Quantcast
A pretty cool rumor for you Mac fans - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A pretty cool rumor for you Mac fans
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A pretty cool rumor for you Mac fans

Well, though this is not official, and rumors are merely rumors, nevertheless I felt like some serious speed hype might be encouraging to Mac users waiting to go faster.

So HERE is the link to a French Mac site with purported benchmarks on the upcoming IBM PPC 970.

If these are anywhere close to real, it's a very impressive leap forward. Frankly, at this point the Intel/AMD side of things is much more powerful than the current G4 Macs, measured objectively. But the AMD Opteron is a disappointment after the hype, being merely evolutionary, not revolutionary, and Intel has only incremental speed bumps coming. There will be no real earthshaking CPU developments on the PC side for some time, I believe.

If the PPC 970 is really this powerful, not only will it eclipse the current Macs badly (can you say "boat anchor"?), it will crank the Mac to the head of the DAW class for the forseeable future, IMO. It will also vastly hasten the irrelevance of dedicated hardware DSP (read PTHD Process cards).

My only question is, will the PPPC 970 require a 64 bit OS, or can it, like the Opteron, run natively on both 32 and 64 bit OS? If it requres a 64 bit OS, it will likely be quite some time before it's running a pro DAW, unfortunately.

Regards,
Brian T
Old 6th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Re: the 970...

My contact tells me that it will run a 32bit OS. But that you wont be seeing the full potential until it does have a 64bit OS running natively on it.
However the tests that are said to have been done, were with a standard (pretty much) install of a beta of OS10.3
Kinda like the situation Mac users had with Dual Processor machines under OS9 but (it seems) much more so....

I'd like to stress however that my information is (so I'm told) 3rd hand lol

Al.
Old 6th May 2003
Founder

Forcast of date when a multitrack DAW will be able to make use of this? (Say Logic)

???

Old 6th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Well OS10.3 (and hopefully...the 970 CPU) will be released end of June or sometime in July.... and Emagic will already certainly have 10.3 running in their test suites. So I would guess that Logic will be running on this by then, but wont be optimised for it.
I reckon Logic will be making advantage of this by maybe.... November? Then we'll need Apple to make OS10 full 64bit... and I wouldn't like to even guess at this lol!!!!

Al.
Old 6th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
I thought that OSX going to 64 bit was nothing more than a tweak and that a lot of that was 'in there' already. A bit like the code for USB 2 is already in there but hasn't been 'activated'.

When you look at the development of the Xcluster stuff (for those of you who didn't know, Apple are developing a 'supercomputer' retailing at around Β£50k which houses 64 processors!) they have been working on this stuff for a very long time, and a bit like the iTunes music store thing, when it arrives it will already be working, if you know what i mean. If they can get 64 processors running together in harmony at 64 bit then I'm sure that they've tested it!

Another thing the rumors say is that the new motherboard designs alone are providing SIGNIFICANT speed increases.

And if as rumors suggest, a dual 970 outperforms a dual g4 by (up to) 256% then we'll all be happy (and rather stunned) And that's running non-optimised apps. Imagine how fast they'll be when the code is bespoke. Wow.

Let's not also forget that the upcoming release of 'Panther' the new OS X 10.4 is slated for release around about the same time as the 970 if not a little before - perhaps that explains why the changes aren't so 'cosmetic' and why no one's really got much news on it apart from a few finder changes etc. It's housing the new architecture()perhaps)

If this is true, then it will be possibly the single biggest step forward Apple have ever made. At the same time as the other big chip manufacturers are starting to dispel the 'megahertz myth' themselves.

Blimey.

Probably never happen.
Old 6th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Co-incidence that Digi's Massive plug pack incentive is so timely with this news?..

Is there any reason why Digi hardware-Mix or HD PCI cards will be incompatible with the 970's?

Thanks
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"Bryce is not multi processor capable, and some of the
other benchmark results appear to have been lifted straight from a Bare
Feats benchmark test (and they use a custom suite, which makes getting
the same results rather unlikely, esp to the same second...)

This has been dissected by all sorts of people, and the general
conclusion is that MacBidouille have been had.

This thread is the single most informative place on the net about the
970 processor. Wade through the 55+ pages of it and you'll learn an
awful lot... I'm still digesting a lot of it.

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/
page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=3470943335&r=8120943465#8120943465

This is full of maclots, but they still realise it's a fake.

http://www.macrumors.com/"

I'm quoting from another audio group poster who replied with this quote when i posted up the MacBidouille link..you guys might find it an interesting angle..
Old 7th May 2003
Founder

"Co-incidence that Digi's Massive plug pack incentive is so timely with this news?..

Is there any reason why Digi hardware-Mix or HD PCI cards will be incompatible with the 970's?

Thanks"

---------------------------------------------

Will this make a nonsence of PTHD?

Quality wise?
Price wise?

Is the power on demand uniqueness at risk?

Will any decent control surfaces emerge?

Thanks

Jules
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Forcast of date when a multitrack DAW will be able to make use of this? (Say Logic)

???

Before the Apple aquisition, I would have said 18-24 months. Now, who knows? All in one shop, it could be late this year I suppose.

Awww, screw that. 18 months........

BT
Old 7th May 2003
Mac Moderator

🎧 15 years
Renie,
Regarding those MacBidouille results. They say that the Bryce yests were with a Beta of v6 that is Dual aware. Plus that Apple use the Barefeats results as a comparison.... I dunno....
Here's what the creditable Macrumors site got back from MacBidouille: "We contacted our source about the too big similitudes between the benchs we received and those published by Barefeats, and were told that Apple took the numbers of the P IV and dual 1.42 from Barefeats and used their testing protocol. For Bryce [nonoche:not supporting multiple processors], here's the explanation we got:
"I should have told you, the benchmarks with Bryce... were done on a beta of a forthcoming version of Bryce, which should be released in July or August this year. Version 6 will support multiple processors... Bryce 6 beta is available on a few P2P sites, notably on hotline. The real file is Corel Bryce 6 beta.sit, and takes 91.2 MB"
We do not think this is a hoax in any case. A number of details of the dialogs we've been having for 2 months have been reaffirmed in several occasions, starting by the presence of the PPC 970 at the WWDC and the 64 bits optimisation of Panther. We mostly see there a lack of comprehension linked to the language barrier."

We'll see soon enough.

Al.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Al,

Yes it'll all be clearer soon...

Do you know anything about PCI-X? will it mean Digi hardware is elbowed out..?

thanks
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Hi Al,

Yes it'll all be clearer soon...

Do you know anything about PCI-X? will it mean Digi hardware is elbowed out..?

thanks

PCI-X is "supposed" to be backwards compatible with current PCI hardware. But you know how that goes, especially as proprietary as Digi tends to be.

It should work, but dos that mean it will?

BT
Old 7th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
now that would be a laugh if digi forced yet another upgrade.
Old 7th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes or imagine the shoehorning to come..
Old 7th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
At least this new version 10.2.6 seems stable. I've plugged all my USB connector back in and no kernel crash, thank f.

My finder keeps 'going away' and then 'coming back' though. Wierd.
Old 7th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
MacBidouille claims that the 970 is cleared for production... and as of April 15th will start production in IBM facilities.

The PowerPC 970 is the rumored successor to the current PowerPCs used in Apple's computers. MacBidouille has had a variable history of accuracy regarding rumor postings... and has been a particular vocal source of 970 rumors in the recent days.
Old 7th May 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
PCI-X is the updated standard for the PCI bus which allows for 64 bit PCI cards. The bus runs at over 1ghz, meaning the throughput allowed for the cards is gynormous. You could run a U320 SCSI drive at a full 320 MB/s burst and you'd not even be using a third of the power. The next (or next next) wave of pci graphics cards should be based around this technology to take maximum advantage of their speed. I'm waiting on someone to build a dedicated $2-3k PCI-X DSP card/breakout-rackmount that will blow away an array of PT DSP farms. It will happen. PCI-X hasn't caught on yet though...so here's to waiting.

The PCI bus has long been the one thing that hasn't been updated, and its about time they finally got around to it.

There's a few server/workstation MOBOs currently for sale out there with the PCI-X boards...and they aren't terribly expensive. But besides Adaptec's new u320 SCSI controllers I don't really know what cards (if any) currently use 64 bit PCI-X.

btw a PCI-X board is totally backwards compatible (to 32 bit, 33/66mhz cards). The 64 bit Adaptec cards are also backwards compatible with normal PCI boards...but of course their performance will be hugely diminished.
Old 8th May 2003
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
xcluster

If this xcluster is for real, maybe there would be value in getting that instead of a 50K # console? You could get alot of plugs in Logic with 64 processors...
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: xcluster

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Legend
If this xcluster is for real, maybe there would be value in getting that instead of a 50K # console? You could get alot of plugs in Logic with 64 processors...
Imagine buying $100,000 worth of high end Macs in 1990 rather then a $100,000 console of the day. THe console would still be very useful, whereas the Macs would be recycled by now. I think that we have plenty of plug in power right now, to be very honest.
Old 11th May 2003
There is only one

🎧 15 years
Re: Re: xcluster

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
I think that we have plenty of plug in power right now, to be very honest.
not yet... but in 5 years i think we will be seeing better stuff happening [if they dont bloat the system/apps along with it]. im still maxing out my dualGHZ and want more.
Old 11th May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to plugs
Old 11th May 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
He's a maximist.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…