1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Custom Logic Icons - How DO I do it?

Custom Logic Icons - How DO I do it?

How do I get the icons into Logic?
Old 15th November 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
There are some youtube videos from a really cool guy that frequents this forum. All kinds of cool Logic tips and tricks along with hilarious comedy (he does the southern thing really well!!!) Can't remember his name though. Ha ha! Guess I wasn't very helpful, was I?
Old 15th November 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Tech Tips: Custom Logic Pro Icons | Sweetwater.com

:D
Audio Alchemist

3 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Here's a Photoshop guide I wrote:

How to make your own icons in Logic Pro - including the original Logic Pro alpha channel transparent drop shadow effect.

1. Find the picture you want (synth, module, naked girlfriend). Use the highest resolution possible, i.e. find a big picture.

2. Most pictures are in RGB Color mode (such as JPEGs), but some are not (GIFs). Use Image > Mode > RGB Color if necessary.

3. Remove any background around the actual image. First you need to change the background layer into a normal layer. You do this by double clicking on the layer entitled Background in the Layers window, and press OK.

Use the magic wand tool, lasso tool, or manually delete the background color until the background shows the Photoshop transparency chequers. If you're familiar with the Refine Edge function, this is a great place to use it (Select > Refine Edge).

4. Use the crop tool to crop to the absolute edge of the actual image. Remember: no empty space around the image, this is important to get the size right later.

5. Open Image > Image Size. Look at the dimensions in height and width. Whichever side has the biggest number should be set for 120 pixels. Make sure Constrain Proportions and Bicubic (Smooth Gradients) are checked. Click OK.

6. Now use the Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask to manually sharpen the image. E.g. 0,3 pixels and 120% sharpen.

7. Set Image > Canvas Size to 128 x 128 pixels, with the anchor centered.

8. Choose Layer > Layer Style > Drop Shadow... and use Multiply blend mode, Opacity: 40, Angle: 90, Distance: 4, Spread: 0, Size: 4. This is a 100% match with the original shadow effect in Logic Pro.

9. Command click on the layer thumbnail icon in the Layers window pane to load the selection. Then choose Select > Save Selection... and press OK.

10. Switch to the Channels pane from the Layers window and activate the new Alpha Channel 1.

11. Choose File > Save for Web & Devices, and select the PNG24 format. Activate Transparency.

12. The file should saved as x.png (where x is a three digit number between 000 and 324) and put in Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Logic/Images/Icons

If no folder exists by that name, make one yourself. Be aware that some numbers are available and some will replace an existing Logic Pro icon (as long as your custom icon is in the folder).

Like this one I made:

Notice that the drop shadow is really a shadow, it's not fixed. This means that once this icon is used in Logic Pro, it will cast a correct shadow where ever it is used and no matter the background color.

Download more icons
Links | Audio Articles, Technical Tips, Download Presets

(bottom of the page)

Logic Pro Files
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
great tutorial !
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
great tips, lagerfeldt