Quantcast
Firewire/Computer noise problem. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Firewire/Computer noise problem.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I've been using this card forever;
SIIG, Inc. : FireWire 3-Port PCI i/e - (NN-440012-S8 )

Which is TI chipped.

Never had this problem before I got the Bryston hooked up. I dunno. It's a silly thing really.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Check that your firewire cards' IRQ is not shared with anything else.

I had strange noises on my Mackie Onyx firewire until I disabled my wi-fi and serial comms port (both unused). Now its fine.

Device manager - view by connection....

You never know....
Old 26th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala ➑️

But I don't wanna blame my monitors, because I should have read about it more if the HS series would have some grounding issues.
I did have the same Problem with my HS80M -- the funny thing is: after replacing every other component of my Workstation i finally decided to get a new HS80 for testing-- switched the monitors and the noise was gone.

Is it possible, that there is some Filtergroundsomething (?) in the old HS80, that just broke or wore out?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveroom ➑️
I did have the same Problem with my HS80M -- the funny thing is: after replacing every other component of my Workstation i finally decided to get a new HS80 for testing-- switched the monitors and the noise was gone.

Is it possible, that there is some Filtergroundsomething (?) in the old HS80, that just broke or wore out?
Well I have brand new pair of HS80 and also a brand new pair of HS50. All four make the noise. I can get the same noise by using headphones and sticking XLR-TRS cable to my fireface preamp and then just touching with TRS on lineouts of my Fireface. Same noise.

If I unplug my HS80 from Fireface speakers they get really quiet (only with their regular low hiss sound). Plugged I get more hiss and computer noise. Today I tested my old mobo and I got the same problem. I would definitely put my money on PSU right now.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthbob ➑️
Check that your firewire cards' IRQ is not shared with anything else.

I had strange noises on my Mackie Onyx firewire until I disabled my wi-fi and serial comms port (both unused). Now its fine.

Device manager - view by connection....

You never know....
I'm in the device manager in the IRQ for my firewire card what am I looking for? What will I see if it's "sharing"?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here.
Attached Thumbnails
Firewire/Computer noise problem.-screenshot.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
And yes, I've been watching the entire Conan the Adventurer series online. BACK OFF.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky ➑️
I'm in the device manager in the IRQ for my firewire card what am I looking for? What will I see if it's "sharing"?
I think it's the number. And your firewire is 18. Same number as USB above.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yep, see how pci 18....its sharing with the two pci to usb device above.

Now I'm not saying it's definately this, but, is this a desktop? If so try and swap your firewire card with your ethernet card position or the SM buss controller card.

See how the those (which arn't working anyway) are using IRQ 11 and/or 15 all by themselves.....well if you swap the physical location I think you might find the firewire card will have 11 or 15 IRQ all by itself....which is what we want.

If your a laptop, its a bit of a problem...get back y'all
Old 27th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well if by swap you mean physically swap them, I cannot. The USB and ethernet controllers are all built into the mobo, they are not separate cards. UNLESS you mean that I can change the priorites inside windows.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if i dont keep my laptop in 'silent' mode itll do that. silent underclocks the cpu or something.

my laptop is a sonica configured for a FF800 and it still does it.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I meant physically swap. Thats a shame..you cant manually change them inside windows.

Well, dont be too disheartenned, it was a long shot anyway...try other suggestions here....

(maybe worth right clicking and disabling devices your not using anyway - less for the computer to think about)

Sorry, end of the road for my knowledge here......

R
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No worries, like I said. I still have that cable coming.
Old 28th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Got a Behringer HD400 (ultra compact 2-channel hum destroyer). Noise is gone. Cost 14 euros. But hopefully I will someday now the real source for the frustrating noise that's there without this box.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm looking at it now on their site. How clean is it? Are you hearing it affect your signal quality?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm looking at it now on their site. How clean is it? Are you hearing it affect your signal quality?
It doesn't affect the signal at all. I compared two speakers next to each others. And it's so much better without the extra hum and EMI :D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha, well if the firewire doesn't filter it I know where I'll be going. I found a couple made by ART as well, Do do like their DTI it has multiple inputs/outputs, xlr, trs, rca.
Old 29th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You poor people. I had this same problem with my Macbook Pro's (15-inch and 17-inch). Using the 15 is a useless venture because it actually records the audio whine that's being emitted. I found that it seems to be more a grounding or shielding issue of the electronics in the firewire and usb busses. The 17 inch is a lot quieter but still a problem. Hell, apple tried fixing my computer 3 times and each time it came back with the same problem. Nevertheless, I haven't had a problem since using an external interface (MOTU 896 mkIII) and have been very thankful. I know the issue diminished when I had less devices drawing power from FW or USB, if that helps. Do some Googling and you can find out more information.

While useless, if you have a mac you can call applecare: MacBook Pro (15-inch): Noise under the keyboard
Old 30th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
if you are in mac you can install an application called CHUS tools and you go to the processor menu and uncheck "allow nap" doing that I fixed hiss and other noises coming from monitors.

I hope you fix it
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will the verdict is in! Just got my 6pin Granite Digital Firevue 1394 cable. Plugged it in, NO NOISE! The extra shielding, dual ferrite beads, and build quality completely cleaned up the rf and computer noise!

I can work in peace and quiet again!
Old 15th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Will the verdict is in! Just got my 6pin Granite Digital Firevue 1394 cable. Plugged it in, NO NOISE! The extra shielding, dual ferrite beads, and build quality completely cleaned up the rf and computer noise!

I can work in peace and quiet again!
sheet. Gotta try that! Because all the extra boxes and cables are always a little frustrating...
Old 16th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well dude, the if you want an extra cable, the owner of Granite Digital is sending me another one for free because he thought USPS lost it but it arrived this morning lol. If you want to pick it up I can cut you a good deal, pm me.
Old 10th August 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I had the same problem, with an ASUS P7P55D Pro, and an Alesis Multimix 8 (Firewire). Here's my solution:

There's an internal connector for firewire, which you can get a header for, so it's accesable as a firewire port on the back panel, it looks like this:

My motherboard didn't come with it, but they are cheap separately. The 1394 port on that end of the motherboard was whisper quiet, which was a huge relief, as the main one was unbearably noisy.
Old 3rd July 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hakala ➑️
I am having this exact problem that you posted with HS80s and I am using a Presonus Firestudio Project / Mobile + a Glyph 1TB Harddrive all daisy chained. I have tried eliminating components in my chain and taking out certain aspects seems to solve the problem in certain cases.

For instance if I just have the mobile or the project plugged straight in, I don't get any noise. But the second I plug in my drive that exact noise from the previous mp3 comes out.
It doesn't seem to be a speaker issue. I just want to make sure that it is really a cable issue before I purchase an expensive and well shielded FW cable.

I just think it's a weird coincidence that I have the HS80s as well and have been dealing with this problem. If there are any more updates let me know. And I will let you guys know if I end up solving it!
Old 9th April 2018 | Show parent
Deleted User
Resurrecting this thread because I'm having the same issue and don't have an immediate fix.

My system is pretty complex -- the important pieces are my DAW with an outrageously expensive power supply (beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W), MOTU PCIE424 connected to a 2408 MkIII and a 24i/o fia 6-pin firewire cables. All inputs are going through a Neutrik TRS patch bay, all patched with quality hand-made TRS cables.

When plugging my Kurzweil K2600R into the bay I got the computer whine. It's originating from the PCIe card as a steady high-pitched whine, and the interrupts can be heard whenever video/mouse/hard drive array make any changes.

I did manage to greatly reduce this noise by swapping out the unbalanced cables from the Kurzweil with TRS balanced cables, actually completely eliminating it from one channel and greatly reducing it from the other, but it's still there.

Anyone ever come up with a good fix for this issue?

To be clear, this is not a 60hz ground hum, it's the computer's components making leakage through the interface somehow...
Old 16th April 2018 | Show parent
Deleted User
I thought I'd follow up on this since I've come across a workaround...

I added ferrrite chokes to each end of the audiowire cables -- no change.

I purchased a ground lift transformer -- no change (?$!!)

I migrated everything to another MOTU 2408Mk3 I completely recapped -- no change.

I experimented with adding an EQ, where I found most of the digital noise was centered at 1KHz with at 2K, 4K, 6K and 8K -- which I used notch filters with -inf gain and bands as narrow as I could make them (0.01oct) which *sorta* filtered out the big bumps but still left a lot of the noise.

Then, I moved channel 1 over to channel 3 - complete silence.

Hmmm...
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User ➑️
Then, I moved channel 1 over to channel 3 - complete silence.
Does anyone know what the Deleted User means by this? I don't know what channels s/he is referring to
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoularPower ➑️
Does anyone know what the Deleted User means by this? I don't know what channels s/he is referring to
Since this person is using a MOTU PCIe system and referring to their 2408, I'm just assuming they moved the 1/4" plug from analog input 1 to analog input 3 and the humming stopped.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpl. Punishment ➑️
Since this person is using a MOTU PCIe system and referring to their 2408, I'm just assuming they moved the 1/4" plug from analog input 1 to analog input 3 and the humming stopped.
Thanks for that. Unfortunately doesn't relate to my similar issue! I have unplugged all inputs/outputs and still getting the digital interference, which is certainly not ground loop hum, as I have eliminated thsat possibility.

I will order the FW cable recommended in this thread, but suspect the main issue in my case is proximity of Audio Interface to GPU, as was suggested by Janne :/ Thanks!

Digital Intereference - Doesn't seem to be a ground loop issue?
Old 29th March 2021 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hello again everyone, thanks for all the tips. Just to let y'all know I sorted this out finally. I must have made a mistake somewhere along the way, I suspect I had left a DB25 connected into the back of my mixer from the audio interface.

Although balanced cables and all the other suggestions didn't help, what did in the end was the Samson MCD2 Pro Stereo Passive Direct Box, for anyone else who happens upon this thread

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/pro...s-max/mcd2pro/
πŸ“ Reply