Quantcast
DAW for tape-machine style recording using ZED R16 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DAW for tape-machine style recording using ZED R16
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 10 years
DAW for tape-machine style recording using ZED R16

I've been running my A&H ZED r-16 on my PC using Sonar, but I ended up giving my PC to a family member and now need a DAW for my macbook. I'd like to run the mixer like a traditional mixer-tape machine setup, which means i rarely (if ever) use plug-ins or do any sort of in-depth editing, and only really use hardware.. In fact, every time i've gone into professional studios i've used RADAR for this very reason. I've been considering Logic Express and Cubase Studio 5. Has anyone experienced running this board with either of these DAWs? Is there any reason to spend the extra cash on Logic Studio 9 or Cubase 5?
Old 12th November 2009
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Reaper could be one alternative, its cheap and light on the computer.
I think someone wrote about it used for remote recordings at the remote forum here

Matti
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Ableton Live Intro does 64 track audio for $100 and has a reputation for great stability.

You might really like it.

Old 13th November 2009 | Show parent
Mindreader

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I'm just about to get my hands on a ZED 14 and hope to use it extensively on a new project. I'll keep you posted, should have it next week.
Old 14th November 2009 | Show parent
LQM
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
On a Mac, the best 2 options are Logic or Cubase IMHO.

I have (and love) Ableton Live 7 Suite and it's a great program but it is not as well suited for multiple input linear tape machine type tasks as Logic or Cubase and it's gapless audio engine for on the fly beatmatching and dropping samples in without having to stop comes at a higher CPU hit.

Reaper is still too much in beta on Mac. If you were on PC, it would also be a contender.

You have to look at the feature comparisons and decide whether the cut down Logic Express or Cubase Studio 5 will give you what you need. They are still both powerful but you lose multichannel audio (surround sound), and probably about a 3rd of the plugins and also some functionality (i.e. Cubase Studio 5 only has the balanced panner, not the dual combined banner, it also has no Control Room, or trim on input, and some of the big features such as Reverence convolution reverb and Variaudio pitch correction are not included). Ditto Logic Express.

Feature Comparison :: Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH :: www.steinberg.net is a Cubase 5 comparison chart

sorry, I couldn't find a Logic Express - Logic Pro comparison, but Express seems less cut down from Pro than Cubase STudio 5 is from Cubase 5. I have only used the full Logic 9 product, so I don't know for sure.
๐Ÿ“ Reply