Quantcast
New mix, Logic 9 all stock plugs - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New mix, Logic 9 all stock plugs
Old 22nd November 2009 | Show parent
Deleted 7f28ec2
Sounds good. You just need to get those Left and Right panned rhythm guitars under control. Way too much mid-highs. Other than that nice job in the box.
Old 23rd November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good song! From my humble point of view, the mix is fairly top-heavy. Agreed with the above poster about the high-mids needing to be calmed down, and probably balanced with some more low end. It also felt like the vocal levels were a little inconsistent across parts of the song (some places too prominent, others a little dwarfed by the guitars). Overall not bad though.
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Old 24th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's definitely improvement in the rhythm section dept, but the vocals are now a bit cloudy and honky eq wise and also sitting a bit low now. It seems as if you may have taken the critique of the overall mix being a bit anemic/thin/overly bright as meaning that all instruments in the mix suffered from this and adjusted everything accordingly when it wasn't necessarily the case of every instrument. It could be that the guitars/vocals, as they were originally, might have been fine but that the over-brightness/presence of the drums (specifically the cymbals) along with the semi-lopsided-balance of the drums and bass were coloring the guitars & vocals as overly bright/fatiguing as well (even if they weren't). I'd maybe retain the changes you've made to the bass and drums, and then revert to how you originally had the guitars and vocals originally, then re-balance everything and see how it sits. Then make adjustments to the vocals and guitars and see where you end up. Good luck!
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Yeah I kinda noticed that when I got home and referenced them. I wish I lived closer to my studio space...!

Thanks for the tips guy, how's the low end sound now though? Not too much I hope.
Old 25th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I really liked the song, great work
Old 3rd December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Third Revision.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/Autu...d%20Master.mp3

And now, the other song I was talking about!

Enjoy.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883818/Autu...d%20Master.mp3

BTW, any and all critiques are welcome, but I might be "closing the lid" on this project because these are DEMOS and were done for free as a favor and for the experience! Thanks for all the input you guys gave me!

Also, this one has Pod Farm instead of Amp Designer. Thank god!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Dynamic range ?

How about the Dynamic Range. With the TT DR meter it reads at DR5

That is up there with the loudest (i.e. Metallica @ DR2, etc..)

I Think if you allow it to breath a little more and bring that down to DR10 or so.. even DR 12-15 would give it the room for that bottom end of things.

BTW, I love the songs expecially that second one. Again this one needs more Dynamic Range to deliver the impact it's trying to in the buildup of the momentum.

I feel both drum mixes could use some more room mixed in if you did use room mics. The tone is there.. but they sound to 'close' for my taste in this style.

My 2 c.

Michel.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Thanks man! I didn't have room mics, just reverb sends. I actually only had a mono overhead lol.

I didn't realize it was that loud. I was using Kings of Leon as a reference so maybe I went for it too much. Kids these days I guess!

Thanks again for the kind words.
Old 8th December 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Virtual Room V1.0..

I have tried this once and it worked out great for the song.

If you can, use a decently loud playback setup, even if mono, (I say LOUD because you are trying to reproduce the loud and fast transient of the initial stick hit on drums) and setup room mics.

Now Playback the song but with the drums solo'd ... then record these room mics while you playback the song. There ya go! you now have a room to mix into that drum mix!

use a live room if you can... not your control room monitors... it could be thru an amp, a P.A. .. a stereo,.,, whatever.. experiment! you can even place the room mics in a different room altogether!

compress the life out of the room mics and experiment with LP/HP filters... even add fake ambiance to the room mic tracks... have fun!

Michel
Old 9th December 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds pretty good to me. i would try a bit more/different compression on the vocal. Try the other models on the logic compressor. Maybe try replacing the verb on the vocal with delay only. This vocal should really be very clear and in you face. timing on the guitars bugs me a little, but probably not the most important thing.
πŸ“ Reply