Cubase 5 or Magix Samplitude 11 or No Pro Tools LE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 5 or Magix Samplitude 11 or No Pro Tools LE
Old 18th September 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase 5 or Magix Samplitude 11 or No Pro Tools LE

Hi,
I've worked the last years with Pro Tools LE(currently the 8.0 version), but I don't like this delay problem of PT and this track limitation(YES I NEED MORE THAN 64 TRACKS). The only things that I like in PT are editing and the mixer view.

Now I want to ask you GS,
What do you think about going to Samplitude 11 or Cubase 5. ???

ps. I can't go for Logic, cause I don't have a mac...my PC Intel Core Quad 4 GIG RAM

THX
Old 18th September 2009
Deleted User
They all seem to get new features more often than changes to workflow. If you like PT's editing and mixer view, you probably wouldn't like changing. It seems easier to compensate for missing features than to deal with a workflow you don't like. OTOH, you may prefer the new workflow, but that's a gamble. I like my Cubase 5 right now, but I'm thinking of Pro Tools too.
Old 18th September 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sampie all the way...

I first jumped on Samplitude at version 5. I was using a ProTools Mix system at work and had Logic @ home. Logic (for Windows) was giving me fits. I got a demo of Samp & was hooked.

Important Features:

-Object (region) level non-destructive editing, mixing & plugins
-Elastic Audio: Samplitude's timestretching/pitch-correcting algorithm. I never use Autotune, it's right on the object (it's also the predecessor to PT's Elastic Time)
-a fantastic plugin suite
-direct CD burning form the project. Also you can archive to DVD from the project.
-latency compensation & latency compensation for outboard hardware (pings loops to calculate offset)
-best multi-core implementation I've used.

The big deal for me is that everything I need is contained in the DAW.

I use DP, Logic, & sometimes PT. Samplitude is what "PT Native" should be and is, like PT for DSP-based sytems, one of the oldest & best developed "native-power" DAWs out there (supposedly Samplitude was the first DAW to be non-destrcutive).
Old 18th September 2009
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb2002 ➑️
Hi,
I've worked the last years with Pro Tools LE(currently the 8.0 version), but I don't like this delay problem of PT and this track limitation(YES I NEED MORE THAN 64 TRACKS). The only things that I like in PT are editing and the mixer view.

Now I want to ask you GS,
What do you think about going to Samplitude 11 or Cubase 5. ???

ps. I can't go for Logic, cause I don't have a mac...my PC Intel Core Quad 4 GIG RAM

THX
If your a MIDI guy, go for Cubase, Samp aint there yet. If not, either one would be good.

Download Samps demo

"The big deal for me is that everything I need is contained in the DAW" Huge plus there
Old 18th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit ➑️
If your a MIDI guy, go for Cubase, Samp aint there yet. If not, either one would be good.

Download Samps demo
Amen, Samplitude has not the MIDI possibilities Cubase has to offer, but it's a wonderfull program, especially for mastering and mixing audio
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like Samplitude and for audio it is a great program with some very good plugins. The PRO version costs $1000 and you would need this as the Classic version at 599 is limited to 64 tracks.

But overall, I feel Cubase is better as it has a better balance of audio and MIDI features IMHO, certainly stronger on the MIDI side. I also prefer it's GUI and workflow. It lacks CD burning, but given the price difference, you can buy Wavelab Studio or SOny's CD Architect and have this plus Cubase for similar money. Most of those features in Samplitude are available in Cubase, and there are some features in Cubase not in Samplitude, such as Variaudio.

You could also consider Sonar PE. Version 9 is coming out soon and this is also a very powerful program. Samplitude and Sonar have demos, so you could try them out, Cubase 5 has no demo, but there are lots of youtube videos showcasing it's workflow and power on a range of audio and MIDI tasks.
Deleted User
Sonar 8.5 just came out as a paid upgrade, rather than Sonar 9. I read that from Cakewalk employees on their forum. It looks really good. In some ways, Sonar has a more similar track view and mix view to Pro Tools. No dongle. 64-bit version, choice of audio interface, etc. Matrix view like in Ableton Live. Nice people. Good synths and plug-ins included.

Cubase 5: I love Variaudio -- built in pitch correction. Great for MIDI. VSTs work well in it. My choice of audio interface. Stable, 64-bit version already. With Workspaces (windows config presets), I'm liking the multiple windows interface better than before. I think that's one of the more difficult issues -- managing your windows in Cubase. Workspaces really help.

I like Pro Tools' simplicity in its design. Adjustments by key command more than mouse-pointer.

Those are some advantages I see among those three packages.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQM ➑️
The PRO version costs $1000 and you would need this as the Classic version at 599 is limited to 64 tracks.
Wrong. Samplitude 11 has 128 tracks. About 500 euros.

http://www.samplitude.com/uploads/SA...Comparison.pdf

ns
Old 19th September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Most of those features in Samplitude are available in Cubase, and there are some features in Cubase not in Samplitude, such as Variaudio.
Incorrect. Samplitude has had Elastic Audio (Melodyne-esque) feature for years now.

Crossgrade deals are available, and a good deal, since Samplitude has CD/DVD burn, etc.

I use Samplitude for everything MIDI now. I don't feel that I'm missing anything in this regard.

Many mix-houses are adopting Samplitude's big-brother Sequoia, which has the same audio editing features as Samplitude.

There are also new skins (including 3rd party), and custom docking and color-wheel for custom colors of objects, tracks, etc.

Greg
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Well, one very important feature Samplitude does not have is manual.
Samplitude is a very powerful and complicated program. Still, there is no manual. There's a leaflet written in germlish but it is only a poor reference. Software costing a grand should come with a good manual. My conclusion about this situation is that Magix does not want their users to learn to use the software, or they just don't care about that.

However, there is a very good user forum and there are some great instructional videos available. The videos are made by Samplitude users, not by Magix.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom ➑️
Samplitude is a very powerful and complicated program. Still, there is no manual. There's a leaflet written in germlish but it is only a poor reference. Software costing a grand should come with a good manual. My conclusion about this situation is that Magix does not want their users to learn to use the software, or they just don't care about that.

However, there is a very good user forum and there are some great instructional videos available. The videos are made by Samplitude users, not by Magix.
What are You talking about? I'm evaluating the trial version, and it has an English manual, 680 pages English..
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The 500 euros Samplitude 11 is missing quite a few plugins and features of the PRO version though. They only just updated from 10 Classic which only had 64 tracks, sheesh, give a man a break already ....

Elastic audio is not exactly the same as Variaudio.

It all comes down to personal preference, all of these sequencers give you the tools you need to do professional work.

I just get tired of people knocking Cubase, it's had it's issues in the past, but with the new Yamaha built interfaces and Cubase 5 with a lot of great features, it's more than back in the game as far as I'm concerned. But as mentioned, try the demo for Sonar and Samplitude and see what fits your need best.

Also - in the USA, Cubase 5 costs the equivalent of 340 euros.
Deleted User
Quote:
I just get tired of people knocking Cubase, it's had it's issues in the past, but with the new Yamaha built interfaces and Cubase 5 with a lot of great features, it's more than back in the game as far as I'm concerned. But as mentioned, try the demo for Sonar and Samplitude and see what fits your need best.
For the record Cubase is primary DAW so by law IM allowed to slam it as much as I want. Your right though, it seems people look at Cubase like its the Cubase VST version of yesteryear. Its a LOT diff now thank God. Im looking at
Steinberg MR816CSX to replace my MOTU828MKii here as well
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't want to get into a war of words or start making generalizations about people, but there is definately a certain ratio of Samp/Sequoia users who have a superiority complex about their DAW of choice IMHO, often based on old data i.e. 'Audio program which adds MIDI is better for audio than a MIDI program which adds Audio', and many who will argue until they are beyond blue in the face and in need of an Emergency Room that it 'sounds' better. Including nulling tests with raw audio, same pan laws and no plugins, which always nulls with Cubase 5, Sonar, Logic etc - meaning they all sound the same !!

They, along with Sonar users, also never moan about their product in public, unlike Cubase users, who are among the biggest whiners around (self included). It's not that there aren't issues and bugs with either of these programs, there are and always has been, in a similar ratio to Cubase, just that they don't moan about it as much !!!

This is not a dig at either of these programs, but given that a certain ratio of users left Cubase, some of these users feel a constant need to bash it and be evangelical about their new DAW, much like my mother, a smoker for 15 years, quit for 22 years now and now spends her time causing nuisance in public by seeking out anyone smoking where they shouldn't be and giving them hell for breaking the law and threatening to call the cops on them. If you so much as smell faintly of smoke (say you were stood downwind of a smoker outside), she will make you take a shower and change and will immediately do the 'dirty' laundry - and I don't live with her, she has always insisted we leave a couple of changes of clothes with her to ensure we meet her standards !!!

I'm not evangelical about Cubase, I use Logic at work and if someone bought me a Mac, I would probably get Logic and use it just as happily as Cubase. I could use Sonar or Samplitude after a bedding in period just as easily. The real skills lie with the human operating the software, not the other way around.
Old 19th September 2009
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
First off Samplitude 11 has all the midi functions that 90% of the people who record need. Second, it offers better plug ins, allows you to burn CD's, offers a lot of the capabilities of Wavelab all wrapped up in one. Not to mention the power object editor capabilities. Go here Introduction > Tutorial videos > Community > Samplitude
so see all the detailed tutorial videos on using Samplitude...it's amazing. Cubase 5 is also a great program, but it does not offer all the capabilities that Samp offers. I used to use Cubase, but I switched to Samp and am a lot happier.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thought about samp 11, but just isnt worth me spending $1000 on...
maybe i have to try 11, but if its not THAT much better than 10... i'll stay where i am with nuendo and S1

sonar i tried a liked some things but others just irritated me... though the first daw i ever used was cakewalk pro audio 6 LOL

long time nuendo user i currently really enjoy studio one.
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I know what Samplitude can do - and I agree that it's FX plugins are of a higher quality than Cubase's - Samplitude PRO version at least - although it comes with less plugins. (but covers all the essential stuff). In both cases, you'd probably still want to use 3rd party plugins at least in part, so neither are a 'perfect' solution.

CD Burning - As an audio editor, Wavelab is better and more intuitive IMO, it also includes better metering and more professional broadcast formats. Wavelab Studio is more akin to Samplitude's CD authoring. In the USA at least (and Canada), you can buy Cubase 5 and Wavelab Studio for around the same money as Samplitude PRO.

Samplitude gives you a nice all in one package solution, but there are some advantages for both choices.

Whatever makes anyone happy is always the best choice, regardless of the name on the box.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
B&h video has samp for 499
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i had samp 10.2 pro and loved it, except for some generic USB bugs and issues with my n12. so i sold it

but for me it looks alot more like PT than C5

C5 is my main daw now and i still don't like how it looks, or really the workflow, but thats cause i am mostly an audio guy who likes a console look.

i loved the look of PT LE at a friends house and am on the fence now about buyin it. but ADC and all the limitations make me realize its a step backwards from full blow cubase or Samp

i have a mac now so its C5 and Logic 9 for me

both of which i dislike the look of!

fantastic!
LQM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's all about familiarity - I started off on Cubase and have always loved it's GUI and layout. I have grown to love Logic given I use it every day, but found it's GUI and workflow a bit of a challenge for a long time, Apple have made it more accessible in Logic 8 and 9, the old Emagic Logic Platinum 5 on PC was really a mindf*ck for me. I don't like Samplitude's layout and mixer screen as much as Cubase, but it's what you're used to and I acknowledge this. I could get used to it in time if I decided to go that route.

B and H video have Samplitude TEN CLassic at 499. The Pro version is 999. According to their website at least. And now 11 is out, they might not have it in stock. Remember that Classic 10 has 64 tracks maximum (11 classic 128 tracks) and is missing some of the best plugins from Pro.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been a Sequoia user for 5 years & love it.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom ➑️

I have the manual in my hand, and it's been updated, and is very helpful, and it's in ENGLISH.

Greg
Old 21st September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
What do you guys think, about mixing and sound quality.???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What do you guys think, about mixing and sound quality.???
Everybody likes their host, so everybody will chime in.

I love Samplitude for everything front-to-back, and great 'transparent' sound quality. Especially nice for tracking, mixing, and mastering. Object editing makes it very fast to get things done.

Oh, and Samp. 11 has 128 tracks, and Pro has up to 999 tracks (whatever that means)

Greg
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusbliss ➑️

Oh, and Samp. 11 has 128 tracks, and Pro has up to 999 tracks (whatever that means)

Greg
What other major differents are between the pro and the normal one.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
This is not meant to knock Cubase and I know people make major hits using it since sx 3..BUT

When I switched to Samplitude 10 in 2007 it was mainly because the little things Cubase did when editing audio.. For example does freeze work without problems in cubase 5? Do random samples get added to audio edits when gluing parts? Is the midi really tight and in sync with the audio during simple vsti playback? Does Steinberg acknowledge bugs and problems and fix them?...(In the past they just seemed to ignore everyone BUT that was a while ago).

These are just some problems I had before that made me start looking elsewhere. These could of been specific to my system but I remember reading allot of forum users with the same issues. Samplitude has always been rock solid for me in these areas and more. Samplitude is not for everyone and it takes A LONG TIME to fully understand because it interacts with audio differently than most DAWs (I have used)..I know Cubase has gone through some change since 3. Would love to hear from someone using both..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What other major differents are between the pro and the normal one.
Read this chart.

http://www.samplitude.com/uploads/SA...Comparison.pdf

ns
Old 22nd September 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope ➑️
it seems that the normal and pro version are almost the same. I think it is a little hard to go over 128 tracks in a normal pop or hiphop song. heh

Now, is it possible to use a external comp in the mix using magix without latancy. lets say using 1024 buffer size, and wanna use a urei 1176 on vocals.or use a tc m3000 reverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
it seems that the normal and pro version are almost the same. I think it is a little hard to go over 128 tracks in a normal pop or hiphop song. heh

Now, is it possible to use a external comp in the mix using magix without latancy. lets say using 1024 buffer size, and wanna use a urei 1176 on vocals.or use a tc m3000 reverb.
yes, you can ping any external hardware for optimum low-latency settings, which would vary depending on the type of device.

Greg
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
11 & 11 Pro and very similar apart from track count. Just no analog suite, deesser, Vandal amp sim and a few other various oddments. You can actually try the Samplitude 10 download Version for a 30 day demo to give it a thorough workout on your particular system. It has most of 11's major features. 64 tracks but enough to give you an idea if it'll be suitable for what you do and how. It has external FX capability and most all the audio and midi stuff. No synths.

Samplitude 10 DLV > Shop > Samplitude

This is the complete list of changes from v10 to v11.

Board Message

ns

Last edited by nightscope; 22nd September 2009 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: more
πŸ“ Reply