Quantcast
What's the noise floor in your DAW? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the noise floor in your DAW?
Old 12th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What's the noise floor in your DAW?

What's the noise floor in your DAW, on ONE INPUT solo'd with nothing plugged into that AD channel?

If your daw doesn't readout that low, apply digital gain until you get a reading, and then subtract the gain to find out your noise floor. Or you can record an audio file from that one input and do the same.
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone else?
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
-95.9 db @ 16bit
-104.6 db @ 24bit
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'm not infront of it now but I think its in the -110 to - 114 db range w/ a lynxtwo
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why do you ask?
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah - what gives mr. flora?
Old 27th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm curious how noisy (or notnoisy) everyone's A/D converters are. It's sort of an indication of the quality of electricity or the converter itself.

Last time I checked, mine was [email protected] bits with a Lucid 8824, [email protected] with a Mytek, and [email protected] bits with an H8000.

I have transformer noise in my audio which comes up with large amounts of gain. What can you do about transformer hum? It comes from the electrical company transformer. grudge
Old 28th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Furman makes balanced power outlet boxes. take a look into them.

some electrical engineer people say they are b.s., but other studio people say they definitely help.

"hum" is something they are actually supposed to help.
Old 28th August 2004
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have an equitech but it doesn't kill this hum.

I spoke with the people at furman and they said I need an IT reference to kill this hum. I doubt I need to spend $3000 to fix this though. Any recommendations?
Old 10th March 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The rule is that for every 1 bit, it amounts to 6dB of headroom. So...

16-bit = 96dB
24-bit = 144dB
Old 10th March 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora ➑️
I have an equitech but it doesn't kill this hum.

I spoke with the people at furman and they said I need an IT reference to kill this hum. I doubt I need to spend $3000 to fix this though. Any recommendations?
I would check the ground connection first. With equitech and a good ground you should be able to eliminate power related hum. If the hum is still there you have to look elsewhere, eg RFI , components etc
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Some sort of hardwood - Oak, I believe.
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeflora ➑️
What's the noise floor in your DAW, on ONE INPUT solo'd with nothing plugged into that AD channel?
Hi!

Such a test makes little sense since the thermal noise of the input will be much higher than what it will be in real use.

You should terminate the input with something like 50-100ohm which is a typical line stage output impedance.

The difference between 100ohm and 10kohm is approx. 20dB.

/Peter
Old 11th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Uhhh.... My son's hardcore band, count as noise?

I'd say it's between -1 and 0 dB
Old 11th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop ➑️
You should terminate the input with something like 50-100ohm which is a typical line stage output impedance.
Like this. You don't measure an open input, as you never USE an open input. If you use it, something's connected and then there's an impedance relation between the source's output and your A/D input, which makes a difference in input noise. The least thing you do is short the input, then measure. Then... do you measure spikes, RMS, A-weighted, etc.etc. ...

That said, last time I looked with either the HCL or the JLM dual 99v with something like a Heil PR20 plugged in and the input turned up all the way it was something around close to nothing on the FF800 input. I think it was a pretty silent day.

To look at the noise floor of the DAW (not the A/D) I recorded a few seconds of track where no signal was routed. That gave a signal according to sampling theory at 24 bits.
πŸ“ Reply