Quantcast
Recommended Reading on Mixing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommended Reading on Mixing?
Old 5th May 2003
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Question Recommended Reading on Mixing?

I was wondering if some of you could recommend some good reading on the "art of mixing"? I've done plenty already on various internet sites from here to ProRec and beyond, but I'm thinking a good lengthy book on the subject might do me a better bit of good as well.

So far I know that:
  • My mixes are way off.
  • I need a good pair of monitors (still in the research phase of this aspect) to hear what I'm doing wrong.
  • It's all subjective and there's no hard and fast "rules", to an extent anyways.
  • Sounds need their own place in the spectrum to be heard clearly, but I have no real clue as to where a particular sound that I'm using at a given time's "range" starts and ends or how to determine what it might be.
  • A few other things I've forgotten already.
Also, I suppose it should be mentioned that I need something that applies to DAW mixing. Everything I do is "in the machine", or in other words, I currently don't use any outboard gear. I'm not sure if it matters in the grand scheme of things, but if mixing in say, Cubase or Reason is different than doing it on a typical desk/mixer, I wanna know about that too.

Cheers,
Jk

P.s. And for bonus points, if any of you are magnanimous enough to offer me a little guidance, maybe you can check out a track I'm working on (read: not done yet) and tell me what you hear wrong in the mix and/or how I may go about fixing it.
Old 5th May 2003
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yeah, I've gathered that pretty much. But, unfortunately, I've few "music friends" and the one's I DO have are in the same motorless boat down some backwater tributary as me, so it's mostly me lone rangering it and learning what I can when I can for now.
Old 5th May 2003
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Then when your chops are getting better...go get a few songs mastered with someone you can sit in with. THAT will be very educational.
๐Ÿ“ Reply