The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
URS Channel Stip Pro?? The only channel strip you need????
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
URS Channel Stip Pro?? The only channel strip you need????

Hey all, I had another thread on here comparing the Maserati's and the Sonnox Oxford. Anyway after trying those demos I listened to the Gear Slutz and decided not to get the Masarati's because they are limited. I am using Logic pro 8 and the plugins that come standard are very clean sounding, very similar to the oxfords I demoed. I love the oxfords but the eq and compressor are similar to the logic pro 8 plugins in terms of transparent and clean sounding. Although the Oxford limiter is in a leauge of it own.

Any way I want an EQ and Compressor that is professional sounding and better than what I have and different then what I have. Since the logic pro 8 plugs are clean sounding I am looking for something with more bite and attitude.

I record mostly rock and pop music. I am looking into the waves API and V series although I want to stay away from waves and Wup.

Then I came upon the URS Classic console strip pro. WOW! for 500 dollars can this be true. It seems like it can be the answer to my setup. It has so many options and sound colors and textures. Its like painting with dozens of colors.

I dont care if the emulations are extremely accurate because I never used any of those hardware pieces and would not know or care anyway if they are identical.
I just want quality compressors and eq's that I can scuplt my mixes like the pros.

I would love to try the URS channel strip API eq preset with a Urei 1176 compressor preset on the lead vocal for rock to have that big rock vocal sound.
And then change presets to a neve eq preset and La2a compressor preset for guitars.

Wow why would any one in their right mind buy these plugins seperatley from other manufaterers when you could get them from Urs in a channel strip and save thousands of dollars. Hmmmmmm.... and no WUP.

I will be demoing them next week. But please if you tried them I would really love your opinions and experinces?

Thank you in advance.
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try it out, if it works for ya, great. The key is finding useful tools that sound great, are fun to use and make life easier while recording. Things that fit your workflow. You'll probably get a bunch of responses here about the CS-Pro that are all over the map. But instead, try it and make your own mind up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
That's what meant!! Glad u like the plug-in. Other's opinions should not matter.
Enjoy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
try the demo. IMHO, it's not what u think u gonna get.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have a little bit different attitude on this. I don't end up using many plugs that try and do everything in one because I end up spending more time searching than getting what I need done. I do own the URS CSP and it is a great plug but it definitely takes time to get used to using it effectively. I also wish that it could just say API or Neve instead of 70's eq or 60's eq because I always forget which is which and how to get a sound again when I use it later.

URS...make an option on your plug to rename the menus and people would use your plug more. Sounds stupid but it's most likely true.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
I have a little bit different attitude on this. I don't end up using many plugs that try and do everything in one because I end up spending more time searching than getting what I need done. I do own the URS CSP and it is a great plug but it definitely takes time to get used to using it effectively. I also wish that it could just say API or Neve instead of 70's eq or 60's eq because I always forget which is which and how to get a sound again when I use it later.

URS...make an option on your plug to rename the menus and people would use your plug more. Sounds stupid but it's most likely true.
cam

Why not just create your own preset and name it what you want?

In my opinion people that are using this plug-in to emualte or recreate the sound of API, NEVE, PULTEC, whatever are missing the point.

This is in virtual form a chance to create your own favorite virtual console. Kind of like audio legos.

Find your favorite input modules, comps, eqs and filters, store them as a handfull of personal starting point presets and you are good to go.

To the original poster, this is a powerhouse package and a great 1st and even only channel strip plug in that you will get a lot of millage out of.

Your only other choice for all in one channel strips is to get a UAD card, Duende, or go with Waves.

All offer great choices, but none is as versatile as CSP.

XJ
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have the URS Console Strip Pro and while it's a great plug in for some things, it's generally more of a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none kind of plug. You can definitely get some great sounds with it, but I don't think it's the kind of plug you can rely on for anything (not that such a plug even exists anyway). The different input/EQ/compressor emulations DO subtly alter the color of the plug, but not as much as one might expect.

I was more impressed by the Waves SSL/API/CLA plugs , and even MORE impressed by the UAD plugs, which are probably the best, most musical sounding plugs I've ever used.

Since you're looking for some truly great plugs that will inject a bit of attitude and color, I'm not sure you can do much better than what the UAD plugs bring to the table.

My two cents...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos ➑️
try the demo. IMHO, it's not what u think u gonna get.
this.

some like it, i don't. you can use it for 2 weeks and find out
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I use UAD plugins mainly. I do break out the CSP occasionally for drums & guitars that are being troublesome. A great plugin that does almost too much...who knew.
cam
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye ➑️
I use UAD plugins mainly. I do break out the CSP occasionally for drums & guitars that are being troublesome. A great plugin that does almost too much...who knew.
cam
I agree, CSP for some reason is my go to plugin for Drums, especially Toms. Also he's right, its very nice on guitar cabs.

I also agree that I would never trade my UAD plugs for CSP, but back to the OP's post, based on his statements, looking for one good plug in comp and EQ, does not care how close they are to the originals, this is a fantastic choice for the $$$.

All the other suggestions require much more cash, IE a UAD card, and there is no way I would spend $500 - $600 on anything waves where next year you will need to pay more money just to keep them current.

Anyhow, again if you already have or are thinking of getting an iLok, try the demo, its free...not sure if waves does demos anymore, but if so, get them all and do a side by side.

Best of luck.

XJ
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Its the only one I need. I also have duende for a different flavor, but to me CSP SLAYS any of the Waves options, which have good tone but to me shrink the image and bring everything forward. CSP keeps the image intact, and has enough options to handle anything. For me, it's way faster to get to what I want with this plug than any combination of any other plugs.
Fwiw, I also prefer it to the UAD stuff. That stuff sounds great, but I don't like mixing with it for some reason. Sort of the same issue that I have with the waves stuff.
Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 ➑️
Your only other choice for all in one channel strips is to get a UAD card, Duende, or go with Waves.
you forgot the metric halo channel strip!
πŸ“ Reply