Quantcast
If you don't buy an apple flat screen, what do you buy? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you don't buy an apple flat screen, what do you buy?
Old 12th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
If you don't buy an apple flat screen, what do you buy?

I need a flat screen.

The apple ones are really expensive, even though they've come down in price.

There are loads more on the market out there for under 500 pounds.

I'm only doing music, not painting the mona lisa with photoshop.

Any ideas on a good 17" plus screen?
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Howdy,

The Viewsonics always seemed like a good deal to me. You can buy a 17" new for about $450-500 US.

When I was at MOTU we got a couple of their 18" LCD's and they looked pretty good. That was a good 5 years ago too.
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bev, just went through this...bought two NEC 1855nx lcd's 18" flats(dvi and vga) for 525.00 US.

check : mwave.com that's where we got ours. really nice. We also got a couple groovy articulated arms for moving them closer to the blind (me)

they look great and are probably cheaper now
Attached Thumbnails
If you don't buy an apple flat screen, what do you buy?-blind.jpg  
Old 12th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
that's more like it.

I love the apple screens.

but cmon

the market just isnt at the price apple are selling them at

Good one

That screen still doesn't look close enough though heh squint more!
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I went for a Formac Gallery.
I'm not sure if they're much cheaper than Apple but I'm very happy with it.
Old 12th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We also got a couple groovy articulated arms for moving them closer to the blind (me)
Where did you get the arm? Who makes it. I want one about twice that long though (.....that's what she said........sorry)

Old 13th May 2003
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Samsung 191T 19 inch for about $799. Absolutely the best picture I found in an LCD.
Old 13th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I would agree with the Samsung 191T, good value, good picture.......Best Buy!!
Makoto
Old 13th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
Where did you get the arm? Who makes it. I want one about twice that long though (.....that's what she said........sorry)

custom-products.com

ask for Jim. the build quality is really really good. They have an extention with another articulation that will do what you need. You can get a PDF catalogue at their site.
Old 13th June 2007
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've a couple of Dell 17" TFTs I'm very happy with. Under Β£200 if you shop around. $ port USB hubs in each, and they can pivot to portrait mode (supported in Tiger).
Old 13th June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm...an over four-year thread resurrection.

I guess we can thank you for using the search facility?
Old 14th June 2007 | Show parent
Audio Alchemist

Samsung
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have had a Dell 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen monitor for the last 3 months and it is absolutely fantastic for less than $700. They had some problems/complaints with earlier revisions, but these new ones are pretty much flawless. thumbsup
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➑️
I have had a Dell 2407WFP 24-inch Widescreen monitor for the last 3 months and it is absolutely fantastic for less than $700. They had some problems/complaints with earlier revisions, but these new ones are pretty much flawless. thumbsup
i got the same monitor and love it. really great for mixing, movies, music, gaming, whatever! using with a mac
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
check ACER al1916w , it's 19" for only about €170 in europe.
i got it, it works great.
IMO doesn't have sense to spend more than 200eur for an lcd monitor that will be used for audio stuff.

plenty of them on ebay:
here
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Newegg.com - ViewSonic Graphic Series VG2230wm Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 280 cd/m2 700:1 Height & Tilt Adjustments - Retail

I have this monitor. 22' widescreen and under $300 and with a good brand name.. can't beat it. I bought it based on the price and all the great newegg reviews (newegg reviewers rival gearslutz members in perfectionism) I used to have two CRT monitors in my mix room but this one has almost as much display area and takes up 1/6 the space on my desk. Almost no dead pixels..
Old 15th June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder ➑️
Hmm...an over four-year thread resurrection.

I guess we can thank you for using the search facility?
LOL. I didn't notice that as I found this thread via the "new posts" button. The question is relavant though as things change, they still stay the same I guess.
Old 16th June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LG - 19" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - L196WTQ-BF

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! It' almost a steal. Check out the specs!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz ➑️
I have 3!

They are one of the best values in LCD screens out there.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Dell 2407WFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahurts ➑️
I have 3!

They are one of the best values in LCD screens out there.

Anyone looking into an LCD should check them out. Keep in mind there are a few similar model numbers. Get a Dell Rep (small business) and they're yours for under $500. Samsung has a few like this as well for similar prices. Could be the same LCD panel as Samsung makes panels..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I only do audio so I went for 2 Western Digital 20" wide screens, only $250 a piece. They seem like the best deal to me. Nice to look at and 40 inches of screen real estate for $500!
Old 18th June 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another thing to consider is how the screen mounts. In many cases, you can remove the stand it comes with and mount the screen to your wall, or shelf, or suspend it on a bungee cord (we're talking low end here) or whatever. I mounted one on a hinged board, so I can law it down flat when I'm tracking a band and I need a better sight line for the player in the control room.
Old 18th June 2007 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Robb ➑️
LG - 19" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD Monitor - L196WTQ-BF

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome! It' almost a steal. Check out the specs!!

I just bought one a few hours ago from Circuit City (ten bucks cheaper, too -- [OOPS! Check that: my $210 is AFTER a $30 mail in rebate -- my bad!]. Unfortunately the DCLCD monitor I got through the I'll-never-do-business-with-them-again-kings TigerDirect (who ripped me off for a $70 rebate, too) -- also had great specs -- and the picture is still beautiful (though not as good as this by a substantial jump)... too bad a solenoid relay went wack on it (tick tick tick) starting about a week ago whenever it went to sleep. I managed to trick it back into operation a few times and turned off monitor sleep... but the monitor got turned off (it was going to happen) and would not come back all the way on (tick tick tick, black screen). I actually went so far as to bang it on the (carpeted) floor fairly hard. I guess, now that it's headed for the landfill, otherwise, maybe I'll try cracking the case (and that usually is the only way to get in, literally breaking the case, seems like). I got 13 months out of a $290 monitor. I coulda bought an Apple display at that rate... at 2003 prices, even, practically...

Anyhow... so far so good on the LG. It's about 4 hours old and it's still working.

Woo hoo.

It is a nice looking display. For sure. Amazing contrast ratio (dynamic range, baby) and I guess that makes the most of the already decent brightness spec. It seems much brighter than its now-comatose-and-presumably-vegetative predecessor... or maybe I just ran that thing pretty conservatively. Also, the ability to jive around with the gamma is welcome. I like the default but you can kick it up pretty good. As the monitor came out of the box, it had a fairly, you should pardon the expression, Mac-like vividness (higher gamma?). It was fun to see, but I backed the brightness and the contrast down from the defaults (which seemed high to me with brightness defaulting to 70/100 but I guess they're chasing that out-of-the-box experience like everyone else. And the user reviews seem to reflect that. A lot of Wows! and Great monitors! But then... there were a lot of those (more wary, though) in the user reviews for my recently fallen DCLCD (what kind of name is that, anyhow, for crying out loud?)

But, yeah, it's nice. I just didn't want to be spending the dough right now. (That said, I borrowed a little dome-screened 15" CRT and got it to run at 85 Hz with a 1280x1068 rez... and those colors were warm... but due to the convex screen, there wasn't a straight line on the thing... I do graphics all the time... that just won't play... and even with an 85 Hz refresh, it was still killing my eyes! (And when it first came up at 60 Hz, the CRT made me instantly queasy. I could seriously see the flicker quite distinctly. At 85 Hz, the CRT looked solid, but after an hour or so, I was using it to shop for a new LCD.)
πŸ“ Reply