Quantcast
Any Samplitude Users? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Samplitude Users?
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any Samplitude Users?

how come i can't get it to play back at 32 or even 24? when i select driver communication to one of these it doesn't play...next to the play and record tool bar it say 24 bit play back!! or 32bit but no playback..i don't understand why...it works fine when i put it at 16...also when i export files why is it default reduced to 16bit?

I have a delta 66 which is capable of 24/96 recording
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How about a little more info... What OS/computer? What version of Samplitude are you using?

You may find better luck with your question at news.sekd.com/alt.sekd. If you are running Version 7, post on the registered users board as the developers hang out there and can probably help you as well.

I use Sequoia (Samplitude's highest level of DAW), but I don't use that card... Perhaps I can help a bit.

--Ben
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use version 6... i'm on windows xp pro
dual athlon mp1900+

i'm thinking it might be because of xp pro and the drivers cuz xp doesn't use mme

well the delta 66 is a cheapy soundcard

i figured out a way to mix down to 24/96 so i'm half way done
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Under system options, you have to enable 32 bit button under "playback" tab...
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i did do that....when i do, do that it doesn't play...thats the dilemma
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whats the difference with sequoia and samplitude anyway? is it different software or comes with H/W?

what are your thoughts on the virtual mixer in samplitude is useable or dare i say it good?
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm thrilled with the mixer in Sequoia/Samplitude.

As far as differences go (from my post inhttps://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=3822):

www.samplitude.com

Samplitude and Sequoia are built on the same basic mix engine. The short answer is that Sequoia is their high-end software and Samplitude is more mid-level.

I'll start with the URL for Sequoia 7.1:

http://www.samplitude.com/de/seq71_info_center.htm

Sequoia has everything that Samplitude offers plus a lot of extra stuff. Probably the coolest thing is the cross-fade editor and 4point editing.

Until recently, there really wasn't much difference between Samplitude and Sequoia. Through version 6.0, the biggest things you saw different were the abilities to do 4-point editing, the fade editor, and some administrative tools.

Since then, there are some pretty siginificant differences (besides the ones I mentioned above). They include support for other sound file formats like SDII, The ability to natively generate DDP (1.01 or 2.0) images for replication, an Impulse response generator tool (for the Real-Time Room Sim), some options for high-end sound restoration plugins (Algorithmix NOVA- at $3000!)... Features will also be showing up in Sequoia from now on before they show up in Samplitude. There are probably others that I'm forgetting, but these are the big ones.

If you have specific questions, drop me a line or reply here...

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Another thought on your issues... What driver model are you using? WDM, MME, or ASIO?

Some of the older Delta cards don't have wonderful drivers. You may need to experiment with other drivers to make things work. I'm happiest with my setup (a RME Digiface), when using ASIO. MME work pretty well, though, too...

Make sure you have the latest versions of the software too... There were some early bugs with certain drivers conflicting with features (like ASIO drivers with POW-R dithering)

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
in XP you can only use WDM or ASIO...but i'm not entirely sure where to look to select it in Samplitude...

is it me or does the stock eq on the samplitude/sequoia mixer sound good...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hit "Y" to bring up the system preferences. Go to the Playback menu (at the top). You'll notice a list of devices (you'll want all checked) and at the bottom of that screen, you'll see a check box for driver model. Select your driver there.

As for the EQ... Yes, it does sound good. Most of Samplitude and Sequoia's effects are linear-phase which accounts for a lot of its good sound. They aren't colored sounding (like the Oxford EQs for example), but for a basic WYSISYG EQ, they are great.

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The eq's in Samp aren't phase linear but they do sound good!...like you said, not coloured, just transparent.....for coloured i'm playing around with the UAD-1 Cambridge eq at the moment......damn, this is a nice (plugin) eq........also great filters (this was what i was sorely missing in plugin land).
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i'll have to check that..i'll be damned if i didn't see that...but i do have version 6 so maybe it doesn't have that option yet...
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
ASIO is in Version 7 and up...

My understanding from a post that either Volker or Norman made at one point is that the EQ were indeed phase linear... This is also the case with the FFT, and I believe one other effect (Advanced Dynamic, I believe, but I could be wrong...)

I would highly recommend the upgrade to Version 7 (now 7.1). There have been some pretty huge improvements that make live much simpler (and mixes sound better). From the real time room simulator to latency compensation to ASIO and VST and POW-R dither. These aren't small changes.

--Ben
Old 30th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using Samp 7 for several months and am very happy with it. Very well designed piece of software, and very rich with high-quality features. It'd be great if ASIO supported device sharing but other than that I have yet to hit my head on a ceiling.
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
does it(ver 7) have OMF transport? that'll make life easier transporting between sonar....?
Old 1st May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not native... That said, the recommendation for OMF is to purchase a copy of Cuibono Soft's EDL convert Pro. It is only $200 or so...

www.cuibono-soft.com

We will be including it on the Sequoia turnkey systems...

--Ben
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
damn...i'ma have ta save up to get all that stuff...
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, at least EDL Convert Pro is pretty cheap in the scheme of things. If you want to upgrade to Sequoia. Through X-Vision, there should be some sort of upgrade path so you don't have to spend your money twice.

If you want a turnkey Sequoia rig that will work faster than @#$!, let me know...

--Ben
Old 2nd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what exactly is the turn key system? comes with proprietory H/W? i don't have the money i was just wondering
Old 3rd May 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not proprietary... A system that you plug in and go... It is constructed and configured for you before you get it.

The Sequoia turnkey systems can be made with a variety of sound cards, dsp cards and other options... Mine uses a Hammerfall DSP Digiface and a TC Powercore. I also have the Sony Oxford EQs, Waves NPP, and Masters Bundle... I will also eventually have some better restoration stuff... Probably Waves restoration and the Algorithmix NOVA...

--Ben
Old 8th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
does samplitude work with the mackie controller?
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes... There is a pretty large number of controllers that are supported. And via the mapping functions, just about any controller can be made to work with Samplitude and Sequoia.

--Ben
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just got samp 7...and I LOVE the mixer...i can't wait to get a mackie controller...****in feels like a real mixer minus the mouse of course
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The mixer is cool, but I couldn't live without having the ability to manipulate audio at the object level. To non-destructively be able to add or do anything to your audio is the coolest thing.

As for control surfaces, I might add that due to the fact that it is a relatively new feature (the support for so many of them), there are a few limitations. With the MC, right now, you can't get any of the expansion pieces to work (only the 8 faders at once as of now). That said, it has been promised that that would be in the next big upgrade (7.2, 7.3? still a couple months out, though unfortunately).

--Ben
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've been using a SAC 2.2 with Samp 7.1, got everything working except locator display. Unfortunately can't get Radikal boyz to answer e-mail yet... bastehds. I want to write my own interface for this thing.

Samplitude forum has been down for a while too, wanting to see what 7.11 brings in the forum of updates.

Man the editing in Samplitude is just amazing, I also could now not live without the ability to sling and mix audio around like paint.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
is it me or is it EXTREMELY stable....no drop outs hangs nothing....
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yup... I can count the number of times my Sequoia rig has crashed on me on the fingers of one hand. (and this is over 3 years of using it constantly) The crashes have also only happened in the Beta versions (that aren't released to the public).

And if you think editing is Samplitude is slick, you should see Sequoia. When my friends see me edit in Sequoia, they understand my frustrations with editing in Pro Tools (Slow Tools).

--Ben
Old 9th June 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Samplitude is great, but the Pyramix DAW is looking awfully good to me these days, and the reports on it's summing abilites (ala DAWSUM CD) make it even more tempting. Pyramix is a bit more capable than I need, but it would be nice to know the extra abilities are there should they ever be called upon.
Old 9th June 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Samplitude can't play DXI's????

and how do you do a count in? for example in order to record myself i have to press record then run to the mic so i want it to be delayed till i get to the mic

thanks
Old 16th June 2003
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Question Samplitude 7 or Logic 5.5 ?

How do you guys deal with midi? I have lots of midi keyboards and drummachines and I am used to Logic (2.01 on Atari - yeesss!!) but there is nothing coming past 5.5 for PC. The midi implementation is quite basic in Samplitude and I don't fancy running two programs or even computers just to have all the midi/ sequencing options. Should I just stick with Logic 5.5 ?
What are your thoughts?
πŸ“ Reply