Quantcast
Building new computer w/ Protools 8 LE - recommendations? (vid card, processor..) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Building new computer w/ Protools 8 LE - recommendations? (vid card, processor..)
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Building new computer w/ Protools 8 LE - recommendations? (vid card, processor..)

Hey all,

Last CPU posts I found were at least a year old, so was looking to see if anyone here has thoughts on maybe how powerful of processor/motherboard/graphics card I should get for my home studio. Here's what I currently run with:

Protools 8 LE w/ mbox 2 and digi002
Plugins running during recording:
- Battery 3 for drums
- M-Audio KeyRig for Piano/Synths
- Autotune & Reverb effects on multiple mono vocal tracks
- miscellaneous other PT plugins (compression/eq/etc.)

I plan to stick with Windows xp, so I don't think I can go over 3 gbs of ram since I don't think PT runs on 64bit. So basically, any recommendations on how big of a graphics card I need, along with the processor and maybe motherboard?
I plan on building it myself and getting the stuff from Tigerdirect (unless someone recommends another site). Currently with what I stated above, I get CPU overload/buffer errors after about 10-15 tracks with the above pluggin's on using my 3yr old CPU that was mid to top of the line stuff, so I'd like to remedy that situation with this new CPU.

Appreciate the help, thanks!

-Justin
Old 10th November 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe this will make it easier...

Does this CPU look any good?

Creation Station RackXT | Sweetwater.com

Motherboard and CPU are:
XFX X58i Motherboard & Intel Core i7 920

Video Card is:
MSI GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 512MB DDR2

Does the video card matter at all when it comes to music? This one looked like crap. Should I only really focus on the processor? I would probably also do some video editing on it too.
Old 11th November 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Its a standard I7 920 system...
Sweetwater is weird though, I can't understand the logic in using 6gb of RAM + a 512mb video card in a 32-bit system...
The firewire on the motherboard most likely uses the VIA chipset. To use one of the firewire Pro tools interfaces you could possibly end up having to get separate firewire card from Siig or Syba... Gigabyte is my favorite manufacturer for build quality and because they normally use the TI firewire chipset
Pro tools LE will be compatible with that setup... but like I said... The firewire interfaces could give you trouble, and 6gb RAM is going to waste on a 32-bit system
I7 920 is a great choice, I would go with this MOBO
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
The combo with CPU + MOBO is
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
You'd be getting 4 RAM slots as opposed to 6, but if you are going with a 32-bit system then you'll only need 3 RAM slots anyway... 3 x 1gb is your best bet RAM wise...... As far as video cards... many people like the GeForce 9x00 fanless cards, however I personally like the fanless 4650 512mb card.....
Tigerdirect is a great site and I use it... but honestly I shop around to see who has the best deal, best shipping rates and any combo offers between Tigerdirect.com (Which is the same as compusa.com and circuitcity.com), Newegg.com (Which is the same as Chiefvalue.com) and on occasion NCIXUS.com
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cool, thanks a lot for your insite.

I think im set with the i7, I've read plenty of great reviews to convince me for its price.

I keep reading about this GIGABYTE motherboard... I've never even heard of Gigabyte before, is there a reason why all Pro-tools users are using it over either an ASUS or like an EVGA that would do the same thing? Or is it just because it's cheaper?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's not cheaper

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are all "Tier 1" motherboard manufacturers meaning they move the most product, have more money to put into new developments and have a generally better build quality
ECS, ASROCK are right underneath them and the rest (EVGA, XFX, DFI, Jetway, foxconn) bring up the rear
When it comes to Pro tools LE, the biggest interfaces are firewire. Well only a few companies makes firewire chips and they just sell them to all the motherboard makers.... well of those... Texas Instruments makes the one that has been found to be most reliable with Pro tools... almost guaranteed reliability as opposed to other companies like VIA whose firewire chipsets are spotty and best.
Well Gigabyte uses the TI firewire chipset in pretty much all of its boards... so they are tier 1, which means a big reputable company... The use 2oz copper PCB's, any of their boards with the "UD" in the name are made ultra durable with all solid capacitors, and a pretty strong build quality....
And they always have a great selection of boards that give a bunch of different options for each socket
For instance they have like 9 LGA 1156 motherboards
πŸ“ Reply