The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using a 96I/O as an A/D converter for LE?
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Using a 96I/O as an A/D converter for LE?

Looking for outboard a/d conversion into my 002r as I'm on the fence about investing in HD until I see what's going to happen.

I have a nice front end, and I'm pretty sure this could be done. Running all my front end in and out of the 96 then into the 002 via adat, the question... is the 96 going to give me noticeably better conversion? Or is it too similar to LE hardware. I was thinking, I could grab one that way I'm one step closer to HD if I want to go that route... and until the price of core cards go down, use it for conversion.

Perhaps, I'm crazy. In fact, I probably am. Just looking for a second opinion.
Old 11th November 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky ➑️
Looking for outboard a/d conversion into my 002r as I'm on the fence about investing in HD until I see what's going to happen.

I have a nice front end, and I'm pretty sure this could be done. Running all my front end in and out of the 96 then into the 002 via adat, the question... is the 96 going to give me noticeably better conversion? Or is it too similar to LE hardware. I was thinking, I could grab one that way I'm one step closer to HD if I want to go that route... and until the price of core cards go down, use it for conversion.

Perhaps, I'm crazy. In fact, I probably am. Just looking for a second opinion.

The 96IO is essentially the same as an 002 conversion-wise. Some here may argue that, and that's fine, but even if one were to argue that the converters are different, there is no real appreciable difference in converter quality.

I own one, so I'm embarrassed that I'm unsure of this, but I don't believe you can use the 96io as a standalone converter anyway...
Old 12th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
No, that's OK! I don't, and there is one going for cheap on ebay ($840 currently) so I was just throwing it out there. I'll probably keep waiting for digi/avid's next move. For now I'm making good records and money on my 002. Thanks for the input.

🎧 10 years
Nope, you can't use the 192 or 96i/o standalone. And even if you could - the cash involved could buy you a much better standalone converter than the 96io.
Lives for gear

If you want better conversion/clocking for your 002 setup AND want the ability to move up to PT|HD at some point and not have to invest in a new converter, get the Lynx Aurora8 with the LT-ADAT card (or the Lynx Aurora16 if you don't mind spending the extra cash now and waiting until you have PT|HD to use the other half of the unit).

When you move to PT|HD you'll be able to swap the LT-ADAT card for the LT-HD card and be up and running (no Digi interfaces required). Plus, the Aurora is the only 3rd party converter that is both port and sample accurate to the 192 i/o, which means it integrates flawlessly with PT|HD (no manual delay compensation calculations required).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You're telling me that the Lynx Aurora 16 can operate as a PT HD dongle? All I would need to do is grab my PCIe accel/core card?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just checked it out, wow I had no idea digi allowed a third party HD interface...
Lives for gear

Not just that but like I said it's the only 3rd party converter that is both sample and port accurate to the 192 i/o which is what PT|HD is hard coded for. This means that you can use outboard gear as inserts with full delay compensation and you don't have to do anything special, nor any manual calculations of delay times. Just plug in and go.

This also opens up the full i/o on the Aurora so you get 16x16 analog AND 16x16 AES/EBU digital up to 192kHz in a single rack unit with no noisy fan. You can have 1 Aurora16 per HD card in your system.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by You_Father_Sky ➑️
Just checked it out, wow I had no idea digi allowed a third party HD interface...
Companies who do third-party interfaces for PT HD:
Apogee (Rosetta, AD16X,DA16X)
Lynx (Aurora)
SSL (DeltaLink MADI -- comes from when SSL bought Soundscape and continues now)

All are licensing deals with Digi; the Apogee and Lynx need add on cards, the SSL doesn't.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alas it's not within my fall upgrade budget. But HD within the next year is going to be.
πŸ“ Reply