Quantcast
Bare bones sequencer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Bare bones sequencer?
Old 28th April 2003
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bare bones sequencer?

Suspecting it still had my old MIDI songs, I dug out my old Mac. It still works and the MIDI files are there.

However, Steinberg no longer suppports Cubase Score (yep, it's that old), and there are no authorizations left on the master disk.

I have been able to import the MIDI files into PT 5.0.1 with limited success. It's been covered and I have to agree, older PT is not real sharp with the MIDI. Newer PT isn't that great with it either, from what I understand.

Logic would be overkill and probably wouldn't install on an old Performa (aka Crash King)... I think the OS is 7.5.1, possibly 8.1. The Performa has a wimpy little 75mhz processor, but I remember it running Cubase Score quite smoothly.

Given the circumstances, what can I do to get my MIDI songs playing back?

It would be great to have every MIDI track playing in PT along with my audio tracks, but how?

Is there some way to rig a bare bones sequencer through PT? Should I look around for ancient versions of Logic?

Many thanks in advance for sharing your ancient MIDI wisdom!

...p.s. - The Performa cost me two-thousand, five-hundred dollars new. I'll never get over that, but someday, even the cutting edge dual-mirror stuff will look archaic.
Old 28th April 2003
Mindreader

🎧 15 years
Can you import them into some kind of other ancient machine as a midi file after having 'fiddled' them on the mac?

For instance, get them all on one track on pro tools, then re-record the mess back into an atari via midi etc

or something

I've done something like this in the past

or pump the midi into a sequence 'player', the kind of thing that kareoke kings used to take to gigs to play all their cheesy sample roland modules? Should be able to pick one up dirt cheap.

Hmmm. pro 24. remember remember..linn drum...further back...live music (can barely remember that)
📝 Reply