Quantcast
What to do with this computer? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What to do with this computer?
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
  #31
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
or maybe i could get one of these and cut it down?


Belkin FireWire 3-Port PCI Express Card FireWire adapter - PCI Express - 3 ports
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
  #32
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
also, it seems impossible to find short-length PCIe cards for what I need, which it seems is what this case requires.... It seems I may have to either rehouse components or spend money on another computer. I have some old cases. Is it hard/dangerous to rehouse components? I've never really done anything more than putting in RAM/cards...
Changing cases is more comprehensive because you essentially have to unhook EVERYTHING.... but as long as you remember to hook everything back up and a HUGE thing to remember is the spacers under the MOBO that separate the conductive parts of the MOBO from the chassis then you'll be good....
Don't tell too many people or you'll ruin an entire industry but building/re-casing/upgrading is actually a very DIY type thing
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
  #33
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
Changing cases is more comprehensive because you essentially have to unhook EVERYTHING.... but as long as you remember to hook everything back up and a HUGE thing to remember is the spacers under the MOBO that separate the conductive parts of the MOBO from the chassis then you'll be good....
Don't tell too many people or you'll ruin an entire industry but building/re-casing/upgrading is actually a very DIY type thing
Well I was thinking I might be able to cut down the spacers on the cards to make them fit, but that's kind of a destructive way of going about things plus I dont really know if theyd fit even beyond that. Is there a danger of frying things though?
Old 2nd December 2009 | Show parent
  #34
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
Well I was thinking I might be able to cut down the spacers on the cards to make them fit, but that's kind of a destructive way of going about things plus I dont really know if theyd fit even beyond that. Is there a danger of frying things though?
No, not if you completely power down and unplug the PSU from the wall, grounding yourself and using an antistatic wrist wrap is a good idea... although I've done repairs without a wrist wrap a few times...

Everything uses a standard and its all downward compatible.... A micro ATX motherboard will fit into a mid tower case designed for a full ATX board
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #35
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
I called dell and asked them what the cards were technically called and they said they are "low profile" cards and most of the components would not fit in a normal case.
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
I called dell and asked them what the cards were technically called and they said they are "low profile" cards and most of the components would not fit in a normal case.
Low profile cases really do limit your upgradability....
Try a case swap
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #37
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
Low profile cases really do limit your upgradability....
Try a case swap

they said most of the components would not fit in a wider case. i can find low profile firewire cards, but I was hoping to use uad plugins, which i dont think they make anything that will work?
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
they said most of the components would not fit in a wider case. i can find low profile firewire cards, but I was hoping to use uad plugins, which i dont think they make anything that will work?
They're trying to sell you some BS..... Plain and simple
Its a microATX motherboard... 3.5 inch HDD mounted sideways and 5.25 inch DVD drive mounted sideways
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
They're trying to sell you some BS..... Plain and simple
Its a microATX motherboard... 3.5 inch HDD mounted sideways and 5.25 inch DVD drive mounted sideways
but what would i do with the pcie cards? they are not as wide as those cases?
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
but what would i do with the pcie cards? they are not as wide as those cases?
What PCIe card do you have now for it?
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
What PCIe card do you have now for it?
I'm not sure but they are the low profile cards which I believe are half height.
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
I'm not sure but they are the low profile cards which I believe are half height.
Yes... but most prebuilt machines don't even have any expansion cards...
Everything (Audio, video, LAN) is integrated into the MOBO.
If for some reason anything is in a PCI slot then in most cases you can just switch the low-pro backplate with a full sized backplate... most of them screw right off
Or else whatever is in a PCIe slot is not a necessary component (unless it is actually a video card)
I can't think of anything else a prepackaged machine would have by way of PCIe
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent
  #43
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
Yes... but most prebuilt machines don't even have any expansion cards...
Everything (Audio, video, LAN) is integrated into the MOBO.
If for some reason anything is in a PCI slot then in most cases you can just switch the low-pro backplate with a full sized backplate... most of them screw right off
Or else whatever is in a PCIe slot is not a necessary component (unless it is actually a video card)
I can't think of anything else a prepackaged machine would have by way of PCIe
i think you're right. it seems the only expansion slot used is for networking. im still not very comfortable with transferring everything, but it means I wouldnt be able to use uad cards, which I very much like. They make a PCIe, but they told me the brackets are wider than that of a low-profile card.
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
i think you're right. it seems the only expansion slot used is for networking. im still not very comfortable with transferring everything, but it means I wouldnt be able to use uad cards, which I very much like. They make a PCIe, but they told me the brackets are wider than that of a low-profile card.
I tell you what... watch a few youtube videos of people installing mobos in cases....

Avoid carpeted areas while working on your PC, and touch some piece of unpainted grounded metal before you start....
also pick up a 5 dollar antistatic wrist wrap at your local computer store...
lastly don't use a magnetized screwdriver. the magnets really aren't that powerful that they will mess something up but better to err on the side of caution
All that sounds serious but its really not a big deal

This is a rough draft of the order you'll wanna work in
(remember to keep all screw types separate)

1. turn off computer...
2. Unplug PSU from wall
3. Unplug all peripherals (mouse, Keyboard, monitor, Etc)
4. This is one people always forget... Push your power button with the computer unplugged to discharge any excess electricity
5. Take off the side panel
6. Unplug your case fans from the motherboard
7. Unplug all the front panel display stuff from your MOBO
8. Unplug the 20+4 pin power cable on the MOBO and the 4 or 8 pin CPU cable.... both of these are going to your MOBO from your PSU
9. Unplug your Molex or SATA power cables and also the actual SATA cable going to each DVD or hard drive....
10. Unscrew the 4 screws on the back of the case securing your power supply and sit your power supply to the side
12. Unscrew the screws securing your hard drives and Optical disk drives and sit them (the drives) to the side.
13. Unscrew 6 to 9 motherboard screws and remove the mobo
For a stock heatsink you have no reason to remove the heatsink and CPU... just leave it attached to the motherboard
See the little nut looking spacers below the motherboard that the screws went into? those are the spacers I was referring to... they keep your motherboard from directly touching the metal plate of the case (Which would be very very bad)
cases are different... some have screwless installation.. in some you can remove the tray the mobo sits on for easy installation

Now to install in the new case.... just reverse engineer what you just did...
1. Throw the MOBO in first.... Remembering the spacers.... Your new case should come with spacers and screws to use
2. Then throw in all of your case fans....
3. Secure Hard drives and CD/DVD drives
4. secure the PSU in the same way it was in the old case
Then connect everything
5. 20+4 pin power, 4 or 8 pin CPU power.... SATA cables from drives to motherboard.... SATA power or molex cables from PSU to Drives. Fans into MOBO slots or directly to Molex on PSU
6. Connect your from panel stuff to the mobo... there will be a spot in the corner that is color coded for the front power, LED and HD lights... and RESET button
7. Connect the front panel audio, FW or USB to the jumpers on the MOBO labeled audio, USB and 1394
8. Replace the side panel....
9. Plug in all the peripheral crap....
10. plug the PSU into the wall/power strip and let her rip
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent
  #45
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
I tell you what... watch a few youtube videos of people installing mobos in cases....

Avoid carpeted areas while working on your PC, and touch some piece of unpainted grounded metal before you start....
also pick up a 5 dollar antistatic wrist wrap at your local computer store...
lastly don't use a magnetized screwdriver. the magnets really aren't that powerful that they will mess something up but better to err on the side of caution
All that sounds serious but its really not a big deal

This is a rough draft of the order you'll wanna work in
(remember to keep all screw types separate)

1. turn off computer...
2. Unplug PSU from wall
3. Unplug all peripherals (mouse, Keyboard, monitor, Etc)
4. This is one people always forget... Push your power button with the computer unplugged to discharge any excess electricity
5. Take off the side panel
6. Unplug your case fans from the motherboard
7. Unplug all the front panel display stuff from your MOBO
8. Unplug the 20+4 pin power cable on the MOBO and the 4 or 8 pin CPU cable.... both of these are going to your MOBO from your PSU
9. Unplug your Molex or SATA power cables and also the actual SATA cable going to each DVD or hard drive....
10. Unscrew the 4 screws on the back of the case securing your power supply and sit your power supply to the side
12. Unscrew the screws securing your hard drives and Optical disk drives and sit them (the drives) to the side.
13. Unscrew 6 to 9 motherboard screws and remove the mobo
For a stock heatsink you have no reason to remove the heatsink and CPU... just leave it attached to the motherboard
See the little nut looking spacers below the motherboard that the screws went into? those are the spacers I was referring to... they keep your motherboard from directly touching the metal plate of the case (Which would be very very bad)
cases are different... some have screwless installation.. in some you can remove the tray the mobo sits on for easy installation

Now to install in the new case.... just reverse engineer what you just did...
1. Throw the MOBO in first.... Remembering the spacers.... Your new case should come with spacers and screws to use
2. Then throw in all of your case fans....
3. Secure Hard drives and CD/DVD drives
4. secure the PSU in the same way it was in the old case
Then connect everything
5. 20+4 pin power, 4 or 8 pin CPU power.... SATA cables from drives to motherboard.... SATA power or molex cables from PSU to Drives. Fans into MOBO slots or directly to Molex on PSU
6. Connect your from panel stuff to the mobo... there will be a spot in the corner that is color coded for the front power, LED and HD lights... and RESET button
7. Connect the front panel audio, FW or USB to the jumpers on the MOBO labeled audio, USB and 1394
8. Replace the side panel....
9. Plug in all the peripheral crap....
10. plug the PSU into the wall/power strip and let her rip
A couple things- Some of the components in mine are situated in a strange manner- a lot of them shifted 45 degrees from where they would normally be.

Also, what should i do with the components (specifically the motherboard) while transferring? Any specific method for this?

And where else can I hear your music? I cant ever get your myspace page to load... Was it done with the e-mu?

Speaking of, if youd ever like to hear my recently defunct band that I co-engineered and produced: Vertigo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
Old 4th December 2009 | Show parent
  #46
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
A couple things- Some of the components in mine are situated in a strange manner- a lot of them shifted 45 degrees from where they would normally be.

Also, what should i do with the components (specifically the motherboard) while transferring? Any specific method for this?

And where else can I hear your music? I cant ever get your myspace page to load... Was it done with the e-mu?

Speaking of, if youd ever like to hear my recently defunct band that I co-engineered and produced: Vertigo on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
I can send you something if you like... I hate having new music on myspace... I feel if it's gonna be someones song one day, then I'm not gonna put it out there just yet....

As far as your Hard drive and CD/DVD drive (ODD) being sideways, it doesn't really matter... the reason is all HDD's and ODD's have screws in the same places on the sides... It might be in sideways... but it still is gonna need screws or something to come out.... Look at it for about 30 seconds and you'll be able to determine how they come out... Thats actually the most non-tech part of it... it's really just a matter of carefully removing a few screws... and trust me... once you do this you're gonna wanna take your computer apart every week... you'll be inventing reasons to take it apart... like "WOW, I haven't cleaned under my motherboard in a while"
Old 7th December 2009 | Show parent
  #47
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
I was going to swap my in-laws dell sff pc to another case, but Dell does not (at least at that time) use standard components, so the backplate didn't line up correctly and such. I wound up building them a completely new machine (dual athlon processor, 4gb ram, 500 gig HD, DVD burner) for under $300 and they are very very happy with it. I don't know why dell uses parts that aren't standard with everything else but then at the same time I may have just answered that...
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
  #48
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrufino1 ➑️
I was going to swap my in-laws dell sff pc to another case, but Dell does not (at least at that time) use standard components, so the backplate didn't line up correctly and such. I wound up building them a completely new machine (dual athlon processor, 4gb ram, 500 gig HD, DVD burner) for under $300 and they are very very happy with it. I don't know why dell uses parts that aren't standard with everything else but then at the same time I may have just answered that...
aww man. that really stinks. i was hoping to do it with this computer because its got such good specs and is so fast (amd triple core, 8 gb ram, 600 gb hd)... oh well....
Old 10th December 2009 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
aww man. that really stinks. i was hoping to do it with this computer because its got such good specs and is so fast (amd triple core, 8 gb ram, 600 gb hd)... oh well....
This one will definitely do it
Micro ATX mobo... 3.5" HDD... 5.25 inch ODD...
It would cost more to use proprietary parts these days
In the 90's Packard Bell (Not related to HP in any way) used to solder parts to the motherboard
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #50
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Ok, so I had my friend come over whos a computer whiz and he looked at it and said the power supply definitely wouldnt fit in the case i have and some of the other components were questionable because they didnt look like they had the same screw spacing. He however, suggested building another PC dedicated to audio editing and witching between both using a KVM switch.
Old 11th December 2009
  #51
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
No.. there is NOTHING that can't fit into an Antec 300/900/1200
Your power supply might be a little smaller but would still work...
Your hdd drive is one of the Samsung F1's....
what part other than the PSU did he say wouldn't fit?
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #52
Gear Addict
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3altruth ➑️
No.. there is NOTHING that can't fit into an Antec 300/900/1200
Your power supply might be a little smaller but would still work...
Your hdd drive is one of the Samsung F1's....
what part other than the PSU did he say wouldn't fit?
well it is the one thing that isnt put in sideways- its just way thinner. it looks like it was made for a slimmer case.
Old 11th December 2009 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
R3altruth's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie g ➑️
well it is the one thing that isnt put in sideways- its just way thinner. it looks like it was made for a slimmer case.
PSU's are inexpensive.. many cases come with them...
But the Antec 300/900/1200 were made very versatile and made to mod....
Plus, because they mount PSU's on the bottom.. you don't have to worry it falling off or anything like that.... Thats why I'm saying antec 300 for you... trust me.. you could fit almost anything in them..... You could even fit low pro cards if you are comfortable with tools
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 117 views: 16039
Avatar for seb37000
seb37000 26th April 2005
replies: 9 views: 1903
Avatar for kammy
kammy 8th May 2010
replies: 4954 views: 1345731
Avatar for SirKen
SirKen 15 hours ago
replies: 1 views: 947
Avatar for djnima
djnima 29th January 2015
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump