The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Getting rid of Logic windows
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Getting rid of Logic windows

I'd check manual for this, but I'm not sure what the right terminology is. I keep noticing when I quit Logic that I've got a dozen piano rolls open behind the main window. I guess at some point I must have opened them, and when I clicked on arrange window, they went behind, but since arrange window takes up whole screen, I never noticed they were still open.

Is there some sort of pref or default to get them to close rather than just popping behind... or make it so no matter what arrange is furthest back layer so I have to close them to get rid of them?

Don't suppose it really matters, just seems like I shouldn't have all that stuff open.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Or am I the only one on here stupid enough to not notice I'm collecting a dozen windows behind the one I'm viewing?
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
pan
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Linking Windows will adress this issue. The Chain Symbol...
Old 16th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can you not just close the windows one by one and then save the project..?
Old 17th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In Logic when you key command to open a window it opens a redundant window, if there is one or more of the same open. I don't understand the benefit of this but having used Logic (5-8) daily for years it has many "mysteries" shall we say that totally escape me. What I do to avoid this is to set my dual monitor screen up with two hybrid windows, one having an edit mixer inspector view and the other with a Mixer, small edit window and media view. When I access other windows (transform, environment etc) I am just in the practice of closing them when I am done. You can also set up screensets and develop a habit of changing screensets to get into the windows you need. bea aware for this to work you have to set up all your screensets, tool selection, views, tracks etc. Everything you need to work the way you want you have to define in your template. Logic, its like a ferrari but it comes as a box of parts with really insufficient instructions. Eventually if you read user groups enough you will get it together but sometimes you need to start it with a screwdriver!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover'd ➑️
Can you not just close the windows one by one and then save the project..?
Yes, but it keeps happening. I would greatly prefer it to close the previous window rather than sending it back where I will never see it until I have collected a dozen or more of them.

I thought the chain was linking things so the region selected in arrange is also the window shown in sample editor or piano roll below... could be wrong... but I'm talking about the free-floating piano roll window. Guess I'll check.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i got into the habit to press e.g. the "1" key (for "screen set 1") every once in a while, so that just the main window, and nothing else, is open.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know why they did away with the ability to open any window as a floating window. Great way to avoid those windows falling behind others.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Funny, I did a session last weekend and noticed this myself. Coming from PT this is totally weird to me. So many things are actually.....
ERic
Deleted User
All I can say is you're doing something wrong, but I can't think what....

I work in Logic all day, and have for years, and never get multiple windows opening up -- especially not 'behind' the main one.

If you're getting multiples, then either you're double clicking to edit something, and not realizing another window opened somewhere else, or you're using a key command that opens a window and not seeing it...

But especially with L8 and L9's more unified "single window" view, where all the editors can pop up as needed in the bottom half of your arrange page, there's not a whole lot of reasons why you'd need or want multiple editor windows open.

Also, maybe you're not using screensets? You can build a screenset with all kinds of editors open -- score, piano roll, event list -- and have them all synced to focus on the same data, or at different zoom/detail levels if you like.

It's hard to diagnose from a distance 'how' or 'why' you're getting multiple windows open. But the best I can offer is that, for once, it's not really Logic's fault. (And I'm not trying to point fingers here! Just helping you trouble shoot I hope).
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…