptop that I can kinda use as a kind of beater computer....use, abuse, take it outside..and not hafta worry about it cause its relatively inexpensive.

Something that I can do very light sketch recording, backing track/loops playback to practice guitar with, HDMI to play movies on tv, use as a glorified mini dvd player so I can plop the laptop on a synth keyboard and watch piano playing intructional vids and also take outside to do some digi photography with.

A problem is that whenever I start to look online there is so many millions of models that come and go week to week, I just get fed up trying to figure out what is the best deal/features and give up.....its kinda what I like about macs in that respect..theres a literal handful of choices and you know what each are capable of thats that....but the pc side is waaaaaay too many models to wrap my head around

I guess most have several usb ports....I'd like an HDMI connection....firewire is not a necessity...and I guess any kind of card reader or express port would be gravy but not essential for my purposes. So usb + HDMI would be minimum.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
i dont sxee any reason why you couldnt find a decent laptop to record audio and have a video card w hdmi for under 500.

just goto ebay and noodle around.

io have a dell dualcore that i can run moderatly large sessions on, and use usb midi control keyboards w ease.
i run PT8, reason, cd archetect and record with no issues.

all for 330 bucks.
just b sure to buy from a good seller with thousands of transactions.

Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Also watch out for Celeron, AMD and Pentium dual core chips. There's nothing wrong with any of them but a core 2 duo, no matter how slow will blow them away and might only cost 30 bucks more or even the same price.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
yeah, i've just been scrambling around this morning looking at black friday deals.... theres some c2d's out there today at $549 and less..but then i find something missing like an hdmi port. "oh wow...and e34/54 slot too...don't really need it....oh, but no hdmi" lol

so again i've been driven crazy.... i'll see what shows up in the next few weeks deal-wise i guess
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I got a HP Dv5 for $449 at office Depot on a sale.

I run Ubuntu on it for surfing but left Vista on the other side.
I'm planning to use it for audio (mobile)

It is a Intel Dual Core 2 Duo. T6500
3gig ram..

But the cool stuff. It has HDMI (which I don't really use yet)
But when I got it on sale (because of price)
I was shocked when I opened the box to find out it has...
a Express port (so I will be buying a RME Card buss for my Digiface) Then my SSL Alpha Link can be 24ch mobile unit.

And it has a port on the side for eSATA..(awesome for external hard drives).

So I really wasn't planning to use this one for mobile. That stuff wasn't even listed on the sales info and there wasn't one on display. So When I got it home I was like Score!! Runs great and should be cool when I get the RME card and external hard drive.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well...in my opinion the HP quality sucks. tutt
Better go for a Lenovo ThinkPad. Very reliable and nice built machines.
The SL series are around your budget, have all the required ports, anti-shock HDD, spill-resistant keyboard and anti-glare screen(which I find essential for working outside).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i'll look at that hp, thanks

however, concerning lenovo, i found this:

Newegg.com - lenovo G550(2958-A4U) NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T6600(2.20GHz) 15.6" 3GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 5400rpm DVDΒ±R/RW Intel GMA 4500MHD - Laptops / Notebooks

it seemed to get some good reviews...i think the downside was that it actually dropped the express port from the previous G530 model it was upgraded from...which is weird i guess

but then i go to a place like tigerdirect and see alarming reviews like these:

Lenovo G550 2958-A4U Notebook PC – Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2GHz, 3GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, 15.6” WXGA, Windows XP Pro/Windows 7 Professional at TigerDirect.com

will not run windows 7....is not a 2.2 ghz processor??

see, this is the kinda crap i keep running into when researching a pc that drives me nuts

will it do this...will it do that..will it run this os...will it not run that os lol
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I was talking to you about Lenovo ThinkPad. Those laptops in the links you gave are not ThinkPads.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morlock ➑️
I was talking to you about Lenovo ThinkPad. Those laptops in the links you gave are not ThinkPads.

theres a difference between lenovo calling a laptop a notebook or a thinkpad....regardless of specs??!! oh man heh
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester ➑️
theres a difference between lenovo calling a laptop a notebook or a thinkpad....regardless of specs??!! oh man heh
Mmm...Yes! The ThinkPad series are better than other series of laptops produced by Lenovo.
At least in my opinion........and you asked for opinions,right?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i see.. thanks. i don't want you to think i was dissing you in the previous post
Lives for gear

those netbooks are cute

you can put ubuntu or some other linux in them and they should fly
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i think your confusing notebook with netbook

notebook = laptop. and netbooks are those small atom processor powered things....i imagine they are way under-powered for even the simple things i'm looking to do with it, no? yes?
πŸ“ Reply