Quantcast
Windows 7 or go MAC?... before you start laughing.... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windows 7 or go MAC?... before you start laughing....
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➑️
The I7 920 is a socket 1366 processor, won't fit the motherboard. The reason I went with the I5 750 is that early reports are it out performs the 920. The I5 is a socket 1156 processor and there is a Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield for the socket 1156 platform for $280 (same price as the 920) that fits the listed motherboard if you really want to go that route. The I5 uses dual channel ram instead of triple channel also. I'd get the CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V for $90. Case is OK.
I think I'll go with your original build based upon what you're saying. I'm sure it's going to be more than fast enough anyway!

Now all I have to do is integrate a firewire port and USB 2.0.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
SANDS's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I use Cubase 5 and I run both Mac 10.5.8 and PC Win 7 32

Both run very well

With the newest update of 5, both machines work great, midi editing problems were fixed and other small things too.

Can complain about either machine.

Buy both. Get a new mac and build a cheap PC, get a card that has digital i/o to run things back and forth or setup a network, maybe a vst link setup, use the hell out of both.
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
ivmike's Avatar
I've recently moved from PC laptop (running XP) to a MacBook Pro (running Snow Leopard), as well as upgrading Cubase from SX3 to 5. I have to say, I am impressed with the performance of the software, the computer and the hardware. Keep in mind, I use FireWire boards and hard drives. I would run into issues where my PC would suddenly lose the FireWire (usually in the middle of a take) and I'd be forced to reboot the machine to re-establish the Firewire connection. Also, I ran into issues where I couldn't use the external HD while using the Firewire board (Alesis Multimix) as the information would "skip" (the processor couldn't keep up) and I'd be forced to move the entire project to the Desktop, in order to work with it there, then I'd have to move the project back to the HD.

All of my older 400 speed Firewire hardware runs smoother with the Mac. I haven't experienced any connection issues (like losing the Firewire) and the external HD is performing flawlessly now (faster and better than my old PC's internal HD). Perhaps PC isn't big on Firewire? I don't know, but I'm happier with everything since the switch to Mac.



YMMV
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Sugarnutz,

I looked through all of the stuff you posted and researched last night and everything looks good. I have it all added to my cart right now over at NewEgg... before I order I figured I'd get your opinion because you seem really knowledgable...

I want to make sure that I can hook up my Firewire Audio Interface. And I want to make sure I have a few other USB ports and a USB 2.0 as well.

What about the ability to add a CD/DVR writer down the road?

And when I get this stuff, can I just go through (like the website instructables.com) and plug everything in (making sure I'm grounded), and throw the Windows7 cd in? Or do I need to load drivers, etc. for the hard drives, etc.? In which order do you install them? I know this is alot, but I'm extremely new to building computers. I found the assembly to be fairly easy, it's the drivers and setting up and "tweaking" the memory I have a hard time understanding.

I even see people talking about installing Cubase on one hard drive and another hard drive for the rest of the computer. How is this done?
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
And do I need a sound card?
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Gear Addict
 
intolerance's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician ➑️
And do I need a sound card?
This worries me.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I'm not sure that you should build your own as (honestly with no offence) you seem to have quite large gaps in your knowledge when it comes to computers. A DVD R/W will also be a CD writer, you will need one to install windows and they cost only about Β£15

Windows 7 will install the system drivers during setup so you don't have to worry about that. You will want a proper audio interface (soundcard) and these won't come with your computer, a true audio tech shop is needed for these. If you went to a audio computer company you could probably get a deal on the audio interface and system and get it all built and tested before it even got to you.

Building a computer isn't that hard but you do need to have some skills in that area to track down issues otherwise you could find it costing a lot of time and money.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat ➑️
A plug requires X - it either gets it or it doesn't. There is no measurement of performance beyond it works or it doesn't. This equates to basically is there enough CPU overhead to run this plugin or not. My point is the difference between XP/Win7 in resources is honestly insignificant on a fast processor. And if you cant max your CPU on Win7 to begin with what does it really matter if you can get more headroom from XP anyway?
That's incorrect. The more instances you run and at higher sample rates, the more of (x) is required exponentially. Besides you can never have too much CPU power. As CPUs become more powerful, plug-ins also naturally become more complex. And that's because creative developers wont need to take as many shortcuts to cut down on resource usage. They can design much more faithful emulations.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmer ➑️
I'm not sure that you should build your own as (honestly with no offence) you seem to have quite large gaps in your knowledge when it comes to computers. A DVD R/W will also be a CD writer, you will need one to install windows and they cost only about Β£15

Windows 7 will install the system drivers during setup so you don't have to worry about that. You will want a proper audio interface (soundcard) and these won't come with your computer, a true audio tech shop is needed for these. If you went to a audio computer company you could probably get a deal on the audio interface and system and get it all built and tested before it even got to you.

Building a computer isn't that hard but you do need to have some skills in that area to track down issues otherwise you could find it costing a lot of time and money.
No offense taken, LOL heh I have no problem admitting I'm pretty good with a pre-assembled computer, haha. But I really want to learn and I've been reading. You can imagine how moronic I felt when I asked if I would need a CD drive and realized, duh no **** how would you install drivers, etc.? I've read up on everything else as far as the install goes. I'm pretty confident and ready to tackle that part. It was the drivers and getting everything loaded that I was worried about. If Windows will recognize and install everything, I have no problem there!

As for the sound card, I have a Firewire external audio interface, I was just wondering if the system will default this for all audio or whether I can purchase a seperate "generic" audio card to run regular speakers for Windows sounds, etc. And then have monitors for Cubase, Protools, to run through the audio interface.

Chris
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Sugarnutz's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician ➑️
I think I'll go with your original build based upon what you're saying. I'm sure it's going to be more than fast enough anyway!

Now all I have to do is integrate a firewire port and USB 2.0.
I believe the board has a built in firewire port, but I also included the $29 ADS PCI firewire card in the original list for your chosen audio interface, use the built in firewire for external hard drives and such. There is no conflict using two firewire cards (PCI & built in) as I do it with no problems. There's plenty of USB 2.0 built into the motherboard. An external firewire audio interface can handle windows sounds also, but I always disable those sounds in the OS. As far as playing CDs and DVDs the external firewire is better, but the motherboard has built in audio if you want to use that, just kinda convoluted using two audio interfaces (I always disable the built in sound for an audio computer with an external sound interface). Don't let folks deter you if you're inexperienced at this, everybody was there at one point. The Win 7 install DVD should take care of everything with the exception of your external firewire audio interface which a drivers disc should have came with, better yet the latest appropriate drivers from the manufacturers website.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➑️
I believe the board has a built in firewire port, but I also included the $29 ADS PCI firewire card in the original list for your chosen audio interface, use the built in firewire for external hard drives and such. There is no conflict using two firewire cards (PCI & built in) as I do it with no problems. There's plenty of USB 2.0 built into the motherboard. An external firewire audio interface can handle windows sounds also, but I always disable those sounds in the OS. As far as playing CDs and DVDs the external firewire is better, but the motherboard has built in audio if you want to use that, just kinda convoluted using two audio interfaces (I always disable the built in sound for an audio computer with an external sound interface). Don't let folks deter you if you're inexperienced at this, everybody was there at one point. The Win 7 install DVD should take care of everything with the exception of your external firewire audio interface which a drivers disc should have came with, better yet the latest appropriate drivers from the manufacturers website.
You are the man! I appreciate your advice. I looked farther into the motherboard now. I do see that it comes with the I/O panel, plenty of USB and an additional Firewire. I will disable all OS sounds and then worry about all Cubase and PT sounds through the firewire audio interface. Thanks for your extreme understanding on the newb questions. It's alot to learn for a guy that usually buys off the shelf. I'm good with the functionality of the computer, the structure of the computer I'm starting to get familiar with thanks to this post!

So once Windows7 is up and loaded, then I can install the audio interface drivers and then plug her in? Sounds pretty simple.

Again I really appreciate your input. I'm excited to get this stuff started!
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Stuff is scheduled for delivery next week! Will report back!
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Lives for gear
 
79_Limited's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technician ➑️
Stuff is scheduled for delivery next week! Will report back!
Very cool. Let us know how you like it. I am shopping myself.
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited ➑️
Very cool. Let us know how you like it. I am shopping myself.
Will do!

A few people told me to go out to Radio Shack or something and grab a grounding strap. Others say just make sure you dont do it on the carpet in socks haha. Keep your wrist or something touching the case at all times?
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 614545
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 38781
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
replies: 295 views: 73944
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181234
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump