Quantcast
Help with lost files!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with lost files!!
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Unhappy Help with lost files!!

This may not be the ideal venue to pose my question, but I am really desperate.

I have been keeping my fairly large iTunes music on an OWC external hard drive. Recently I bought a new mac and was transferring files from my external hard drive to the new mac.

Here is where my stupidity comes into play. I wanted to make sure I transferred the most up-to-date files from my old mac, so I replaced the old iPhoto files on the external hard drive with the most recent ones from my old mac, my old Garageband files on the external hard drive with the most recent ones from my old mac, and my old iTunes music on the external hard drive with the most recent version from my old mac ... Oops! I totally forgot that I now kept my iTunes stuff on the external hard drive. All new ripped music automatically was stored there. So I replaced my entire iTunes music with a blank version of iTunes from my computer.

Is the music gone? Is there anything I can do to recover my files? Please help. I feel so sick I don't think I can eat any turkey or pumpkin pie.
Old 26th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
This has worked for me once in the past:

Computer Data Recovery, Mac Data Recovery Software, Mac Data Rescue, Digital Data Recovery Disk for Mac - Data Rescue 3

It takes ages to scan the drive, but is very thorough. Good luck!
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I was about to send the same exact thing the guy above me posted,

but good luck!
Old 27th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Would it be better to take it to an Apple store or a store that deals with data recovery rather than to purchase a 3rd party software and try it myself?
📝 Reply