Quantcast
thinking about a new rig- interface/converter questions - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
thinking about a new rig- interface/converter questions
Old 23rd November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thinking about a new rig- interface/converter questions

so i'm currently running an maudio profire 2626 with ptMP 8. it works fine. I use a true audio 8 channel preamp into the line ins on the profire. I'm eventually going to want to upgrade my converters. I'm also switching to logic so i don't need to stay with m-audio. since logic allows a 32 buffer I can monitor through the DAW so i'm ok there. I was thinking about getting a duet for mobile/road editing. and for home I'm up between two options I think... an ensemble and a rosetta 800 to go through the lightpipe, OR a lynx aurora 16 with the firewire card. I'm going to want to the most natural conversion going in and for monitoring. if I get the lynx, I'll probably get an spl volume two or similar type monitor knob. I record and mix mostly jazz music. eventually I can get another true 8 ch pre and then i'll have 16 channels of good pres and conversion for recording and mixing. I have an ssl duende mini for eq and comp processing. I'm currently using a lexicon mpx1 hanging off the spdif for reverb and i like it a lot, I'd love to have a bricasti at some point but probably can't justify it. also since I've just started learning logic, so far I'm very impressed with the reverbs in it and may be able to get away with just using software verb. I'm tempted to try out the ssl xverb at some point too.

so that's my story, I'm looking for suggestions one way or the other. price points are similar within a few hundred bucks. I currently have a 2.1ghz dual core mac mini with 2gb ram and will probably upgrade to either the current mac mini with 4gb ram or ai5 or i7 imac with 8 gb ram if i can get enough money tgoether. this is going to be a piecemeal process.

I can sell the maudio profire and the mpowered license/ilok because I have an mbox mini and le sitting around in a closet i can use if I ever need to get back into PT for editing/export/etc.... I bought it for my laptop as i was doing a session in another town and I needed to get into my PT file to make some edits before I got to the studio and I had already left home. so i just picked up the mbox to load up the session.

thanks for your input!

N
📝 Reply