The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Shuttle cube pc's
Old 13th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Shuttle cube pc's

what do you think of the cube pc's from shuttle? They have 1pci 1 agp and everything else built in... dual monitor support, firewire, usb2, 6ch soundcard (to be disabled) Lan

Would this be a good investment, or should i go with the standard size pc?

Marsh
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I believe we will be using that as the basis for a new mobile Sequoia turnkey rig... They are pretty cool boxes.

--Ben
Old 14th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
do you find it a problem that it only has 1 pci slot?
marsh
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For a mobile rig, no... All you need is one PCI slot for a sound card. It also has firewire so you can go that route if you'd rather... Hard drives can be firewire as can an effects box like the new Powercore. Combine that with a small mobile LCD screen and keyboard and you've got a great road rig.

--Ben
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Assuming it meets your expansion needs, the biggest plus is the lack of noise. If you get the right model, it has a heat pipe cooling scheme that generates very little noise.

If Firewire and 1 PCI slot do it for you, it makes good sense to me.

Brian T
Old 14th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
hi folks,
i was inmediately interested on those mini-pcs as soon as they appeared on the market, as they could perfectly match my titanium in mobile setups (not to mention the fact that for less than $900 you could have a computer who'd beat ANY current mac desktop)

so i've been scanning the web since looking for tests and first hand opinions.

And the thing is they work, really well in fact, but they're very HOT and very NOISY. One customer told me he currently has his shuttle pc as a feet rest as it just burnt out.

And keep in mind that they all have 50dB+ noise (A weighted), which unfortunately makes them useless for audio (to me at least).

maybe if they adopt the new Centrino processor, things will slow down (in terms of heat and noise build up). For now we'll have to wait.

here're some tests from Tom's Hardware:

shuttle vs soltek

shuttle Vs others

your welcome
πŸ“ Reply