I don't know what to do! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I don't know what to do!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I don't know what to do!

Damn it!
I've been back and fourth with different solutions and still can't fond anything that will properly work for me. Here's the issue. I've been making music with nice cubase pc setup for years. I love Cubase and still do, and make great music using it. Problem is I needed more power/ memory for my instrument without the troublesome consumer processes that run in the background. Hence, I got a mac pro.

I never thought I'd say it, but I simply love my mac. That's big for someone who's utterly detested mac for years and been with Windows since 3.1. While there are still things I don't like about mac (uninstaller mabe?!! **** why is that so damn difficult) I would rather work on that than my vista system anyday.

Anyway, so here are the specs of that system befor I move forward:
Mac Pro 2.6 Quad core Xenon Intel processor with 7GB of RAM, 5 harddrives, OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Now for the issue,
I have Cubase 5 installed on my mac and everything for the most part was working fine till I tried to render my project. I'm using a RME Fireface 800 interface connected via 400. On Pc I can render this flawlessly but with the added headace of having to restart and clear my ram if I decide to add another plugin since the project is huge. I'm also unsure about how well Cubase 5 is handling it's plugins because even with my UAD-2 plugins, they were affected (some of the knobs turned up missing) not to mention I keep running into that critical error (grah!).

So when I switched over to mac a lot of the memory issues went away ( btw I can't run my system in 64bit kernal yet since my UAD-2 card doesn't support it) but when I try to render my finished project, the ASIO clips out and stops it! My guess is it's a program error since Cu5 isn't yet supported by Snow Leopard.

It's noted that it'll be months before support is given to either 7 or OSX 10.6 and I don't have that kind of time. So I've been looking into other recording software. I absolutly will not go to Digidesign especially when I have an mbox vs my rme interface...yeah right! So I looked into Logic 9. I started learning it and so far, it's not that bad at all. Problem is I've read too many articles about bug reports for this thing to keep me at all comfortable! I've heard Apple destroyed this program and frankly, I'm just not comfortable! I'd like to trust in my programs not second guess it lol. So then I looked into Abelton Live. A nice little program and I simply LOVE it's delay effects. Very musical! Thing is, I can't get past the fact that this program is very gimmicky and mainly for djs. At least with logic or protools, your pretty much on standard grounds as far as recording software. Depending on the place you go, you generally find:
1. Protools
2. Logic
3. Cubase

before any program out there. While I've heard so many good things about it, as a person who will be mixing with it, live tracking with it, and possibly session transfering with it, I just don't know. I'm not loop based at all and this is what this program seems to be geared to.

With that said, I don't know what to do unless you guys can shed some light on these choices to dispell my ignorance if induced accidently or if any of you were able to resolve the problem I have with cubase, or have never had that problem on larger project and mabe a periferal thing. If it's a periferal problem, my guess is it would cme from the generic FireWire card I had to get for my mac for 400 ports till my 800 to 400 adapter comes in. However something tells me this is highly unlikely.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I was in a similar boat. I JUST made the switch about 1.5 months ago.

Up until this point, I was a forever PC user. My last rig was prior to the mac switch was a quad core system running Samplitude, with my interface being, like yours, the RME Fireface 800. Intermittent problems, background processes, memory issues...etc. I was fed up, but I dealt with it.

I got a Macbook Pro for work (I blog for a living) and fell in love with how things were so much easier. That got me wondering about Logic. Not too long later, I bought a second MAC, Logic Pro, and have been living happily ever after since.

As a newcomer, I don't know what Apple "did" to Logic, but I know that I love the software. I don't have crashes or bug issues, and I've been using my new rig heavily since purchase.

Logic plays nice with the Fireface 800. I also bought an Apogee Duet. Not surprisingly, Logic gets along even better with that. Strangely enough, I'm getting better results (mixes, recordings, etc) out of having my pres plugged into the Duet.

So, yeah. New Mac ***** here. Couldn't be happier though.
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My experience is exactly the same as Dale's

I always had PC's running Cubase / Cake / Cool Edit etc for ten years and found that an old Compaq laptop strictly for running Van Bascos MIDI Player was the only reliable thing I ever encountered. Everything else always seemed buggy or was going to give out at any moment

Since the move to a MacBook Pro and then an iMac, it's a different world... however, once you start bringing other things into that world, things can be greatly affected (such as that latetst free TC Reverb plug-in for example )
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'm still new to these bugs but one that was posted here was referencing flex time deleting their file perminently. I'll post my bug findings on my research when I get home.

Aside Logic, any thoughts on Abelton Live?
Deleted User
Cubase runs fine on Window 7

"it's a program error since Cu5 isn't yet supported by Snow Leopard."

Could be

Also, you do have a Texas Instrument chipset on your FW card correct???

If your running all those instruments in REALTIME and not bouncing them down to audio or freezing them, could be your issue

What about your RME drivers for the FF800?

Lots of areas to check here. FUnny how people like to hose the DAW first shot instead of looking at every area

If you had issue on the PC, I can see you having the same problems on the Mac

There are PLENTY of Pros running Nuendo and Cubase on a PC WITHOUT ISSUES

Sorry but operator error/ignorance comes to mind here

"So I looked into Logic 9. I started learning it and so far" So you bought Logic??

Your recording to one of the other drives correct?
Are these DRIVES internal or FW or USB?
Your GENERIC FW card is more than likely an issue

Whats the SPEED on these drives? Read Write times? Cache amount?

Your choice IMO would be 2 or 3

Cubase.net .:::. View topic - More stable under OS X 10.6.2
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Question

No I've never had this ASIO clip problem on Pc. I've been running fine on XP for a long time till my sessions got big. The temporary card that I put in till I get my 400 to 800 adapter is a Dynex Firewire card. I'm unsure of the chipset. I hear that the mac pro ports onboard come stock TI but idk. Why would it be the card though? My latency is super low and everything. It's just on big project loads ( on the mac) the ASIO Performance meter jumps uncontrolably.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFO_2000 ➡️
No I've never had this ASIO clip problem on Pc. I've been running fine on XP for a long time till my sessions got big. The temporary card that I put in till I get my 400 to 800 adapter is a Dynex Firewire card. I'm unsure of the chipset. I hear that the mac pro ports onboard come stock TI but idk. Why would it be the card though? My latency is super low and everything. It's just on big project loads ( on the mac) the ASIO Performance meter jumps uncontrolably.
Whats your BUFFER setting? You cant go as low on the Mac in Cubase as you do on the PC. Cubase will choke if your running a ton of VSTi', effects and trying to do a low buffer at the same time. She aint as snappy on the Mac bro.

Thats why you should 1. Use the freeze function or 2. Bounce your VSTi's to AUDIO tracks

I see a FLASH update and a driver set for OSX 10.6 on their site. Your using those correct?

RME: Downloads

Is your FW card Mac compatible? Which DYNEX card?
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I can't go to 10.6 drivers. UAD-2 doesn't support 64kernel yet. However I'm pretty sure when I tried the same session using my mbox, the same thing happened. I'll try again though just to make sure.

But it definatly could be FireWire card? Point me to the post that says why.
Lives for gear

I am running Cubase 5 on my MacBook Pro and it's performance obliterates my old pc's performance when it ran Cubase SX3. I am very happy.

Firewire: all of my Firewire devices are 400; the new MacBook only has an 800 series port (9 pin instead of 6). I picked up an 800/400 cable from the Apple store and all of my 400 speed hardware runs flawlessly.

Have you tried eliminating the FW card and moving to the 9 pin to 6 pin cable?
Here's a link to it on the Apple Store site: Belkin 6 Foot 400/800 Firewire cable

Before you swap out Cubase 5 and spend more money on software, try changing the cable first.

Also, many companies have caught up to Snow Leopard; even Alesis has released drivers for their MultiMix FireWire boards. See if your drivers are outdated, as well.
Old 18th November 2009 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
I can't go to 10.6 drivers. UAD-2 doesn't support 64kernel yet. However I'm pretty sure when I tried the same session using my mbox, the same thing happened. I'll try again though just to make sure.

But it definatly could be FireWire card? Point me to the post that says why.
So your running your RME with 10.5 drivers using 10.6 ??

The CORE AUDIO DRIVER for your Mbox is NOT well written, they never havs been. Digi doesnst want you using OTHER software with their I/O's. I always had issues with it. Some people dont Im sure. I bet if you ran another app such as Logic it would do the same thing. That driver ALWAYS sucked using my DIGI002Rack with Cubase.

Its common knowledge that most of your FW I/O boxes work best with TI chipset FW cards. Youll have to do your own search on that one

Honestly you can just throw money at it and buy another DAW. What happens when you have the SAME issue?
Download REAPER and give it a go to see what it does.
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivmike ➡️
I am running Cubase 5 on my MacBook Pro and it's performance obliterates my old pc's performance when it ran Cubase SX3. I am very happy.

Firewire: all of my Firewire devices are 400; the new MacBook only has an 800 series port (9 pin instead of 6). I picked up an 800/400 cable from the Apple store and all of my 400 speed hardware runs flawlessly.

Here's a link to it on the Apple Store site: Belkin 6 Foot 400/800 Firewire cable

Before you swap out Cubase 5 and spend more money on software, try changing the cable first.

Also, many companies have caught up to Snow Leopard; even Alesis has released drivers for their MultiMix FireWire boards. See if your drivers are outdated, as well.

Also, C5 is NOT Snow Leopard compatible yet. Some guys are using it though
Old 18th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Anyway, so here are the specs of that system befor I move forward:
Mac Pro 2.6 Quad core Xenon Intel processor with 7GB of RAM, 5 harddrives, OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard).

Now for the issue,
I have Cubase 5 installed on my mac and everything for the most part was working fine till I tried to render my project. I'm using a RME Fireface 800 interface connected via 400
Any reason you don't have your MacPro connected to your RME Fireface 800 via firewire 800? Lots more bandwidth than 400. Be sure you update your Fireface firmware and also get the latest driver from RME.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️

Also, C5 is NOT Snow Leopard compatible yet. Some guys are using it though
I'm running Snow Leopard and Cubase 5.

So I guess that I'm "some guys"

Seriously, no issues at all. In fact, I was tracking again tonight.
Deleted User
Quote:
I'm running Snow Leopard and Cubase 5.

So I guess that I'm "some guys"

Seriously, no issues at all. In fact, I was tracking again tonight.
Whats your thoughts on his issue then? Some guy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➡️
Whats your thoughts on his issue then? Some guy
These were/are my thoughts:

Quote:

Deleted User
Quote:

Thats what I would do FIRST
📝 Reply