The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread
Old 26th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go ➡️
That's cool!
How does it behave when you high-pass it? The oscilloscope shows a very slight effect of HPF with a very low cutoff.
sorry, i didn't see this one...it looks about the same with a HPF.
i would assume this one (scope) has a HPF after the clipping because the thick "fuzz" tilts with the wave. i think if it were before, then the fuzz would not be symmetrical. i mean...obviously that's not whats going on, it (thick top n bottom) must be just a graphic/display thing on the old scope, but its fun to pretend...

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 26th February 2022 at 10:20 AM..
Tokyo Dawn Labs

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MogwaiBoy ➡️
Question: Is it true that only VST3 plugins can input and output 64-bit floating point audio?
No, it started as a VST2 extension, and is now widely adopted. The true bottleneck was plugin hosts not supporting it, though. But this got much better.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel bad for getting you guys all excited about the latest analog modeling tech (my noise clipper) and not giving you a sample…so here it is…
Clipper Shootout 2020

I cranked the fuzz up and it did wonders for the guitar tone, but kind of smears the snare transient a little. It’s always a compromise, so whatever. It can sound a little better…but then it wouldn’t be as funny, would it ?

*edit: i am nervous because i saw developers here trying to steal my idea for profit so i will make it open source and then brain-wacks can't try and pat pend it...
anyone with Reaper can try it (JSFX), have fun, don't hurt yourself. It can be a cool “gimmick” on (synth) kick drums (set just right) to get a little more snap/cut through without eq. Maybe I modeled a component of my electibe by accident, who knows. (It will go over 0 because of the noise and I don’t believe in gain compensation (lol), so just keep that in mind. I start with output @ -3. It probably would make more sense for some to just have a ceiling but I work @0 and above)
the code might be sloppy and redundant, but so am i, so whatever.
(it's not like someone (dev) with half a brain couldn't have figured this out anyways, they're just smart enough not to. )
Attached Files
File Type: txt StinkyFuzzClip.txt (945 Bytes, 30 views)

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 27th February 2022 at 12:08 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR ➡️
No, it started as a VST2 extension, and is now widely adopted. The true bottleneck was plugin hosts not supporting it, though. But this got much better.
Thank you for clearing this up, Fabien
Old 28th February 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
so i know the stuff bouncing back down off the top half of this spectrogram is aliasing...right ?
what about the stuff on the bottom ?
do frequencies go "negative" (below DC) and get mirrored back up ?
apparently so...

what to make of this ? is this all aliasing ? or something else ?

*this is a 6dB/s amplitude sweep where the applied gain is being truncated to 16 bit (stepped gain). The source is 12kHz @ 48 kHz.

*i assume this is because sampling is done on a band limited signal and DC is basically like Nyquist.
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-screen-shot-2022-02-28-4.59.05-am.png   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-screen-shot-2022-02-28-5.04.51-am.png  

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 28th February 2022 at 02:24 PM..
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Negative frequencies appear in discrete Fourier transform,
see here http://www.dspguide.com/ch10/3.htm
Although, I don't understand why harmonics behave this way. This looks like a multiplication of the underlying signal with a frequency sweep, so sum and difference products appear. But where does the frequency sweep come from?
Old 1st March 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by meloco_go ➡️
But where does the frequency sweep come from?
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-12kas.gif

the amplitude sweep range is -96 dBFS to 0 dBFS, the gain increment is +0.000125 dB (96 dB / 768,000 samples) for each sample (gain += increment). gain is converted from dB to V, then it's truncated to 16 bit before multiplying with the sine wave.

(*i start late and stop early (.gif) to save file size and focus on only the interesting parts lol)
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-12kas.gif  

Last edited by stinkyfingers; 1st March 2022 at 11:00 PM..
Old 3rd March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➡️

the amplitude sweep range is -96 dBFS to 0 dBFS, the gain increment is +0.000125 dB (96 dB / 768,000 samples) for each sample (gain += increment). gain is converted from dB to V, then it's truncated to 16 bit before multiplying with the sine wave.

(*i start late and stop early (.gif) to save file size and focus on only the interesting parts lol)
Hmm, I guess this means that by log to linear conversion the sweep gets truncated for an unequal number of samples at the bottom of the range than at the top? Eg. for 20 samples in a row at the bottom, but for 5 at the higher level (just as an example)? This should add modulation with a frequency sweep.
Old 31st March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

What would cause this ripple?

Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-epure-ripple.gif

Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-lp-ripple.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-lp-ripple.gif   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-epure-ripple.gif  
Old 31st March 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-wtf.gif

Blink and you miss it

Attached Thumbnails
Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-wtf.gif   Lets do it: The Ultimate Plugin Analysis Thread-noise.gif  
Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani ➡️

Does the plugin have oversampling? Is it on? If you turn it off, does the same thing happen?

Certain designs can cause a phase shift even when there's no processing happening.
Old 2nd April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

No oversampling options but this EQ is designed to work correctly at all sample rates.

Sample rate was set at 44.1 kHz, then 48 kHz while using the Bertom - EQ Curve Analyzer. with show phase turned off.

To be fair on Flux, the LPF didn't the ripple every time the frequency knob reached its limit, though enough to reproduce in a small session.
Old 7th April 2022 | Show parent
Cytomic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPani ➡️
If the plugin analysis plot looks normal when you don't move the frequency knob, even when up high, then this is most because the plugin isn't designed to be modulated smoothly, and is "jumping" part way through an analysis "ping". I tested with The Drop and there are no such wobbles / jumps, but The Drop is designed to be modulated (at audio rate) and preserves the structure of the circuit in the model.
📝 Reply