The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Switching from PT8 to Logic Pro 9. Advise on learning a different workflow?
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Switching from PT8 to Logic Pro 9. Advise on learning a different workflow?

Hey everyone. Been a PT user since ver. 6. Just picked up a copy of Logic Studio 9. I'll be using it with my BLA 002r interface. I'm honestly still a little lost on the whole CoreAudio / sample rate selection process in Logic. Does anyone know of a good resource for people switching to Logic as far as tutorials, etc?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't worry too much about it- Logic isn't that daunting. They both work in similar ways.

I don't know where you are with the whole DAW thing, if you know Pro Tools well then you'll be able to quickly make sense of Logic. If your new to the whole thing, then David Nahmani's Logic book is quite good, but very basic.

Can you tell me how much experience you have in general? What specifically you want to know? I'll try to have an intelligent recommendation then.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'd say I have a fair bit of experience. I attended PT training classes, then got my degree in Audio Production. I guess I'm really looking for a Logic 9 map, of sorts. Where to find things such as I/O setup, how to map my Command-8 control surface to be used in Logic (at least the faders and transport controls). I'm sure getting a kbcovers.com hotkeys cover for Logic would help me with the key commands. I'm also curious about the sound replacer functionality that would seemingly take the place of Drumagog.... Like I said though, I really just need a map. Things don't seem to be where I would expect them to coming from a PT world.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
it depends how well you are used to the PT workflow.

I personally find Logic very UN-logical.

YMMV
nas
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is a very good video tutorial series:

macProVideo.com - Download & Stream Tutorial-Video for Logic 9 First Look: Overview Of Logic 9

My advice is start gradually and don't try to learn everything at once.. just what you need to achieve your immediate goals. Logic is a very deep and powerful program but I'm sure there are a lot of functions that you won't need or use immediately. You can learn only what you need to know to get the job done step by step and it will be less daunting and more satisfying for you. Then you can explore logic's deeper functions.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by silence2-38554 ➑️
Hey everyone. Been a PT user since ver. 6. Just picked up a copy of Logic Studio 9. I'll be using it with my BLA 002r interface. I'm honestly still a little lost on the whole CoreAudio / sample rate selection process in Logic. Does anyone know of a good resource for people switching to Logic as far as tutorials, etc?

I also had primarily a Pro Tools background when I took my initial dive into Logic. Way way too much to cover here, but here are a few concepts that I struggled with initially:

1) The 'Sample Editor' is just that. It's a sample-accurate, destructive(!) audio editor. When you apply AudioSuite effects to a region in Pro Tools, a new audio file is created with the effect permanently written in, while the original audio file is left unaltered. In Logic's sample editor, the process is actually applied destructively to the original audio file. Lets say, for instance, that you cut a small drum loop from a larger file and duplicate it for different sections of your arrangement. Now you want to 'reverse' one of the loops, but not all of them. If you simply apply the reverse effect to one of the regions with the sample editor, they will now all be reversed (since the original source audio file has been reversed). The alternative would be to convert the region to a new audio file (option+command+f) before applying the effect.

2) CoreAudio Manager. This thing has always caused me problems. I won't go into too many details about it, but follow this workflow and you should be fine: Before launching PT or Logic (and especially when closing one and opening the other) always launch the CoreAudio Manager first. Verify correct settings for sampe rate, buffer size, synce source, and spidf mirroring, and then close CoreAudio Manager. This seems to help the 002/003 make the smoothest transition from platform to platform with the fewest bugs.

3) After becoming proficient with Logic's Environment, I decided that setting up the Command|8 for Logic would be a breeze. After several days of exhaustive work and research I came to realize that this is impossible. You can get the Command|8 to control Logic's mixer and transport, but there's no obvious way to get the necessary messages back to the control surface. I think I may have gotten 8 channels to work once, but the huge workaround made any idea of actually working that way laughable. Get a Mackie or Euphonix if you need a control surface.

Hope this helps. Check out Groove3 tutorials for both PT and Logic. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions as well.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
You need a good tutorial DVD.

In addition to Macpro videos, Askvideo's tutorial are great and not that expensive, finally I would say dive into it and get your hands dirty....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folded ➑️
it depends how well you are used to the PT workflow.

I personally find Logic very UN-logical.

YMMV
I totally agree with this. If you're coming from Pro Tools, you're going to get very frustrated with Logic. At least I did. Logic Pro 9 is less frustrating as it's becoming more and more like Pro Tools. I use both now as I prefer to record and edit in Pro Tools and then mix on Logic. But I'm sure I'd be able to do everything in Logic Pro 9 now without a problem. My recommendation would be to go to Learn Pro Tools, Logic Pro, Ableton Live and more - Training and Tutorial Videos and check out their tutorials. They aren't free, but they're worth the money. I just paid for the online membership where you can view all their tutorials for like $29.99 per month. Logic Pro 9 is a pretty kick ass program, but you have to know that the workflow is not that similar to Pro Tools. So if you go into it knowing that, you'll be fine. Rock On!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Also try SFNinja's Logic videos -- very informative and useful for those learning Logic.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist ➑️
Also try SFNinja's Logic videos -- very informative and useful for those learning Logic.
+1 Great place to get started, and Mr. Earl also answers PMs promptly.

YouTube - SFLogicNinja's Channel
πŸ“ Reply