Quantcast
Charles Dye AC1 method for PC - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Charles Dye AC1 method for PC
Old 26th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Charles Dye AC1 method for PC

Im trying to reproduce this method on a pc base daw and was wondering if someone could help me out with a few things? First, I dont have AC1 and Im looking for a replacement, I have PSP MixSaturator, which has a Preamp and Valve setting, would this give me the same results as AC1, or the same idea? I know that he places the AC1 in the first insert of every track but is he, or would I also want to put it on the first insert of a buss, drum,guitar,etc, when Ive already put it on the first insert of all the original tracks? Any guidance with this technique or suggestions on a better plug to do this job would be Much appreciated.
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think he does that...? On his DVD he placed it on the master.

The PSP Mixsaturator will probably work for a similar approach.
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In his video, I believe he placed DUY Tape and Valve on each channel......
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Oh my mistake, I dont own or even have seen the dvd Im just going on what Ive read. Maybe Ive misunderstood something along the way but I was sure that I read he puts AC1 on the first insert of every track mixing into it to mimic the affect of a analog desk??? Ok so if he is using DUY Valve would the PSP MixSaturator be like doing the same thing?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Bootsy's Ferric and Tessla work for this as well as URS Saturation (and many other combos: Magneto, Ferox, Tapebuss, PSP VW, PSP MixSat, LFAC/2",...)

Herwig
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like Bootsy's BootEQ MKII (nice saturation from the preamp section) on each track and Ferric on the master. Very "analogue"-ish.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I really love Bootsy-plugs, just my dual core not so much.. She can take a bunch of 'em, but TOO soon shes kneeling.. Maybe time for quadish life, but I just bought Superior Drummer 2 and Komplete 6, so no € to spend in the near future, damn..
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty ➑️
I like Bootsy's BootEQ MKII (nice saturation from the preamp section) on each track and Ferric on the master. Very "analogue"-ish.
I agree with everyone on the bootsy plugs, before I invested in some "upper level" plugs recently I was using just about every plug from bootsy...I think there Really good, I almost cant believe there free... Being intrigued by this Dye method I just recently read about I actually tried this first with BootEQ MKII with just the saturation section on and I honestly couldnt hear anything going on really, maybe I was just expecting a Holy Sh*t result? Anyway I picked up the PSP MixPack hoping the MixSaturator would give me a better result. I feel it was a step up but thought I would see what more experienced guys thought and suggest.

This was in the first post, any insight on this... would I want to put it on the first insert of a buss, drum,guitar,etc, when Ive already put it on the first insert of all the original tracks?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
what he did on that dvd (he stopped doing it years ago) was mix into ac1, in multi mono, with it on the first slot. i believe ac2 was at the end of the chain with comps (ssl emu's), duy wide and cranesong between them. i also remember they were enabled once the levels and mix were finished. it was focused on getting an ssl sound. you can check his forum at the womb Mix it Like a Record - The Womb

this can be done with much of the plugs mentioned already
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I guess that Charles might not completely agree with most of these post, because what he did on MILAR is:
- AC1 on the 2bus: AC1 is emulating SOLID STATE saturation and AC1 is the VERY ONLY plugin that does SOLID STATE saturation. The purpose - as most of you suggested - is to emulate the 2bus of a analog (again: SOLID STATE) console like an SSL or Neve (SSL in his case, IIRC).
The multi-mono mode has been chosen by him, because those console actually sum through two discrete mono channels and not a stereo channel. Technically, it produces even order harmonics (I always mix them up, so forgive me)
- DUY Valve and/or Tape on individual (or all of them, IIRC) channels: This is done to emulate TAPE saturation as it occurs when recording to tape. He probably tracked digitally, so there has been no tape saturation on the original recordings and he compensates for that by putting those plugs on the tracks. No need for AC1 here, as maybe the tracking went through a analog console and then to the harddrive, so we have some console-flavour already and just missing the tape-flavour. Tape saturation produces odd order harmonics. A similar thing to the DUY-stuff can be achieved by using Ferric, Tessla, BootEQMkII, AC2, Ferrox, Tape buss, ....

But in the end, it's all about introducing distortion into sterile digitally tracked and mixed material to let it "sound like a record". The trick is not to distort the hell out of all the tracks or even the 2bus alone, but to introduce small amounts of distortion to every little part of the mix which then piles up to an analogish sounding final mix.

EDIT: There's some super-great info on MILAR in some of the podcasts from the guys at The Project Studio Network Recording Podcast Is On The Air! where they did an interview with Charles. Goto their site and click the link to the PSN podcasts and find those with "Charles Dye" in their name. Listen to those! Invaluable information directly from Charles Dye about this exact topic.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
I guess that Charles might not completely agree with most of these post, because what he did on MILAR is:
- AC1 on the 2bus: AC1 is emulating SOLID STATE saturation and AC1 is the VERY ONLY plugin that does SOLID STATE saturation. The purpose - as most of you suggested - is to emulate the 2bus of a analog (again: SOLID STATE) console like an SSL or Neve (SSL in his case, IIRC).
The multi-mono mode has been chosen by him, because those console actually sum through two discrete mono channels and not a stereo channel. Technically, it produces even order harmonics (I always mix them up, so forgive me)
- DUY Valve and/or Tape on individual (or all of them, IIRC) channels: This is done to emulate TAPE saturation as it occurs when recording to tape. He probably tracked digitally, so there has been no tape saturation on the original recordings and he compensates for that by putting those plugs on the tracks. No need for AC1 here, as maybe the tracking went through a analog console and then to the harddrive, so we have some console-flavour already and just missing the tape-flavour. Tape saturation produces odd order harmonics. A similar thing to the DUY-stuff can be achieved by using Ferric, Tessla, BootEQMkII, AC2, Ferrox, Tape buss, ....

But in the end, it's all about introducing distortion into sterile digitally tracked and mixed material to let it "sound like a record". The trick is not to distort the hell out of all the tracks or even the 2bus alone, but to introduce small amounts of distortion to every little part of the mix which then piles up to an analogish sounding final mix.

EDIT: There's some super-great info on MILAR in some of the podcasts from the guys at The Project Studio Network Recording Podcast Is On The Air! where they did an interview with Charles. Goto their site and click the link to the PSN podcasts and find those with "Charles Dye" in their name. Listen to those! Invaluable information directly from Charles Dye about this exact topic.
Thank You very much for clearing that all up...Great info! Thanks for the link to I listened to a few last night, really enjoyed it.

Thanks to everyone else for all the input and the Correct info.
πŸ“ Reply