Quantcast
Firewire/Computer noise problem. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Firewire/Computer noise problem.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Firewire/Computer noise problem.

Hey, after a long and exhausting session trying to elminate what I thought was a ground loop I discovered that my firewire card/cable is creating computer noise.

When my audio cables going to my Bryston amp are hooked up to my computer audio outs everything is fine, but when I switch the cables to my 002 so I can do Pro Tools work, I get computer noise (you can hear a hum and squeak as the mouse moves etc) Do you guys know if this would be the card? or the cable? the GPU and the firewire card(PCI) are as far away from eachother inside the case as possible, I tried two cables and it happens with both. It's really irritating, please help!

thanks.
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No one knows how to reduce the computer noise coming through the firewire card/cable into my digi and out of my monitors?

I've been using a 3 port PCI SIIG f/w card for 3 years now. Swapped out the card with another one I had in another comp and it's still there.
Old 21st November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky ➑️
No one knows how to reduce the computer noise coming through the firewire card/cable into my digi and out of my monitors?

I've been using a 3 port PCI SIIG f/w card for 3 years now. Swapped out the card with another one I had in another comp and it's still there.
yep ive been having the same problems with apogee gear and my macbookpro, seems to be really bad if flash video is playing on screen but i guess thats just the hard drive going mental...there seems to be an earthing problem with all firewire stuff with no known cure at the moment
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So buying a high quality firewire cable won't fix this I take it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
your picking up noise from either the power supply or motherboard, i had the same probelms until i built a new pc.
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg ➑️
your picking up noise from either the power supply or motherboard, i had the same probelms until i built a new pc.
No buying a fancy firewire cable will do nothing its an earthing problem
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well my system is as follows;

ASUS P5QL Mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Sapphire ATI 3850 PCIe 512mb
4 gig Crucial Ballistx DDR2 ram
SIIG 3 port PCI f/w card
Seasonic 600 W PSU

I wasn't having this problem with this system until I brought the Bryston 3b into the equation. Is it possible the Bryston is so powerful that it is massively amplifying the otherwise ingnorable noise from the f/w?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchimp ➑️
No buying a fancy firewire cable will do nothing its an earthing problem
an earthing problem would affect all his gear, or those plugged into the sockets he used for his pc, the user is complaining about noise through his firewire cable, if it was a earthing problem he would pick up noise on anything that used the same sockets or were in the same power chain.

to the op try pluggin all devices into a single socket using one of those multi sockets.

it could be a ground loop if you have various devices in your room using various sockets.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I already investigated a ground loop. I don't think that's it. Although I may be missing something.

I don't have this problem when the bryston/monitors are hooked up to the audio output on the Asus mobo for pc playback, it only happens when the firewire cable/card is connected to the monitors/bryston via the 002. PT doesn't have to be active either.

removing the cable at either end cuts off the sounds obviously.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm experiencing the same problem with my setup. RME FF400, Asus PK5 motherboard. I have the same problem in my rehearsal room with a laptop. I need to unplug it from power cord to make the noise disappear. I will have my friends FF400 here this Friday just to make sure it isn't my FF400.

But I'm pretty sure it has started to generate the noise just lately. Because I would have noticed it earlier if it would have been there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
here's my problem sound
https://gearspace.com/board/4812114-post4.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I already investigated a ground loop. I don't think that's it. Although I may be missing something.
listen to my demonstration mp3. Is your problem noise the same as mine?
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
thats the exact same noise liek computer activity i used to get.

majour problem trying to sort it out.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes that's the EXACT problem!

Like I said, don't have a problem when my audio is coming from mobo(windows, internet, itunes, etc) only when I'm switched over to protools/firewire.

I just ordered a very high quality, triple shielded, ferrite choked f/w cable (FireWire 1394-A 6ft. 6 Pin to 6 Pin w/ LED) so we shall see if that resolves anything.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
have you tried testing the 002 with your other computer?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
my old computer doesn't have pt on it. It's my g/f's now, it's only set up for radio production.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
but you said PT doesn't have to be active. If necessary, you can install just the ASIO/WDM drivers for the 002. That seems like it would be worth the trouble...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Fair enough, I'll hook it up tomorrow, she has a firewire card in her computer. I swapped it into mine and heard it so it should be fine for testing.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala ➑️
same problem here. with Presonus firebox, using 4 pin to 6 pin cable and an AC adapter. :(

------------

Edit: I Just found something strange. I still can hear the noise even when Firebox is off and AC adapter is unplugged.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I just ordered a very high quality, triple shielded, ferrite choked f/w cable (FireWire 1394-A 6ft. 6 Pin to 6 Pin w/ LED) so we shall see if that resolves anything.
keep us updated on that!

The noise is most likely a ground loop problem. I'm sure I didn't have it with Genelecs. But with HS80 definitely it's there and with my HS50 the second speaker is the most sensitive to the noise. But I'm pretty sure the problem isn't my monitors. It could be my RME FF400. Or my PSU.

I read that lifting ground from xlr monitor cables solved the problem for someone. Haven't tried it yet. But I don't wanna blame my monitors, because I should have read about it more if the HS series would have some grounding issues.
This guy also have this problem YouTube - Ground loop problem solution, Laptop connected to Behringer 2031a speakers. and a solution which is a ground loop isolator.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's worth looking at the Advamced CPU set up on your Mobo's BIOS.

Speed step and other features have been known to cause these issues on gigabyte boards. I don't use ASUS boards any more, although it may be the same cause.

Laptops have forever had ground loop issues due to the way power is passed around. A hum destroyer should kill that though.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by
This guy also have this problem [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqUfX0VYTKU
YouTube - Ground loop problem solution, Laptop connected to Behringer 2031a speakers.[/url] and a solution which is a ground loop isolator.
He is using unbalanced RCA cables, I think thats why the noise caused by the ground loop.
I guess most of us are using XLR or 1/4 TRS cables which eliminates ground noises. I just read firewire cards with Texas instruments chipset are compatible with most of the audio interfaces. would anyone who has one confirm it ?!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had this exact problem, I bought a HumX from sweetwater...

Ebtech Hum X | Sweetwater.com

I put the HumX between my power amp plug and the wall socket, and my noise disappeared.

Before that I went nuts trying to change powerstrips, cabling, all sorts of stuff. The HumX worked it out and I haven't heard those noises in over a year.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I hooked up the other computer today and it happens on that one as well. It's the noise being picked up via firewire.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala ➑️
Is your problem noise the same as mine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiseg ➑️
thats the exact same noise liek computer activity i used to get.
Quote:
Yes that's the EXACT problem!
I have the same sound/problem, but have tracked it down to the LCD display cable.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
haha it's always something!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the firewire, I wish it were as easy as one of the outlets.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I stuck a BEHRINGER ultra-di DI400P between my FF and HS80. Noise = gone. But I still wanna know what generates the noise. I'm so positive that it wasn't there a week ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
haha it's always something!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's the firewire, I wish it were as easy as one of the outlets.
Unplug your interface. Take the TRS end of your XLR-TRS monitor cable (XLR in the monitor input) and touch everything with the TRS. I definitely could get noises from my USB ports, firewire port, some parts of the computer case etc.. so I think it's something inside my computer. PSU? Motherboard? I have the Seasonic PSU and ASUS P5K board.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using passive monitors, avantones and tannoys, not active. Yeah I also have a seasonic psu and asus mobo.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
You_Father_Sky's problem sounds a lot like a problem I had when I was using my (now 5+ year old) laptop as my primary recording machine.

In that case, everything was okey-dokey -- as long as I didn't plug the onboard audio output of my laptop into (a separate input) on the same control amp my MOTU 828mkII Firewire interface was also plugged into.

But if both audio outs were plugged into the same device, I got whirring and chirping type noises that often coincided with screen events -- particularly mouse movements.

It's my take on that problem that a ground (earth) loop is/was causing a contamination of the audio signal with digital signal elements.

I read buckets of info on the many others who had similar problems and, when I moved operations to a new tower machine that didn't have FW built in, I made a point of searching out a FW PCI card with a Texas Instruments FW controller chipset -- and everything has been hunky dory. Not a sign of the problem -- even with everything else hooked up exactly the same.
πŸ“ Reply